official complaint of discrimination against a Social Security office

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Social Security Office should have effective procedures for complying with these requirements, determining the method of communication the deaf person prefers, and procuring interpreter services.

To request an interpreter at a local Social Security office, contact that office directly. Deaf callers may also call 1-800-325-0778 (TTY) and ask for an appointment with an interpreter at a specific local office. The national operator will arrange the appointment through the local office. If a local office refuses to provide an interpreter when requested, the Social Security Administration Office for Civil Rights and Equal Opportunity will accept and investigate complaints against non-complying offices.

To file an official complaint of discrimination against a Social Security office that refuses to provide an interpreter, contact the Social Security Administration at 410-966-7507 V, or at the following address:

Social Security Administration
Office of the General Counsel
General Law Division
Room 617, Altmeyer Bldg
6410 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21235

Ask the SSA to send Form SSA-437 (Civil Rights Discrimination Complaint Form).

I have had many problems with SSI office as whenever I had an appointment with them, I always requested for an interpreter but they always REFUSED! I was pissed off about that...so, I brought over my mother so she could help me out with it. It's so discriminatory! :madfawk:

I've noticed that some people bitch about ADA rights when they never asked for it in the first place. We can't expect them to know everything about us. For instance, I don't always need an interpreter.

Back