Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

I have a question about Closed Capitioned on Youtube of the "Switched at Birth".

Where can I find with the Closed Capitioned on the computer??

Thanks in advance! :)

It's says " I live outside of United States and cannot watch that show because I lives in Canada"..I have tried several other sites who lives in Canada but Just found out other night, There is no Canada on the sites because of the ABC Family tv channel and thought it is supposed to be ABC-E that means East that where I lives in there.

And also, I just found the Youtube that has "switched at birth" Thank god! but there is no closed capitioned either!

Me too, i really wanted to see that show but like you, live in Canada, no access. I hope they will show it in Canada soon.

Me too, i really wanted to see that show but like you, live in Canada, no access. I hope they will show it in Canada soon.

Me too! I really wants them to come in Canada with the tv channels..They better make it before Marlee will comes on June 20th!! I'm going NUTS! lol

We watched it and it's ok ok. They hired a hard of hearing actress to act as a deaf person but talks normally like a hearing person but pretends to talk like a deaf person. That is what I heard. It is a shame to the deaf actresses who are looking for a job.

We watched it and it's ok ok. They hired a hard of hearing actress to act as a deaf person but talks normally like a hearing person but pretends to talk like a deaf person. That is what I heard. It is a shame to the deaf actresses who are looking for a job.

I agree. It's BS that Networks hire someone that is cheaper to communicate rather than hire an actual deaf person and pay for an interpreter for the actor/actress.

All that money that deaf students put into acting classes go to waste because nobody wants to hire them. Really ticks me off.

Yiz

Just finished watching it. There were plenty of moments that made me cringe, either for the cheesy acting, the "Deaf" characters' inaccurate signing, or the at-times silly/contrived writing, but on the whole I was VERY, VERY impressed with this show. And entertained. I began to develop sympathy for the characters and I am interested to know where their lives are going to go. I'll definitely be watching this on a weekly basis to see how it develops.

To people with gripes so far: I say give this show time. It obviously can't address every issue of Deafness in one episode. But the instincts of the writers are good, and they've done their homework. Keep watching, and be sure to give feedback when necessary. It seems the producers are listening (I'm very surprised to see an ABC rep here on this site. Pretty cool. Hey, can I have a job writing for you? LOL)

Make no mistake about it, this is the first TV show of its kind: a mainstream program that can appeal to both Deaf and hearing audiences and be educational and entertaining at the same time. For many people watching this show, they will be entering a world they've never seen before. I thought all the hard truths it was trying to get at related to Deafness were spot-on. So far, I see no hidden agendas, and the writers and producers are obviously sympathetic to the Deaf experience.

The simcomming can be annoying, but remember this show is intended for both hearing and Deaf... actually, mostly hearing. It's doing a good job appealing to its audience, and take note of the fact that when two Deaf characters sign to each other, there is no voicing--just subtitles. I think the way communication modes are technically handled is good and will get better as the writers see what works and what doesn't.

One issue that needs to be addressed: MORE TRUE DEAF ACTORS! It was easy to tell that Emmet was the only character that was fluent in ASL.

Oh, and the title of the show, "Switched at Birth"? C'mon, use some imagination!

All in all, well done, ABC. My hat is off.

We watched it and it's ok ok. They hired a hard of hearing actress to act as a deaf person but talks normally

She calls her self deaf. But later in the show they point out that she is HOH. But her frind is deaf , on the show and in real life.

I will watch, and hope the ratings are good, and that more Deaf actors are brought in.

At least they are trying. Putting it down too much will just discourage any efforts in the right direction.

The set up of the story line was akward. In real life, children who were switched discovered it when a medical issue comes up. A transplant situation or blood type issue. In the first episode, one character just decides that she doesn't look like her parents and decides to get a genetic test. It doesn't really make sense to me. The show will probably improve after the akward set up.

I agree that Deaf actors should play he Deaf characters.

Back