Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

Ok, thank you so much! :) I will watched it tomorrow.

Bay is EFFING hot!!!!!
The previews seemed to make it seem like a Wholesome Family Girly Girl show
It did seem to be a run of the mill show....but the clueless hearie parents totally and completely cracked me up.

Bay is EFFING hot!!!!!
The previews seemed to make it seem like a Wholesome Family Girly Girl show
It did seem to be a run of the mill show....but the clueless hearie parents totally and completely cracked me up.

Ha ha! Yeah, I agreed. I really like that show very much. It's really great. Now I'm forward to watch it again next Monday. :D

A few points for ABC family to take into consideration....

We’d love to hear what you think about this unique premise that will be just as educational is it is entertaining![/I]

Would love to hear what you all think of the concept.

1. Concept is good. Finally a show that puts it out there about deafness, the culture, the community, etc. Thank you for this. It was awesome to see mom stand up for her daughter and explain some of the nuances of deafness. Cochlear implants are NOT always the answer. I really liked to watch the mom get riled up about ignorance of deafness and put it out there. :ty:

2. Sim-com: Really? I don't know many who do sim-com when talking with someone who understands sign. Please, can you limit the sim-com? There are captions when there is signing between deaf girl/deaf boy, but mom and grams understand sign, so why must the girl sim-com to them? :shock:

3. Speech-reading/lip reading: Why must everyone make the assumption that this is easy for deaf people? It is not. I would like to see some discussion on this in one of the shows. :roll:

4. The boy CHOSE to not learn to speak? NO! This is not always a choice! Some deaf people choose to learn to speak, some are forced into it from many years of speech therapy and then make the conscious decision to speak, but not all have that option. Please make this point clear in an episode. :eek3:

I think I'm done for now. This is also cool to me that ABC Family wants to know what we think, so rock on! Thanks for asking for OUR opinion as opposed to just throwing the Deaf community out there with a bunch of hearing opinions only! Thank you! :D

I went to the Hulu.com to watch "Switched at Birth" but I lives in Canada..What am I'm supposed to watch that day?

Thanks!

1st off ...thinks to ABC for putting it on hulu. All in all I thought it was pretty good. I loved that the mom tried to yell and the line " shes not broke shes just deaf " worked well

but, I would have liked to have seen them trying to learn ASL, and finding out that you can't do it in 5 minutes.

edit: As some one who is late HH , I find that the adjustment the blond family is going throw is pretty realistic.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERTS! DON'T SHOOT ME! LOL

Watched it and boy is Bay's family a bunch of ignorant *bleep* *bleep*......

And the father with the CI issues, OMG! That really riled me up.

Some of the ignorant issues brought up a lot of feelings from my personal past that I had to deal with, I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way. LOL

Personally, if my real parents acted the way Bay's parent has done, I'd avoid them like the plague. I would've said something to the effect, "Why would I want to get to know my racist and ignorant parents?? Why would I want to be anything like you guys??"

As far as being rich, I've learned that money can't buy happiness. Sure it's a struggle to be poor, but it also humbles me. I prefer to be humbled than be a rich ignorant/bigoted snot.

That's just me....

Yiz

I emailed everyone I know (hearing, deaf, etc.) to reminds them to watch it. Got many "thanks for the reminder"
Then I watch 120 seconds of it and turn away from it. My issue has nothing to do with deaf culture, H.A., C.I. ASL, (and certainly not) sex. I immediately caught where ABC was going with this and they should leave the word "family" out of their title. I won't say anymore since I know I won't find any support here.

I emailed everyone I know (hearing, deaf, etc.) to reminds them to watch it. Got many "thanks for the reminder"
Then I watch 120 seconds of it and turn away from it. My issue has nothing to do with deaf culture, H.A., C.I. ASL, (and certainly not) sex. I immediately caught where ABC was going with this and they should leave the word "family" out of their title. I won't say anymore since I know I won't find any support here.

Yeah, I'm kinda watching the show while looking at it sideways. I'm a little suspicious that it may have some "Audist" agenda leaning on the show.

But it's only the first episode, so time will tell as we learn more from each episode. Just hope it doesn't get me all POed to the point that I won't watch it anymore.

Yiz

[FONT=&quot]Yay! So glad that everybody is going to watch the show! What did you think of the premiere? If you missed it, you can always watch it here! I’m so so so excited for next week’s episode too!!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yay! So glad that everybody is going to watch the show! What did you think of the premiere? If you missed it, you can always watch it here! I’m so so so excited for next week’s episode too!!![/FONT]

Thanks.. I have not watched the show yet.

Is the show on your link also Closed Captioned?

I thought I had ABC family, but I just have ABC.

Yeah, I'm kinda watching the show while looking at it sideways. I'm a little suspicious that it may have some "Audist" agenda leaning on the show.

I'm pretty sure the only agenda, is to get people to watch the show.
I kinda think the blond parents are going to be audoist, but it looks like they are going to have both stereotypes on the show.

I'm pretty sure the only agenda, is to get people to watch the show.
I kinda think the blond parents are going to be audist, but it looks like they are going to have both stereotypes on the show.

Yes, I do believe that you are correct in this regard...

Yiz

The local Deaf community here tuned in. The show was interesting. I think that it'll be better when the characters are fully developed.

I wonder if the producers researched Deaf culture. The speaking while signing was weird. So was the interpreting contemporaneously with the dialogue.

My role models are my elders here. I really respect and admire them. It would be great if the series showed older Deaf people mentoring younger Deaf people.

Back