October - 3rd coldest on record for nation

I'm surprised they don't have those snow maker machines in Switzerland. They have them here in the US on the East Coast to make artificial snow for the ski resorts.

Even glaciers covering mount everest in himalaya is melting at a rapid rate. But it's all okay according to Koknut. Even when natural diasters becomes the norm, Koknut will stay out there in his raincoat, tied to his house with a rope, and tell us to calm down, it's all normal, nature have allways been like this, it's just some minor activities at the sun, lol.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Himalayan glaciers 'melting fast'

I'm surprised they don't have those snow maker machines in Switzerland. They have them here in the US on the East Coast to make artificial snow for the ski resorts.

People travel far for long rides down the alps in soft, dry powder snow. Snow machines are only good for small slopes, something that can be made almost everywhere. No one want to travel all the way to Switzerland for slopes with hard and icy artifical snow. That's why snow machines won't help tourist destinations in Switzerland.

I am startin' to feel cold during the nights. The last time I checked the temp. was 11 in degree. :shock:

I am glad that I sleep like a baby without tossin' and turns. It's about time!! :lol:

Actually, no, Foxrac. The Arctic ice isn't melting away. It has waxed and waned. What's more if you look at the graph on sea ice extent from 2002 to present you can see the red line representing 2009 data shows it to be within the range of variability between 2002 data and 2007 data. In fact, it's "recovering" if you want to use that word beginning 2008 and 2009 seeing that sea ice extent began to "recover" since then.
IJIS Web Site

So, no. Polar bears are not losing their homes. There is no scientific basis for that.

For the last 10 years global temperature has not gone up but declined when predictions were saying it'd be going up. That never happened. It's going the other way! And we're at the lowest cycle on sun's energy output where it cycles up and down every 11 years.
http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/Zurich_Color_Small.jpg

Hey, Koko -- I used to live in Alaska and I moved down here in Florida from Alaska last year. And, yes I've seen the Glacier is gettin' shrink in Juneau, Alaska. The Glacier's BLUEST ICE is breakin' away into the water, makin' its chunk ice floatin'. I think it has to do with AXIS shift and plus, the sun's flares burst against the earth's atmosphere, causin' the heat buildin' up in our ozone layer. I believe that there's some holes in ozone layer. That ozone layer is supposed to be protectin' us from gettin' the heat or bake from the sun or somethin'.
As for the Polar bears -- they move to another spots, leavin' their "real homes/or dens" to become ghost homes/or dens. ( Ghost towns ). They are " dyin' " slowly due to climate changes.

Hey, Koko -- I used to live in Alaska and I moved down here in Florida from Alaska last year. And, yes I've seen the Glacier is gettin' shrink in Juneau, Alaska. The Glacier's BLUEST ICE is breakin' away into the water, makin' its chunk ice floatin'. I think it has to do with AXIS shift and plus, the sun's flares burst against the earth's atmosphere, causin' the heat buildin' up in our ozone layer. I believe that there's some holes in ozone layer. That ozone layer is supposed to be protectin' us from gettin' the heat or bake from the sun or somethin'.
As for the Polar bears -- they move to another spots, leavin' their "real homes/or dens" to become ghost homes/or dens. ( Ghost towns ). They are " dyin' " slowly due to climate changes.

1. ozone layer does not protect us from sun heat. its primary function is to protect us from sun radiation called UV. That's why you don't have skin cancer or skin boils.

2. CO2/cloud PREVENTS heat from leaving Earth because we need it. that's why your current hometown (Florida) is nice and warm. The temperature of heat is dependent (not entirely) on amount of CO2/cloud in the sky.

3. no the axis is not shifting. not for another million years.

Even glaciers covering mount everest in himalaya is melting at a rapid rate. But it's all okay according to Koknut. Even when natural diasters becomes the norm, Koknut will stay out there in his raincoat, tied to his house with a rope, and tell us to calm down, it's all normal, nature have allways been like this, it's just some minor activities at the sun, lol.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Himalayan glaciers 'melting fast'

Glaciers have advanced and retreated over the hundreds and millions of years all over the Earth. This isn't the first time happening. Heck, we even have a glacier that formed inside an active volcano that has slowly been advancing over the last couple of decade. How is that possible? Even Fox glaciers in New Zealand are advancing, and has been since 1985.

As for Switzerland? Allow me to run around and hyperventilate some more first and scream for mercy from the snow gods despite the fact that last year Europe had an early snow season. This year? A little late but it'll get rectified very soon.

Last year's ski season in Europe started early and saw an astounding amount of snow in most of the Alpine resorts. In contrast, this year is pretty poor, in fact, it looks as though there's less snow than is normally expected at this time.

There is some welcome news though. This week will turn colder across the Alps with some fresh snow from this weekend and on and off through this coming week. The western Alps are likely to see the heaviest falls. If you want to see the snow for yourself you could look at the webcams!
On The Slopes | ski | Alps | Cairngorm | The Weather Girls | Sky News Blogs

That was news from today, November 29.

We had the same kind of glut here in the United States when snow arrived late and that many ski operations suffered as a result such as the Northeast enjoyed a good year while the west coast a bad year. You see, if you haven't learned by now you can see that conditions vary year to year in various regions. This year the west coast of United States into Canada is experiencing above normal snow fall, even Whistler ski is seeing this with great joy with the record snow while Europe suffered. But it was the exact opposite last year.
Whistler: too much snow for ski? No such thing | Travel | The Observer

So, exactly, what are you complaining about? That Mother Nature is unfair?

Polar bears are not dying but continue to thrive and grow.
.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Glaciers continue to advance in Alaska at an amazing pace. Yakutat, AK is about 200 miles to the northwest of Juneau.
CDAPress.com - Print Version

Polar bears will become evolve to live regular land and find food to eat from our refridge

Himalayan glaciers retreating? Nah...

Science 13 November 2009:
Vol. 326. no. 5955, pp. 924 - 925
DOI: 10.1126/science.326.5955.924

News of the Week
Climate Change:
No Sign Yet of Himalayan Meltdown, Indian Report Finds
by Pallava Bagla
Raina's report, Himalayan Glaciers: A State-of-Art Review of Glacial Studies, Glacial Retreat and Climate Change, concurs with that assessment. But it questions a link to global warming. Findings in the past few years, it states, demonstrate that "many" Himalayan glaciers are stable or have advanced and that the rate of retreat for "many others" has slowed. The report does not enumerate glaciers in either category.

The Raina report draws on published studies and unpublished findings from half a dozen Indian groups who have analyzed remote-sensing satellite data or conducted arduous surveys at remote sites often higher than 5000 meters. The report revises perceptions of a number of glaciers, including two iconic ones. For example, the 30-kilometer-long Gangotri glacier, source of the Ganges River, retreated an average of 22 meters a year and shed a total of 5% of its length from 1934 to 2003. But in 2004 and 2005, the retreat slowed to about 12 meters a year, and since September 2007 Gangotri has been "practically at a standstill," according to Raina's report, which cites, among other observations, field measurements by ecologist Kireet Kumar of the G. B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development in Almora. Even more stable is Siachin glacier in Kashmir, where Indian and Pakistani forces are stationed eyeball to eyeball at 6000 meters. Claims reported in the popular press that Siachin has shrunk as much as 50% are simply wrong, says Raina, whose report notes that the glacier has "not shown any remarkable retreat in the last 50 years."

Several Western experts who have conducted studies in the region agree with Raina's nuanced analysis—even if it clashes with IPCC's take on the Himalayas. The "extremely provocative" findings "are consistent with what I have learned independently," says Jeffrey S. Kargel, a glaciologist at the University of Arizona, Tucson. Many glaciers in the Karakoram Mountains, which straddle India and Pakistan, have "stabilized or undergone an aggressive advance," he says, citing new evidence gathered by a team led by Michael Bishop, a mountain geomorphologist at the University of Nebraska, Omaha. Kenneth Hewitt, a glaciologist at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Canada, who just returned from an expedition to mountain K2, says he observed five glacier advances and a single retreat in the Karakoram. Such evidence "challenges the view that the upper Indus glaciers are ‘disappearing’ quickly and will be gone in 30 years," Hewitt says. "There is no evidence to support this view and, indeed, rates of retreat have been less in the past 30 years than the previous 60 years," he says.

Science/AAAS | Science Magazine: Sign In

Settled science on global warming, eh?

More like a sham.

Polar bears are not dying but continue to thrive and grow.
.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Glaciers continue to advance in Alaska at an amazing pace. Yakutat, AK is about 200 miles to the northwest of Juneau.
CDAPress.com - Print Version

That's fine if you ignore my post and it sounds like between conservative and liberal has different opinion on global warming.

It seems no win situation, however I had seen ice has been shrinking, that what they already proved in picture.

Minnesota has second warmest November ever

The three warmest recorded Novembers in my state all happened within the last 10 years.
Source
: After Warm November, Winter Starts in Minnesota

After Warm November, Winter Starts in Minnesota
Meteorological winter starts in US, cold coming
Published : Tuesday, 01 Dec 2009, 2:51 PM CST

MINNEAPOLIS - November 2009 was the second warmest November on record in Minnesota in a month that brought plenty of extra time outside and almost no snow. All of that is about to change, however, just in time for the start of meteorological winter.

Trace amounts of snow were recorded in November in Minnesota, but no enough to reach a measurement in inches. The average snowfall for November in the state is 10 inches. In November 2008, Minneapolis recorded 4.3 inches of snow.

Top 5 Warmest Novembers
1871-Present , Minneapolis

Average Temperature (°F)
1. 46.4° 2001
2. 42.7° 2009
3. 41.8° 1999
4. 41.2° 1899
5. 40.3° 1931

Woohoo! I may get snow here on Friday! Rare for here to get snow!!!

The three warmest recorded Novembers in my state all happened within the last 10 years.
Source
: After Warm November, Winter Starts in Minnesota

After Warm November, Winter Starts in Minnesota
Meteorological winter starts in US, cold coming
Published : Tuesday, 01 Dec 2009, 2:51 PM CST

MINNEAPOLIS - November 2009 was the second warmest November on record in Minnesota in a month that brought plenty of extra time outside and almost no snow. All of that is about to change, however, just in time for the start of meteorological winter.

Trace amounts of snow were recorded in November in Minnesota, but no enough to reach a measurement in inches. The average snowfall for November in the state is 10 inches. In November 2008, Minneapolis recorded 4.3 inches of snow.

Top 5 Warmest Novembers
1871-Present , Minneapolis

Average Temperature (°F)
1. 46.4° 2001
2. 42.7° 2009
3. 41.8° 1999
4. 41.2° 1899
5. 40.3° 1931

Again, more local/semi-regional in nature involving one state, not a whole country or continent in the Northern latitude range. There is no trend in the temperatures given but breaks. Though Oklahoma had its coolest October on record and ten other states had their top five coolest such months. Heck, even southern New Mexico got slammed with snow and cold over the last few days.
Parts Of Southern New Mexico Get Pounded With Snow - News Story - KFOX El Paso

Your point? You know that we have been cooling off for the last 11 years, right? And that CO2 isn't the major culprit on global warming/cooling?

How is it, that with your claims of a scientific advanced education and a professional in the field, you constantly ignore the fact that global warming does not refer to temp increase only. The shift is bidirectional, and is a reference to extremes in either direction.:roll:

Even the title of his thread betrays either a lack of the knowledge of the fact global warming doesn't refer to temp increases only but to bidirectional shifts and the extremes either direction or intellectual dishonesty. I have reason to doubt that he's actually has an advanced education based on this thread and one post summed up what many who followed that thread must have thought as they read it.

Er, remember those who coined "global warming" first in the effort to focus on a claim that increasing global temp was directly caused by man's introduction of CO2. And it was those eco-zealots in bed with politicians and policy makers who made a run for using that phrase for the purpose to create a "scary" scenario which never panned out to the degree of such catastrophic details. And ya'll can't figure out why the Australian version of the Cap and Trade failed catastrophically a few days ago?

DS, I'd be happy to go head to head to you on environmental matters in the field of geoscience. Though I think you do not have the necessary background in the geosciences based on your responses it'd be a challenge for you to try. I'd welcome the effort and hear your opinions. It's really simple. This whole "global warming" thing is a sham. You don't know until you actually do the research and read rather than hear it from the MSM do the thinking for you.

So, if I show that November was the 2nd warmest, and the top 3 are in the last ten years, what does that say about the title of this thread? It is a snapshot of one month in the US, and mine is a Minnsota snapshot for the last 10+ years. Call it a wash.

Another phenomenon that has occured; our dewpoints during summer have risen dramatically over the last 15 years. Part of that is blamed on irrigation that is done south of me. When the hot southerly airflow goes over the central plains, it picks up some of the airborne water particles. Then that same air comes over to me, and it is more humid. A local situation? Yes.

I just find it fascinating that people don't think humans have done damage to Mother Earth by being careless and wasteful. How do you feel about all the plastics we use for convenience foods? I find it foolhardy to see things like "Lunchables" advertised; that sort of product. "Use it and toss it" philosophy will be our legacy.

Again, I worry about the future in a different way, not so much on what kind of car I can afford if they keep taxes lower. Materialism is not my bag.

Back