Obama's Grandmother Died!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that from my friend....sad! A day before Election day! RIP Grandma!

I was told that from my friend....sad! A day before Election day! RIP Grandma!

Yep, a very poor timing for Obama!

Just a day away being elected for President (high likely)... sad!

She passed away only 24 hours before election day. How sad. :( :(

Obama was extremely close to his grandmother and nothing will ever take her place, but hopefully a win tomorrow will help ease the pain somewhat. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Obama family. :(

Wonder as if it would possibly affect the vote day planning for Obama, if any?

Wonder as if it would possibly affect the vote day planning for Obama, if any?

I was thinking the same thing.....the 'sympathy' vote.

The other thing that crossed my mind is that I hope she didn't die alone.....

The other thing that crossed my mind is that I hope she didn't die alone.....

Me too.

I also hope she died in her sleep. My mother had pancreatic cancer and passed away in her sleep, thank goodness for that.

Very good article... remember, his grandmother raised him til he graduated from high school so he was very close to his grandmother and her death, I imagine, is very hard for him even though it's expected. It's the timing that's probably the hardest:

Obama's grandmother dies a day before election - Yahoo! News

I send my sympathy to Obama and Toot's loved ones.

Barack Obama's Beloved Grandmother Dies
Barack Obama's Beloved Grandmother Dies - Tributes, Barack Obama : People.com

Barack Obama's grandmother, who raised him while his mother pursued a career in anthropology, has died, the Democratic presidential candidate and his half-sister announced.

Just a week-and-a-half ago, Obama suspended his campaign for two days to pay a visit to his ailing grandmother in Hawaii.

In a statement released Monday, Obama, 47, and Maya Soetoro-Ng, 38, said: "It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility."

Dunham was 86, and Obama called her "Toot." In a campaign ad earlier this year, he described her as the daughter of a Midwest oil company clerk who "taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland."

The family statement adds: "She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure.

"Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer."

Sad to see anyone lose a love one. Especially during imprortant times.

My condolences to Obama and his family.

I'm listening to Obama on TV right now and he said "Toots" died peacefully in her sleep.

Obama said his grandmother may not see the election day two weeks ago so it was obvious he expected her not to make it longer.

My deepest condolences are gone to Obama and his family.

I heard about this on the news earlier this evening.

It's sad, especially when it is the day before the historical election event.

My prayers and thoughts goes to Obama and his family. :(

Obama was extremely close to his grandmother and nothing will ever take her place, but hopefully a win tomorrow will help ease the pain somewhat. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Obama family. :(

Yep. We've got to make sure he wins this one for Grandma!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back