NYC’s deaf homeless people to gain interpreters in shelters

It is very rare to find d/Deaf people becoming homeless in United States. Here in New Mexico, there were no d/Deaf people being homeless. I asked my sister about that almost a year ago. She said she had never got any d/Deaf becoming homeless. So I think it is rare to find few d/Deaf people homeless. This is sad. :(

I do hope NYC will provide special interpreters for d/Deaf people to talk to counselors and/or need professional help like taking care of their health. Some of them might be from the institution hospitals and they need to go into the halfway house first before they can learn how to live on their own. If they can not do it and got dump out on the streets with no help them to get their needs and accommodations. Then the people who dump them are heartless and cruel. I know they are not the only ones. It is also other hearing people who were dumped out from the institution hospitals and made them homeless. That is a shame of what the professional workers had done to them.

Feel there are more homeless deaf that are being accounted for!...Even incarnated. Very sad...so kudos to NYC for making us aware of the problems.

That awful beb are they Americans who homeless from institutions.Civerlized country not very Civerlized flinging people out on streets.I would imagine happens more than we know.the big powers keep quiet about this.Not only in America happens here but not known it happen with deaf although I know lot of depression in Deaf community.

I've been homeless more times than I care to count within the last five years... and it was always a pain with shelters.

Good on NYC for doing this for the D/deaf population.

It is very rare to find d/Deaf people becoming homeless in United States. Here in New Mexico, there were no d/Deaf people being homeless. I asked my sister about that almost a year ago. She said she had never got any d/Deaf becoming homeless. So I think it is rare to find few d/Deaf people homeless. This is sad. :(

I do hope NYC will provide special interpreters for d/Deaf people to talk to counselors and/or need professional help like taking care of their health. Some of them might be from the institution hospitals and they need to go into the halfway house first before they can learn how to live on their own. If they can not do it and got dump out on the streets with no help them to get their needs and accommodations. Then the people who dump them are heartless and cruel. I know they are not the only ones. It is also other hearing people who were dumped out from the institution hospitals and made them homeless. That is a shame of what the professional workers had done to them.

I believe that deaf people usually end up in group home or rental assistance instead of homeless so that why we don't see deaf homeless people.

Bebonang, if it is rare to find homeless deaf people in your area, why is that a sad thing?

I think Beb means it sad there homeless people and if her sister don't see them they still there but go unnoticed not getting help and homeless is sad who or what ever you are

I think Beb means it sad there homeless people and if her sister don't see them they still there but go unnoticed not getting help and homeless is sad who or what ever you are

Exactly what might happen if there are some d/Deaf people who are homeless without being noticed.

I hope that Foxrac is correct about group home or rental assistance that might help d/Deaf people get off the streets. But never know they are out there without awareness of getting the assistance they need.

As for mikemike, it is still wrong to be homeless no matter if they are hearing or deaf. No, they do not have equal society. They were discriminated from sleeping in tents or on the bench or sides of the buildings. Not only that they can be harmed by police or any gang members or anyone who tried to get rid of them by killing them or hurt them. So no, it is not equal at all.

Exactly what might happen if there are some d/Deaf people who are homeless without being noticed.

I hope that Foxrac is correct about group home or rental assistance that might help d/Deaf people get off the streets. But never know they are out there without awareness of getting the assistance they need.

As for mikemike, it is still wrong to be homeless no matter if they are hearing or deaf. No, they do not have equal society. They were discriminated from sleeping in tents or on the bench or sides of the buildings. Not only that they can be harmed by police or any gang members or anyone who tried to get rid of them by killing them or hurt them. So no, it is not equal at all.

The group homes are usually unfavorable to deaf people, especially with high function and none to mild developmentally disabled. I know some court cases force deaf people to live in group home that against their will, even they are high function. It is depending on states, but in DC metro (especially DC and MD), deaf people with high function are not qualify for group home.

In worst cases, I prefer to be homeless to maintain the freedom over living in restrictive housing, such as group home, also I rather to take care of myself as well.

The group homes are usually unfavorable to deaf people, especially with high function and none to mild developmentally disabled. I know some court cases force deaf people to live in group home that against their will, even they are high function. It is depending on states, but in DC metro (especially DC and MD), deaf people with high function are not qualify for group home.

In worst cases, I prefer to be homeless to maintain the freedom over living in restrictive housing, such as group home, also I rather to take care of myself as well.

I agree with you but if you prefer homeless, then there might be violence against you. It is not safe to be out in the streets. You need protection so that is why we need housing for protection. Geeze, why can authorities leave us the way we are and decide which housing that we want to live in, not tell us how to run our lives. :(

I agree with you but if you prefer homeless, then there might be violence against you. It is not safe to be out in the streets. You need protection so that is why we need housing for protection. Geeze, why can authorities leave us the way we are and decide which housing that we want to live in, not tell us how to run our lives. :(

Seriously, I have gut about being in jail is better than group home because you will share most of similar intelligence as other inmates and opportunities to challenge with anyone.

That's only true for hearing people but I heard about deaf people have terrible experience at jail.

Overall, jail is gross.

BTW, the violence is much less to non-existent in small cities and rural towns that where socioeconomic isn't big issue.

I believe that mikemike means that it's not hearing homeless people only. In other words, there are also deaf homeless people.

Anyway, this thread is about deaf homeless people staying in NYC shelters and needing interpreter services there. The link that RR posted provides good news. I hope other cities and states will follow.

I am sure that some deaf homeless people get SSI but they still can't afford the apt rent that is usually higher than what they get from the government. That's sad.

Back