Not Deaf enough??

Lillys dad,

Many good points. Found myself nodding in agreement as I read your posts.
Hope you are a Cardinal fan, as it must be fun to be in St. Louis tonight!
Rick

So I guess because I only lost my hearing a year ago and still trying to learn ASL, I cannot even be accepted into the deaf culture even though I am 100% deaf? So I'm stuck. Hearing people ignore me and the deaf culture won't accept me either ? BULLCRAP. I'm trying to understand all of this. Aliboo

So I guess because I only lost my hearing a year ago and still trying to learn ASL, I cannot even be accepted into the deaf culture even though I am 100% deaf? So I'm stuck. Hearing people ignore me and the deaf culture won't accept me either ? BULLCRAP. I'm trying to understand all of this. Aliboo

Aliboo
Even late Deaf as yourself, Learn ASL, Go into your area Deaf Community... The Deaf commuinty & Deaf ppl wqill ACCEPT you. Unless you go there and try to take over orchange them! Yes you have to accect their ways ! Is it hard? No! Yes some may not accept you "IF" you go in the Deaf Commuinty and stay with hearing world values! The Deaf Community will be a whole new world for you.
Myself know that Deaf Community's NEVER tell people they are not deaf enough to be accept. They accept everyone, untill that person does something unaccept,and even "if" they do something wrong the Deaf will tell them help they understand why ! "If" the person don't listen then they will ask not to come back,And/or ignore.
Hope this help you understand more about my Grandma LMM world. Please find your area Deaf Community, Even if you have to drive a-way to the close one. They will be more then happy to help you!
Have a nice Sunday day,

LMM Granddaughter

With the black issues. I am a cop. I spent several years working in a very rough part of St.Louis that was 98% black. I have become very firmiliar with racial issues within the black community. Like most issues that deal with bias, they are unfounded and based on insecurity with self. Due to ones own insecurities and inadequacies, people project their own issues upon others.
The issues of not being deaf enough, black enough, jewish enough, or almost any other "enough" in life are almost completely based in the ignorance level of the person making the statement.
Being a white cop in a black area, I have seen more than my fair share of racism. I used to ignore racists. I never bothered to try to understand why they were the way they were. After years of dealing with it, I realized that racism is nothing more than a bias based on ignorance and stupidity, nothing more. I have a similar outlook on the whole "not ______ enough" crowd.

When my daughter gets old enough to start understanding deaf issues, I will explain the" not deaf enough" crowd is the same as the hearing people that treat her differently because she is deaf. ALL of these people are insecure with who they are. They are also ignorant and stupid people. I will strongly advise her to ignore them and stay away from them. The world is a hard enough place without this level of stupidity.

Relax. They will accept you. It may take time for you to fully be a part, but they won't reject you. Yes, I have gone through it before.

So ridiculous. How would any of you Galludet types feel if a guy was denied a position because he was born deaf and they wanted a hearing person? You would have a shit fit and cry about prejudice. You should all be ashamed.

Ashamed of what? The situation at Gallaudet is nothing like what you describe.

Spare me, that's exactly what it is. The University is in piss poor shape with a pathetic graduation percentage. Yet somehow these kids KNOW what skill set would be appropriate to help turn things around? What universities have they run? Business? Anything? They have the experience and knowledge to pick a President, CEO type? No they do not.

So regardless of how they spin this, they protested based on one thing alone and that is pathetic.

Spare me. These kids are not trying to pick the next president. However, they know Jane well enough to know she isn't the right person. Of course, you conveniently forget the Faculty, Staff, and Alumni and instead blaming it all on the "kids".

Pathetic is how you can determine what it is all about, from your faraway location, better than those who were right there.

LMM, What do you mean "TRY TO TELL THEM" what do do or change them. I DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF POWER. I just want to be accepted somewhere. Instead of being ignored. I do not know any other person here that is deaf. I joined ALLDEAF because I do not know any other person that is deaf. As far as THEM, I am one of them. I am deaf. I'm just trying to learn what I need to learn. Which happens to be a lot. I don't want to intrude on somebody else's CLUB. I grew up trying to be ACCEPTED like everyone else. Now that I lost my hearing, I have to do it all over again? Hearing people make it very clear I am not part of their world. They treat me like I did this to get attention. When I was growing up, I was the one who was befriending the person who couldn't stick up for themselves, because that's the way I was taught. It made me an outcast as much as the person I was befriending. Yes people are cruel and ignorant. But we ALL have to deal with that reality. I get pushed and shoved when people want to get past me cuz they think I'm ignoring them. I got reprimanded at work before I lost my hearing for not answering someone. I lost the hearing in one ear about 20 years ago. So this happens to lot of people not just me. We all need to work together to find sollutions. I don't consider myself special. I just want due respect and to be taken seriously when I talk. I even noticed that I am having problems with my speech. I forget how to say some words. So if I'm intruding then I'm sorry. Aliboo

Spare me. These kids are not trying to pick the next president. However, they know Jane well enough to know she isn't the right person. Of course, you conveniently forget the Faculty, Staff, and Alumni and instead blaming it all on the "kids".

Pathetic is how you can determine what it is all about, from your faraway location, better than those who were right there.

I have the feeling that Le Shat came here to troll the site. I notice all of the posts by Le Shat have been deleted.

I have the feeling that Le Shat came here to troll the site. I notice all of the posts by Le Shat have been deleted.

OH! Thanks for the heads up! I should have figure that out. Oh well, everyone will think I'm weird, arguing with myself.

I find it amusing about being not deaf enough.

However, I recently learned from a source online (think it was from a reporter) that Jane (JKF) was the very first person saying the word, "not deaf enough". True?!

But I will find that souce link to provide but have to wait on a while to let the thunderstorm squall passing on my area any time very soon - hope no black out lol.

Yep, Jane was the very first person saying that line. Well done on your research. :applause:

I am Deaf enough into the Deaf Community!

Not deaf enough is another word of the meaning of those who does not even share the same values, history, beliefs, language, and behavior as people that were raise deaf that has deaf parents, went to school for the deaf, strongly ASL, is very involvement with the Deaf Culture, it's history.

It's like this, if you were raise mainstream, oral, learned sign language during your late adulthood years, speak with your voice, know SEE language instead of ASL as your primary sign language, then you are not deaf enough, that's how those deaf images sees you as.

They are those types that pass judgmental on others. We are all deaf no matter what our experience was when we were growing up. We are all equal in my eyes.

I agree with you Cheri-
At first I've felt being offended by the protesters. Not anymore! Within a few months I've kept getting alot of mixed messages about Jane F as a Deaf president of Gallaudet from my friends and others. I learned ASL as I came to Gallaudet when I was only 19. Ever Since, Deaf Community has been always been my "family" then my own hearing family! Irony many thought I grew up in Deaf school bec I sign fluently. Of course I love my family very much but I've been left out tooo often. So I am Deaf enough in this Deaf Community - as a family! I respect Jane F as a Deaf late signer woman (like me!) but after I saw the Deaf Protest/Gallaudet - videos at the YOUTUBE.com website. I finally realized even Jane does sign pretty well but she hasn't been into the Deaf community. Even Jane is an extremely bright woman, she has no self-confidence of herself at all. I hope Jane will learn one day to accept herself of who she is and where she stands (probably not thou).

.......When my daughter gets old enough to start understanding deaf issues, I will explain the" not deaf enough" crowd is the same as the hearing people that treat her differently because she is deaf. ALL of these people are insecure with who they are. They are also ignorant and stupid people. I will strongly advise her to ignore them and stay away from them. The world is a hard enough place without this level of stupidity.[/QUOTE]

Way to go! I agree with you. An excellent point you have here.

not deaf enough?

Not deaf enough can mean many things. It can mean someone can hear too well or is not connected enough to the deaf culture.
I read once that not deaf enough mean you can hear too well and that not Deaf enough means you are not connected enough to the deaf culture.
Fran

It means a lot of different things...
  • You're deaf, not Deaf (notice the big 'D'?). In other words, you don't exactly fit in the profile for Deaf Pride or Deaf Culture.
  • You're hard of hearing.
  • You hang out with too many hearing people.
  • You don't sign ASL fluently.
  • Etc...

That made me laugh! My scenario was slightly different. Some accept me, some don't. This is mine.

I became deaf due to medication at the age of 3.
My family is hearing. they wanted to sign but i refused. why be different?
I didnt get along well with the deaf kids. I was a sensitive child. oh well
I started mainstreaming at 8 and loved it. later graduated in my home school district and didnt want to go to a 'deaf oriented' college
got my first CI at 18, learned to love it quickly. became bilateral at 22.
my first bf was deaf. met him at 19 our views didn't match much 2 yrs later. I always felt better dating hearing men.
I didn't feel very comfortable at deaf clubs.
i learned SEE since the age of 4 due to the school. learned ASL at 20/21
i hung out at asl events but hung out with ASL students because they are more fun.

I have been told that I'm not supportive of deaf people - which in other words, I am not deaf enough.

Let's count the ways, shall we?

1) I was born to hearing parents - it doesn't matter that I was born deaf.

2) I grew up in a hearing family - another strike against me.

3) I went to an oral school for the deaf - horrors!

4) I lipread, therefore, I have another black mark against me.

5) I did not learn sign language until I was 28. Oh, the shame!

6) I do not work with deaf people. OMG...

7) I am the only deaf person working with hearing people. Tsk..tsk.

8) I only see deaf people when I socialize. ("I never felt connected to the deaf community...")

9) I only use PSE. I guess ASLTA will have to go to war against me, huh?

10) I only use sign language when I'm around deaf, otherwise, I'm still a pure oralist. (Hey, time to mark DD as a ant-social personality)

11) Only my 1st cousin (who was born deaf, but does the same things as I do above) and I sign in my family. No one else does.

12) We just ain't deaf enough to satisfy everyone. Who in the heck cares?

I guess it's time to mark me as a heretic, ban me from the Deaf community, throw me out of AllDeaf, and rip up my membership card as a deaf person.

The main thing - and I've always believed this - is that if you are HEARING IMPAIRED, then you are DEAF. It doesn't matter if you are an oralist, wears a BTE or a CI, speaks or doesn't speak, wave your hands around, thump your foot on the floor for attention...what I believe is that...if you are Deaf, then you are DEAF, period.

There is no such thing, and there shouldn't be in the first place, as not being deaf enough!!!

We should embrace our diversity as a deaf community as we embrace our identites - and I say, if you think I AIN'T DEAF ENOUGH, you can stick it up your precious little a**h***.

That made me laugh! My scenario was slightly different. Some accept me, some don't. This is mine.

I became deaf due to medication at the age of 3.
My family is hearing. they wanted to sign but i refused. why be different?
I didnt get along well with the deaf kids. I was a sensitive child. oh well
I started mainstreaming at 8 and loved it. later graduated in my home school district and didnt want to go to a 'deaf oriented' college
got my first CI at 18, learned to love it quickly. became bilateral at 22.
my first bf was deaf. met him at 19 our views didn't match much 2 yrs later. I always felt better dating hearing men.
I didn't feel very comfortable at deaf clubs.
i learned SEE since the age of 4 due to the school. learned ASL at 20/21
i hung out at asl events but hung out with ASL students because they are more fun.
So what do you hope to find here?

And why bring up a nine year old dead thread for your first post?

It means a lot of different things...
  • You're deaf, not Deaf (notice the big 'D'?). In other words, you don't exactly fit in the profile for Deaf Pride or Deaf Culture.
  • You're hard of hearing.
  • You hang out with too many hearing people.
  • You don't sign ASL fluently.
  • Etc...

BINGO!!!!

This is exactly what "Not d/Deaf enough" mean.

VamPyrox came up with the better explanation of someone who does not understand what "Not d/Deaf enough" is. :cool2:

Back