Not Deaf enough??

DHB,

That sounds very discriminated against those who aren't deaf enough, It's like telling a black person, that he cannot be a President of a 1/3 black & 1/2 white school. We don't live in the old time age anymore DHB!, This is the year of 2006 where things changes now, more hearing people are accepting deafies and even most schools are providing sign language courses for free to teach hearies. What's the problem? I'm just so tired of seeing some deafies living in the past, where they were being treat like a nothing, forget the past, live in the present and it's future. Deafies should know a lot better not to be so discriminated against others because they don't like to be discriminated either by hearies. Nobody likes to be treated less favorably than others. Look what you guys are doing to us, we are deaf just like you, there's no differences, who cares who shares the same values, history, language, etc. it's not important or even requirement. Why it is always about "me, me , me". Those students are there for one reason only is getting a education and learn, and be more accepting who's around them even who's going to be the future President of Gallaudet.

Your reason relating for it's President of Gallaudet is full of crap, because Gallaudet University college itself accepts deaf, hard of hearing, and even cochlear implant enrollment. That college itself is a barrier-free communication environment, not mute communication environment with ASL only.

:gpost: Good posting!

This is from somebody from the other side of the tracks (who could never be mistaken as being deaf enough!!!!!)

Actually, Fernandes is "deaf enough" as are practically all of us here so are anyone of us here the right person or good enough to lead Gallaudet to the next level? Most say Fernandes isn't the right one. It's a long convoluted, and a many-faceted nut to crack.

I have been told that I'm not supportive of deaf people - which in other words, I am not deaf enough.

Let's count the ways, shall we?

1) I was born to hearing parents - it doesn't matter that I was born deaf.

2) I grew up in a hearing family - another strike against me.

3) I went to an oral school for the deaf - horrors!

4) I lipread, therefore, I have another black mark against me.

5) I did not learn sign language until I was 28. Oh, the shame!

6) I do not work with deaf people. OMG...

7) I am the only deaf person working with hearing people. Tsk..tsk.

8) I only see deaf people when I socialize. ("I never felt connected to the deaf community...")

9) I only use PSE. I guess ASLTA will have to go to war against me, huh?

10) I only use sign language when I'm around deaf, otherwise, I'm still a pure oralist. (Hey, time to mark DD as a ant-social personality)

11) Only my 1st cousin (who was born deaf, but does the same things as I do above) and I sign in my family. No one else does.

12) We just ain't deaf enough to satisfy everyone. Who in the heck cares?

I guess it's time to mark me as a heretic, ban me from the Deaf community, throw me out of AllDeaf, and rip up my membership card as a deaf person.

The main thing - and I've always believed this - is that if you are HEARING IMPAIRED, then you are DEAF. It doesn't matter if you are an oralist, wears a BTE or a CI, speaks or doesn't speak, wave your hands around, thump your foot on the floor for attention...what I believe is that...if you are Deaf, then you are DEAF, period.

There is no such thing, and there shouldn't be in the first place, as not being deaf enough!!!

We should embrace our diversity as a deaf community as we embrace our identites - and I say, if you think I AIN'T DEAF ENOUGH, you can stick it up your precious little a**h***.

:bowdown: Well said. I'd rather find the common ground that we have than divide us. Ditto for Cheri.

I do have sympathy for the various problems that Gallaudet has gone through given the communication issues and the problems with audisim. Heck most of us have had to deal with these issues from time to time even if we did not grow up ASL deaf.

I know that the issues at Gally is complicated and it's been difficult sorting out stuff.

Last edited:
Wow. The term, "not deaf enough" seems shady to me. It ironically categorizes. I don't know about anyone else, but I do not want to be categorized and put in a box when it comes to my hearing impairment. I'm also confused on what that phrase means, but it makes me cringe. Any thoughts on this?

The concept of saying someone is not deaf enough is idiotic. A deaf person is not considered deaf enough because they arent exactly like you? Thats stupid. Not deaf enough is alot like someone being "not black enough" in the black community.
On the opposite side of the coin, is there too deaf? If not, why? It would only balance the issue.
Who decides who is deaf enough anyway? Is there a grand poo-bah of the deaf? Or is it a mass vote? If soemone accuses you of being not def enough, and someone else agrees, does that automatically label you as not deaf enough? Sounds like a witch hunt to me.
Is the level of deafness worn like a badge of honor? If so, is it then an insult to accuse someone of being not deaf enough?
I think its kind of ironic. ALot of deaf people accuse hearing people of discriminating against the deaf, but the deaf discriminate amongst them selves more than the hearing do. What the hell kind of loigic is that?

"Not Deaf Enough" make no sense to me... :cool:

I born to hearing parents.

I have 4 hearing siblings.

My former teachers are hearing and can sign.

I accept hearing world because my both sons are hearing.

I work with hearing co-worker together at work place.

I involved with hearing world every day...

I'm deaf and accept hearing world and also accept hearing people who like to join deaf world...

Oh Well :cool:

MeMad said:
Yes your fault why wait until 28 to learn ASL? You blame your parents for not know ASL. U turn 18..why not learn ASL when become legal of age?

Excuse me... wake up and smell the stinky brown stuff emanating from your ass...it was NOT shel90 that said this:

DreamDeaf said:
5) I did not learn sign language until I was 28. Oh, the shame!

That was me.

And I did not learn sign language until I was 28, because I was not around deaf people more often until then. I was around hearing people most of the time. I have no regrets learning sign language at a late age - and besides, MeMad, I think you're just an internet troll, yourself. Either that, or you've just never learned how to read threads correctly.

Maybe it's time you went to a mainstreamed school, so you can learn how to read proper English?

Ta~ta!~

It not her fault that she learned ASL at age 20s...

Her parents didn't let her learn ASL and didn't let her go to Deaf School...

So why punish her?

Roxy, if you didn't want a debate, then what did you want?

I think Roxy just wanted an answer to her question and she didn't intend to start a debate. It's certainly been an interesting debate and one worth airing out.

Correct me if I'm wrong Roxy.

The concept of saying someone is not deaf enough is idiotic. A deaf person is not considered deaf enough because they arent exactly like you? Thats stupid. Not deaf enough is alot like someone being "not black enough" in the black community.
On the opposite side of the coin, is there too deaf? If not, why? It would only balance the issue.
Who decides who is deaf enough anyway? Is there a grand poo-bah of the deaf? Or is it a mass vote? If soemone accuses you of being not def enough, and someone else agrees, does that automatically label you as not deaf enough? Sounds like a witch hunt to me.
Is the level of deafness worn like a badge of honor? If so, is it then an insult to accuse someone of being not deaf enough?
I think its kind of ironic. ALot of deaf people accuse hearing people of discriminating against the deaf, but the deaf discriminate amongst them selves more than the hearing do. What the hell kind of loigic is that?

Understanding is all in how you define the word Deaf. Notice the capital "D"? It refers to a cultural group, not to degree of hearing loss. If you're focused on degree of loss, then there is no surprise that you don't get it. See it from a cultural perspective and it does begin to make sense. I'm not saying that it is right, just that I understand how such ideas develop.

I understand that. Going back to our previous conversation about discrimination with the deaf here. Why is it ok for a deaf person to discriminate or be discriminated against another deaf person based solely on how well or poorly they hear? That is what does not make any sense.
Comparing that again to the racial thing. That makes about as much sense as certain groups within the black community looking down on someone based only on the darkness or lightness of their skin. There are actually black people that think if you have a light ("high yellow") pigment, you are not truely black. But if you are very dark ("burple")then you are a "real" black person.

Everyone, please do not get all crazy because I used the terms high yellow and burple. These are actual terms used by black people describing other black peoples skin color. They are not meant in a derogatorey manner. They are simply used to illistrate a point.

I understand that. Going back to our previous conversation about discrimination with the deaf here. Why is it ok for a deaf person to discriminate or be discriminated against another deaf person based solely on how well or poorly they hear? That is what does not make any sense.

I concur. I never understood that myself and I have been "marked" before for not being deaf enough by other deaf. At the time, I had no idea why they did that and it did not go down well with me. Fortunately, it isn't such an issue nowadays except I guess amongst the diehards.

Or as I refer to them as militants. I have other terms fo them, but I think it would only start a fight.

No I didn't intend to start a debate.. I just wanted to know what not deaf enough means. And Lilly's dad... glad u agree with me with my signature.. thanks

Notice the bolded text in my post? I agree that it is not right, but I do understand where feelings like that come from. Deaf people weren't the first group, and won't be the last, to have to deal with this issue.

I find it amusing about being not deaf enough.

However, I recently learned from a source online (think it was from a reporter) that Jane (JKF) was the very first person saying the word, "not deaf enough". True?!

But I will find that souce link to provide but have to wait on a while to let the thunderstorm squall passing on my area any time very soon - hope no black out lol.

Comparing that again to the racial thing. That makes about as much sense as certain groups within the black community looking down on someone based only on the darkness or lightness of their skin. There are actually black people that think if you have a light ("high yellow") pigment, you are not truely black. But if you are very dark ("burple")then you are a "real" black person.

Wow. You are SO on the money, my friend. It's kinda scary that you are so accurate with this statement... you're a white person (i presume) but your knowledge on the subject is impressive. It shows that you take an interest in others, regardless of race.

Everyone, please do not get all crazy because I used the terms high yellow and burple. These are actual terms used by black people describing other black peoples skin color. They are not meant in a derogatorey manner. They are simply used to illistrate a point.

You are absolutely right my friend, and no one should take offense to the above statement. I'm black and I know the truth behind "colorism" in the black community. Kudos to you for your candor.:ty:

Back