Not Deaf enough??

Roxygirl777

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what exactly not Deaf enough means? I read it in a newspaper several months ago and I'm not sure what it means exactly. I'm hard of hearing but I learned how to sign since I was 2 years old and I can talk really well. Does not being Deaf enough have to do with how a deaf person talk or when they learn to sign or how they were raise to view the Deaf world?

I have no idea what do they mean. "not being deaf enough", maybe hard of hearing person don't know deaf signs enough? Not know deaf's world. Or you can find the internet "not deaf enough" maybe they show you some links.

Some people use as a way to deny ADA rights--like HOH not deaf enough to need an interpreter, or deaf that has good speech skills doesn't need interpreter. Its stupid. ADA says no such thing as not deaf enough.

It depends on what the article in the newspaper is talking about? From a medical perspective, it could mean that the person doesnt qualifiy for SSDI, VR, hearing aides or whatever. From a cultural model, it could mean that the person didnt grow up with knowledge of deaf culture and ASL. Correct me if I am wrong....::ty:

it could mean that the person didnt grow up with knowledge of deaf culture and ASL. Correct me if I am wrong....::ty:

And they can get penalized for that? Sounds kinda unfair. Kids can't help the way they were brought up.

And they can get penalized for that? Sounds kinda unfair. Kids can't help the way they were brought up.

I agree with u on that one! Unfortunately, I have been approached by people who believe in that..

Like I said before, it depends on what the topic of the newspaper article was about.

I think what this thread might have started out of is the original poster seeing an article on the Gallaudet protests, in which many media outlets are STILL reporting the protests are over Jane Fernandes not being Deaf enough. What they mean by this is that she not culturally deaf enough since she was raised oral and did not learn ASL until 23. However, this has been denied by the protestors. Deaf with a capital D refers to someone involved in Deaf Culture, therefore saying someone isn't Deaf enough, means they're not involved in Deaf Culture as much as they're expected to be. It's a stupid theory.

Not deaf enough is another word of the meaning of those who does not even share the same values, history, beliefs, language, and behavior as people that were raise deaf that has deaf parents, went to school for the deaf, strongly ASL, is very involvement with the Deaf Culture, it's history.

It's like this, if you were raise mainstream, oral, learned sign language during your late adulthood years, speak with your voice, know SEE language instead of ASL as your primary sign language, then you are not deaf enough, that's how those deaf images sees you as.

They are those types that pass judgmental on others. We are all deaf no matter what our experience was when we were growing up. We are all equal in my eyes.

Interesting... I saw that article in the newspaper about the whole Gallaudet president thing before the protest I believe.... The statement about her not being deaf enough caught my attention. It made me think about myself and where do I stand in the community I guess...

A few days ago I was at work and one of the lady I work with is also deaf. She was talking about the whole Gallaudet thing and the president went to a oral school like ME.. she emphize the ME part and then said that I am innocent compare to the president.... That also made me think how the deaf around here percieves me. I'm not clueless how the deaf see me.. I did go to a deaf school for a few years so I know how they see me.

I think what this thread might have started out of is the original poster seeing an article on the Gallaudet protests, in which many media outlets are STILL reporting the protests are over Jane Fernandes not being Deaf enough. What they mean by this is that she not culturally deaf enough since she was raised oral and did not learn ASL until 23. However, this has been denied by the protestors. Deaf with a capital D refers to someone involved in Deaf Culture, therefore saying someone isn't Deaf enough, means they're not involved in Deaf Culture as much as they're expected to be. It's a stupid theory.

You are so right on that one!!! Very stupid theory. I grew up oral but I still struggle with communication barriers just as much as any other deaf person does no matter how good my speech and lipreading skills. In that case, there is no such thing as not being deaf enough...people have, and still do, said I act like a hearing person despite being severely profoundly deaf and fluent in ASL. I do not understand that at all...If I behaved like a hearing person, I would not be using ASL as my primary source of communication, I would be using a cell phone instead of a pager, would have regular alarms instead of strobe lights, and most of all I wouldnt need to look at the speaker's face all the time. :deaf:

Not Deaf Enough

is....

a person who can't talk, a mute, and can't hear anything, totally deaf, and
only know asl.... and born deaf.... and go to Deaf Institute. Gotta be 100% deaf.

That is all...

Oh never mind.... :giggle:

Last edited:
You are so right on that one!!! Very stupid theory. I grew up oral but I still struggle with communication barriers just as much as any other deaf person does no matter how good my speech and lipreading skills. In that case, there is no such thing as not being deaf enough...people have, and still do, said I act like a hearing person despite being severely profoundly deaf and fluent in ASL. I do not understand that at all...If I behaved like a hearing person, I would not be using ASL as my primary source of communication, I would be using a cell phone instead of a pager, would have regular alarms instead of strobe lights, and most of all I wouldnt need to look at the speaker's face all the time. :deaf:

Very good point there. :D

If i were hearing, I wouldn't use the relay and I wouldn't loathe the automated answering system so much. :P Automated answering system + relay = frustration

Not Deaf Enough

is....

only know asl.... and born deaf.... and go to Deaf Institute. Gotta be 100% deaf.

That is all...

Ignore this one. She got it backwards on purpose. The other posters got it right.

I understand what Gally student's perspective. Remember, once a president was chosen to represent a organization. This person should be able to represent what the organization really is all about. The problem here what I have seen is very high expectation from hearing world on Deaf people. The concern of these Gally student is that this person chosen for the president of Gallaudet... can mislead hearing world into thinking that ALL deafies CAN speak and talk normally like just hearing people. That is grave mistake to give hearies that kind of perspective.

The goal of Deaf student at Gally is to get 100% Deaf, even though not talk well CAN run any organization. That is something I personally would like hearing people see that Deaf do not have to be perfect with speech to accomplish the leadership.

Stupid theory? I don't think so!

Peace!

There is more to than that! It is all about culture.

Not Deaf Enough

is....

That is all...

It's a phrase that's often misinterpreted by many people. It has different meanings depending on the group and the individual. Some people say that I'm not deaf enough because I'm hard of hearing and hear better than most of them. :dunno:

It's a phrase that's often misinterpreted by many people. It has different meanings depending on the group and the individual. Some people say that I'm not deaf enough because I'm hard of hearing and hear better than most of them. :dunno:

Same me too...

That is why when I was at CSUN, I tried not to use Interpreter
in classes because of shortage of interpreters...

I would rather have notetakers, depend on how good they are writing notes.

Back