Not Deaf enough??

yeah personally i can speak just fine with thick irish accent sometime i hate em but eh anyway the point is being deaf is being disabled there s no such a thing as not deaf enough its like telling an blind person that he or she is not blind enough or telling an paralyzed man that he s not paralyzed enough whoever think there are certian people who are not deaf enough well i say screw them

yeah personally i can speak just fine with thick irish accent sometime i hate em but eh anyway the point is being deaf is being disabled there s no such a thing as not deaf enough its like telling an blind person that he or she is not blind enough or telling an paralyzed man that he s not paralyzed enough whoever think there are certian people who are not deaf enough well i say screw them

It's not comparable to blindness or paralysis because of the culture that is the driving force behind the label of Deaf. As Cheri stated, "Not Deaf Enough" just means that, regardless of your upbringing, you haven't adopted the cultural values and norms of the Deaf community.

I understand what Gally student's perspective. Remember, once a president was chosen to represent a organization. This person should be able to represent what the organization really is all about. The problem here what I have seen is very high expectation from hearing world on Deaf people. The concern of these Gally student is that this person chosen for the president of Gallaudet... can mislead hearing world into thinking that ALL deafies CAN speak and talk normally like just hearing people. That is grave mistake to give hearies that kind of perspective.

The goal of Deaf student at Gally is to get 100% Deaf, even though not talk well CAN run any organization. That is something I personally would like hearing people see that Deaf do not have to be perfect with speech to accomplish the leadership.

Stupid theory? I don't think so!
Peace!

Why worry about what hearing people think of deaf people? Hearing people who believe that deaf people who cant talk well are incapable of not running an university are the uneducated hearing people anyway.

We need a 100% deafie to replace Jane as president. Who would that be? Any recommendations? We need to PROVE to the world that 100% deaf people CAN do ANYTHING.

As for myself..I talk like a hearing person even though I struggle to understand hearing people without ASL...I do not qualify to run for Gallaudet president cuz I would give the wrong impression to the world. :tears:

DHB,

That sounds very discriminated against those who aren't deaf enough, It's like telling a black person, that he cannot be a President of a 1/3 black & 1/2 white school. We don't live in the old time age anymore DHB!, This is the year of 2006 where things changes now, more hearing people are accepting deafies and even most schools are providing sign language courses for free to teach hearies. What's the problem? I'm just so tired of seeing some deafies living in the past, where they were being treat like a nothing, forget the past, live in the present and it's future. Deafies should know a lot better not to be so discriminated against others because they don't like to be discriminated either by hearies. Nobody likes to be treated less favorably than others. Look what you guys are doing to us, we are deaf just like you, there's no differences, who cares who shares the same values, history, language, etc. it's not important or even requirement. Why it is always about "me, me , me". Those students are there for one reason only is getting a education and learn, and be more accepting who's around them even who's going to be the future President of Gallaudet.

Your reason relating for it's President of Gallaudet is full of crap, because Gallaudet University college itself accepts deaf, hard of hearing, and even cochlear implant enrollment. That college itself is a barrier-free communication environment, not mute communication environment with ASL only.

DHB,

That sounds very discriminated against those who aren't deaf enough, It's like telling a black person, that he cannot be a President of a 1/3 black & 1/2 white school. We don't live in the old time age anymore DHB!, This is the year of 2006 where things changes now, more hearing people are accepting deafies and even most schools are providing sign language courses for free to teach hearies. What's the problem? I'm just so tired of seeing some deafies living in the past, where they were being treat like a nothing, forget the past, live in the present and it's future. Deafies should know a lot better not to be so discriminated against others because they don't like to be discriminated either by hearies. Nobody likes to be treated less favorably than others. Look what you guys are doing to us, we are deaf just like you, there's no differences, who cares who shares the same values, history, language, etc.

Your reason relating for it's President of Gallaudet is full of crap, because Gallaudet University college itself accepts deaf, hard of hearing, and even cochlear implant enrollment. That college itself is a barrier-free communication environment, not mute communication environment with ASL only.

:gpost: AMEN, well said there Cheri!!!! :ty:

DHB,

That sounds very discriminated against those who aren't deaf enough, It's like telling a black person, that he cannot be a President of a 1/3 black & 1/2 white school. We don't live in the old time age anymore DHB!, This is the year of 2006 where things changes now, more hearing people are accepting deafies and even most schools are providing sign language courses for free to teach hearies. What's the problem? I'm just so tired of seeing some deafies living in the past, where they were being treat like a nothing, forget the past, live in the present and it's future. Deafies should know a lot better not to be so discriminated against others because they don't like to be discriminated either by hearies. Nobody likes to be treated less favorably than others. Look what you guys are doing to us, we are deaf just like you, there's no differences, who cares who shares the same values, history, language, etc. it's not important or even requirement. Why it is always about "me, me , me". Those students are there for one reason only is getting a education and learn, and be more accepting who's around them even who's going to be the future President of Gallaudet.

I have to :bowdown: to you Cheri for that :gpost:

I have been told that I'm not supportive of deaf people - which in other words, I am not deaf enough.

Let's count the ways, shall we?

1) I was born to hearing parents - it doesn't matter that I was born deaf.

2) I grew up in a hearing family - another strike against me.

3) I went to an oral school for the deaf - horrors!

4) I lipread, therefore, I have another black mark against me.

5) I did not learn sign language until I was 28. Oh, the shame!

6) I do not work with deaf people. OMG...

7) I am the only deaf person working with hearing people. Tsk..tsk.

8) I only see deaf people when I socialize. ("I never felt connected to the deaf community...")

9) I only use PSE. I guess ASLTA will have to go to war against me, huh?

10) I only use sign language when I'm around deaf, otherwise, I'm still a pure oralist. (Hey, time to mark DD as a ant-social personality)

11) Only my 1st cousin (who was born deaf, but does the same things as I do above) and I sign in my family. No one else does.

12) We just ain't deaf enough to satisfy everyone. Who in the heck cares?

I guess it's time to mark me as a heretic, ban me from the Deaf community, throw me out of AllDeaf, and rip up my membership card as a deaf person.

The main thing - and I've always believed this - is that if you are HEARING IMPAIRED, then you are DEAF. It doesn't matter if you are an oralist, wears a BTE or a CI, speaks or doesn't speak, wave your hands around, thump your foot on the floor for attention...what I believe is that...if you are Deaf, then you are DEAF, period.

There is no such thing, and there shouldn't be in the first place, as not being deaf enough!!!

We should embrace our diversity as a deaf community as we embrace our identites - and I say, if you think I AIN'T DEAF ENOUGH, you can stick it up your precious little a**h***.

We need a 100% deafie to replace Jane as president. Who would that be? Any recommendations? We need to PROVE to the world that 100% deaf people CAN do ANYTHING.

Excuse me but what is exactly a 100 percent deafie? ::perplexed::

Excuse me but what is exactly a 100 percent deafie? ::perplexed::

I dont know...but it sounds like some people want a 100% deafie to run for president at Gally according to some postings. I want to know how they define a 100% deafie cuz apparently, like Jane, I am not 100% deafie. :Ohno:

I guess it's time to mark me as a heretic, ban me from the Deaf community, throw me out of AllDeaf, and rip up my membership card as a deaf person.

Nice speech, but nobody is trying to ban anybody. Your rant doesn't make any sense in regards to the situation at Gallaudet.

I dont know...but it sounds like some people want a 100% deafie to run for president at Gally according to some postings. I want to know how they define a 100% deafie cuz apparently, like Jane, I am not 100% deafie. :Ohno:

Well there is NO such thing as 100 percent Deafie. It is all relative from everyone's perspective. That is where the problem begins.

Ive been told I am not Deaf enough over and over but I dont give shit what they think of me. Deaf community consists of many and many different subgroups so who has the authority to decide whether that person is 100 percent deafie or not? Only the elite? But the elite only counts for less than 10 percent of the entire Deaf Community.

Labels are created by insecure individuals who want to put people neatly into tiny little boxes.

Well there is NO such thing as 100 percent Deafie. It is all relative from everyone's perspective. That is where the problem begins.

Ive been told I am not Deaf enough over and over but I dont give shit what they think of me. Labels are created by insecure individuals who want to put people neatly into tiny little boxes.[/QUOTE

Yea....

I went thru the same thing as being labeled as not being deaf enough as if it was my fault.

Ive been told I am not Deaf enough over and over but I dont give shit what they think of me. Labels are created by insecure individuals who want to put people neatly into tiny little boxes.[/QUOTE

Yea....

I went thru the same thing as being labeled as not being deaf enough as if it was my fault.

Yes your fault why wait until 28 to learn ASL? You blame your parents for not know ASL. U turn 18..why not learn ASL when become legal of age?

MeMad,

Didnt understand your above posting.

You talking to me? I think you got me confused with DreamDeaf

Yea....

sorry Getnum

I mean to Shel90...that person fault for not learn ASL until 28. If want to be deaf enough learn ASL at 18

parents control us until turn 18

shel90 wait unti 28

shel90 upset that she not deaf enough

who do blame?

herself for wait until 28 to learn

sorry Getnum

I mean to Shel90...that person fault for not learn ASL until 28. If want to be deaf enough learn ASL at 18

parents control us until turn 18

shel90 wait unti 28

shel90 upset that she not deaf enough

who do blame?

herself for wait until 28 to learn

HUH??

Nobody knows the reasons for why I didnt learn ASL until at the age of 28 and you are wrong to judge me like that in public.

I see other postings of you telling other people they are not nice to insult you. Well..better practice what you preach.

MeMad,
I don't think she is to be blamed, does it matter what her communication level is and what age she learned another communication level? It's so funny that deafies don't like to be rejected from the hearing world, but they're doing the same thing to us deafies, who didn't learn ASL as a first language.

If you were a candidate at an oral school and was told that you're not oralist enough to become a President of that school, because you learned ASL as your first language instead of lip read and speak and picked up lip read and speak later in life, would you feel insulted and discriminated? I bet you would, because I know I would too. ;)

It's like finding their flaws, and insulted them that they're not deaf enough, they're not oralist enough, I could go on and on, but you get my point. It's like being rejected, if you aren't good enough, you're not a part of a group. When would this ever stop? When someone finally stand up and sings the blues?.. Come on, let's be real here. :(

I have been told that I'm not supportive of deaf people - which in other words, I am not deaf enough.

Let's count the ways, shall we?

1) I was born to hearing parents - it doesn't matter that I was born deaf.

2) I grew up in a hearing family - another strike against me.

3) I went to an oral school for the deaf - horrors!

4) I lipread, therefore, I have another black mark against me.

5) I did not learn sign language until I was 28. Oh, the shame!

6) I do not work with deaf people. OMG...

7) I am the only deaf person working with hearing people. Tsk..tsk.

8) I only see deaf people when I socialize. ("I never felt connected to the deaf community...")

9) I only use PSE. I guess ASLTA will have to go to war against me, huh?

10) I only use sign language when I'm around deaf, otherwise, I'm still a pure oralist. (Hey, time to mark DD as a ant-social personality)

11) Only my 1st cousin (who was born deaf, but does the same things as I do above) and I sign in my family. No one else does.

12) We just ain't deaf enough to satisfy everyone. Who in the heck cares?

The main thing - and I've always believed this - is that if you are HEARING IMPAIRED, then you are DEAF. It doesn't matter if you are an oralist, wears a BTE or a CI, speaks or doesn't speak, wave your hands around, thump your foot on the floor for attention...what I believe is that...if you are Deaf, then you are DEAF, period.

There is no such thing, and there shouldn't be in the first place, as not being deaf enough!!!

We should embrace our diversity as a deaf community as we embrace our identites - and I say, if you think I AIN'T DEAF ENOUGH, you can stick it up your precious little a**h***.

:gpost:

Back