Not completely deaf

tlcatwoman01

Reaction score
Although I sometimes wish I was. I live in a hearing world, but can't hear as they can, and tend to be misunderstood, thought of as rude, etc. I'm Teri, hard of hearing, lost one of my beautiful pink hearing aids, so wear neither again. I'm taking ASL FINALLY! I'm so happy about that. I really wish I could afford to get a new set of aids, or at least replace the lost one. I can never hear 100% even with. Hoping to find some new friends, and patience from you, as I strive to become fluent in ASL.

Do you work? Yes? don't you know vocational rehabilitation can providing you free Hearing aids?

Although I sometimes wish I was. I live in a hearing world, but can't hear as they can, and tend to be misunderstood, thought of as rude, etc. I'm Teri, hard of hearing, lost one of my beautiful pink hearing aids, so wear neither again. I'm taking ASL FINALLY! I'm so happy about that. I really wish I could afford to get a new set of aids, or at least replace the lost one. I can never hear 100% even with. Hoping to find some new friends, and patience from you, as I strive to become fluent in ASL.
Do you ever feel stuck in the middle? I'm losing my hearing, I'm verbal since i was born hearing, but now it's getting worse and worse. I feel like i don't belong anywhere, not in the hearing world but not in the Deaf community either. Sucks.

No, how do I do this?
Google your state + Vocational Rehabilitation and see if there is an office near you. You can also look it up under your state's government website (or in phonebook). Give them a call and ask about scheduling a meeting with a counselor and see if they can help you with work related issues (including getting hearing aids) etc.

Do you ever feel stuck in the middle? I'm losing my hearing, I'm verbal since i was born hearing, but now it's getting worse and worse. I feel like i don't belong anywhere, not in the hearing world but not in the Deaf community either. Sucks.
I'm losing hearing in my left ear, and I feel the same. I feel like I'm half hearing or half hard of hearing...I don't know what to call myself...

I was raised hearing, but was born HoH with apd. I know that feeling. At first I attended speech therapy and went to public school. I got my first pair of ha at 18 years old. They helped a lot in the hearing world. But people thought I was rude when I couldn't hear. I had a hard time getting a job. I sign around my husband and kids but my parents and sister didn't learn any signs. I feel like I have to pretend to be hearing at work and with my parents, but get to be me with my husband and kids. I never felt invited into the hearing world because they are rude to HoH people. The deaf world welcomed me with open arms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I'm losing hearing in my left ear, and I feel the same. I feel like I'm half hearing or half hard of hearing...I don't know what to call myself...
I don't either. I don't want to act like i have it so badly, but when i can't have a regular conversation people start to notice. If i tell them about my hearing they act like it's this big thing then i have to explain and they look me like why did i even bring it up. I feel like I should just learn to sign and be done with the hearing world, there's so much judgment. Its stupid...sorry to vent haha.

I was raised hearing, but was born HoH with apd. I know that feeling. At first I attended speech therapy and went to public school. I got my first pair of ha at 18 years old. They helped a lot in the hearing world. But people thought I was rude when I couldn't hear. I had a hard time getting a job. I sign around my husband and kids but my parents and sister didn't learn any signs. I feel like I have to pretend to be hearing at work and with my parents, but get to be me with my husband and kids. I never felt invited into the hearing world because they are rude to HoH people. The deaf world welcomed me with open arms.

EXACTLY! I'm not being rude i just didn't hear you. I think it is time for me to get a ha but there are so many other priorities it's hard to say "im going to do something for me now" ya know? I'm glad your immediate family has learned to sign sounds like good people. Hopefully your mom and sister will come around.

I don't think they will but I am fine with that. You should get your self a ha but don't be ashamed when people find you rude. Just proudly tell them you are HoH and there is nothing wrong with it

This is an interesting thread because I can relate to a lot of the experiences being stated here.

I am often thought of as being rude by people that do not know me because I do not respond back to people talking to me. Whenever that happens, it is because I did not hear them speaking to me. It is not in my nature to purposely ignore people unless I truly do not like them.

It is not easy working with "hearing" people because many times you will get left out or passed over simply because they do not want the hassle. I have worked really hard to graduate from a University and get a job but no matter what you do, you will always come across people that simply do not want to deal with deaf or hoh people. That is just how it is and the sooner you learn to not let it bother you, the better off you will be.

No, how do I do this?

Google 'vocational rehabilitation office' for your city or state and something should pop up. You can put your hearing aids on your home insurance policy but you'll need to see what kind of coverage is has. I knew a women who's dog chewed up one of her HA and her insurance wouldn't cover it. I just Google 'vocational rehabilitation ' and came up with a lot places for my state.

I was born with my hearing loss and currently feel that I am losing mine, slowly but surely. I to feel this way, stuck between worlds and has been this way for all my life. For me, I am scared to lose anymore and worry about my future. You may find that Vocational Rehabilitation can help you. I also do not know much ASL and when I am with a very small group of friends who do sign.. I sign exact English. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the concept and yet very thankful for the friends I do have that are understanding.
I hope you do find some peace in this and know that you are not alone in your feelings.

I was born with my hearing loss and currently feel that I am losing mine, slowly but surely. I to feel this way, stuck between worlds and has been this way for all my life. For me, I am scared to lose anymore and worry about my future. You may find that Vocational Rehabilitation can help you. I also do not know much ASL and when I am with a very small group of friends who do sign.. I sign exact English. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the concept and yet very thankful for the friends I do have that are understanding.
I hope you do find some peace in this and know that you are not alone in your feelings.
Thank you so much. The last years have been solely devoted to my kids which is why I haven't made it a priority to start tackling the hearing issues. Soon . I will look into vocational rehab, i didn't know about it. What is causing your hearing troubles?

Yes, it's hard, being hard of hearing. My hearing loss is significant, but hearing people don't realize just how little I can hear, because I'm not deaf. It's a blessing that I'm learning ASL, and I will continue to learn and hopefully become part of the Deaf community. I'm still hoping to find some friends to sign ASL with!

Can you sign? I'm 1st year ASL. I'm needing to practice!

Your story sounds familiar. Would you like to sign with me? I need to practice, and am first year student in ASL.

Back