North Korea readying rockets to aim at U.S. targets, state media says

one more thing - what's the point of those survival kits if you're in a radioactive zone? even with iodine tablets. are you going to stop and cook these freeze-dried food while situation is fubar? you should be more concerned with having a bug-out backpack that would aid you in getting as far away and as quickly as you can from radioactive zone. you can easily handle 2-3 days without food in case of extreme crisis. it is very likely that you will be awake for 2-3 days too.

driving is not an option. you will have to deal with millions of panicked people and blocked roads for hundreds of miles. the entire infrastructure will cease to function in just few hours or a day - water, electricity, etc.

do you and your family/loved one/etc. have a safe location and a preplanned escape route from home & work? have you practiced it at least once? do you have outdoorsman experience and skill? are you in good physical condition for long-distance several-days travel on road/mountain? is your survival kit already packed up and ready to go at moment's notice? do you have a basic first aids training?

if your answers have 2 "no's" or more... then you're basically screwed :)

pretty much, and i have 4 no's...um bugger it

If done right, a nuke bomb going off at 20,000 feet above ground can do alot of damage. It can still knock down buildings and set things on fire. But the trick is to do this right, you want the bomb to go off above ground so that when the flames goes, it'll burn off most of the radiation and whatever is left over that trickles down the ground, it won't stick for very long.

Soon after it wears off, the land will be suitable for takeover and build on it.

That's exactly what we did with Japan....twice.....

But if done wrong and the bomb hits ground zero, it will contaminate the ground with radiation for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Just ask Chernobyl what happened. It speaks volumes. The land will be unsuitable for farming, much less pump oil of it if any, who wants to drive around irradiated gas?? Even livestock will be effected.

Also, keep in mind radiation contains EMPs, a burst of it will fry all things electronics, unless you have a radio that is separated from it's batteries and well wrapped in some anti-static material, it could survive the EMP bursts. So I suggest doing that now and have it ready.

You'll need weapons obviously, but with all these anti-gun legislations, it's gonna be difficult to defend one self from crime when everything loses power. There's gonna be riots, looting, shootings, murder, robberies, rape and the list goes on......

So you may wanna look into gun friendly states and hook up with gun friends, we're all gonna need all the support we can get.

By the way, the U.N. just passed a gun legislation treaty with U.S. and it's expected to be backed by Congress and Obama is gonna sign it. This is gonna cause an outbreak of civil war. Be prepared.....

The world is getting bad. WWIII is bound to happen.

Russia and China already have backed N.K. and both sides is telling the U.S. to back off or there will be serious consequences.

It's bound to happen sooner or later, it's a vicious cycle, world wars every 60-100 years. It never fails.

one more thing - what's the point of those survival kits if you're in a radioactive zone? even with iodine tablets. are you going to stop and cook these freeze-dried food while situation is fubar? you should be more concerned with having a bug-out backpack that would aid you in getting as far away and as quickly as you can from radioactive zone. you can easily handle 2-3 days without food in case of extreme crisis. it is very likely that you will be awake for 2-3 days too.

driving is not an option. you will have to deal with millions of panicked people and blocked roads for hundreds of miles. the entire infrastructure will cease to function in just few hours or a day - water, electricity, etc.

do you and your family/loved one/etc. have a safe location and a preplanned escape route from home & work? have you practiced it at least once? do you have outdoorsman experience and skill? are you in good physical condition for long-distance several-days travel on road/mountain? is your survival kit already packed up and ready to go at moment's notice? do you have a basic first aids training?

Zombies applauses you for no need survival kits to people. They want your brain tastes like Teriyaki beef. pssh

You really really have to go under the bunker or your gonna be dead.... SLOWLY! Thats worst thing to human. No matter how prepared you are if your not under the bunker... It is radiation poison all over the air and it will hit you. Bunker is a underground shelter where radiant can't reach in. But problem is if your coming out, everything probably gone and you need help, your may be pretty much in middle of desert. Scary? I know... what can I do?

What If NK nuke california or miss target my home.. If No Power, No Water, No Gas.. and No Internet (i miss ADers).. What do i do? all grocery store closed due to nuclear disaster....

My survival kits list:

Jetboil flash (camping stove for boil water)
8244969422_555cb69a1c_z.jpg

Freeze Dry Food package. Shelf Life: up to 25 years
fd0202-deluxe-1-month-supply-of-freeze-dried-food-pouches-base_3.jpg

Goal Zero Solar Power device for recharging my iPhone 5, tablet, digtal camera..
Goal Zero Escape 150 Solar Generator Commercial - YouTube
watch

not gonna help if you're stuck in radioactive zone for days or even a week and unable to get away from it.
No. The idea is that the tablets buy you enough time to escape from the danger zone. They're certainly not for long-term use.

I'm basically screwed.

My old lady knees and hip joints have slowed me down, although at least the area we live in is very flat.

Been there, done that with the mass evacuation. Unless you have at least three days notice, you will not get out of a danger zone in time. Charleston isn't even a large urban area, and people could not escape in time.

Another problem is, one must have an escape plan and bug out bag with them at all times. Suppose the balloon goes up while you are:

1. at home
2. at school
3. commuting on public transportation
4. in the hospital after major surgery
5. at the mall
6. downtown
7. at the beach
8. out of town at a convention
9. on a plane
10. at work
11. at church
12. at Disney World
13. touring Mammoth Caves

Suppose you and your family members are scattered in different parts of town. Your little kids are at school or day care in the suburbs, mom is working at the downtown hospital, dad is 1,000 miles away at a conference, and grandma is in a nursing home.

Realistically, there are too many scenarios possible to have all bases covered.

After evacuating Houston from Hurricane Rita (Katrina fears), we learned that we will not be going anywhere next time. Bunker down. We did for Hurricane Ike which came a few months after Rita.

Evacuating from a major metropolitan area isn't a real option in many cases.

All this discussion about nuclear weapons, radiation, nuclear power plant meltdowns, thinking about the two nuclear powered submarines 15 miles from here operated by trainees, etc. has me so jittery that I am going to eat as much dessert as possible when I get home tonight until I end it all. :crazy:

No. The idea is that the tablets buy you enough time to escape from the danger zone. They're certainly not for long-term use.

yes I know but my point is - a lot of people won't be able to get out in time. it may take weeks. this is a nuclear bomb.... not nuclear meltdown.

All this discussion about nuclear weapons, radiation, nuclear power plant meltdowns, thinking about the two nuclear powered submarines 15 miles from here operated by trainees, etc. has me so jittery that I am going to eat as much dessert as possible when I get home tonight until I end it all. :crazy:

oh my! stress eating!

You really really have to go under the bunker or your gonna be dead.... SLOWLY! Thats worst thing to human. No matter how prepared you are if your not under the bunker... It is radiation poison all over the air and it will hit you. Bunker is a underground shelter where radiant can't reach in. But problem is if your coming out, everything probably gone and you need help, your may be pretty much in middle of desert. Scary? I know... what can I do?

bunker? pointless! in bunker, you need air to breathe. where do you get air? from outside. most civilian bunkers have air vent connected to outside. if you're uber rich - you can afford a sealed bunker with an equipment that would recycle air.

by the time you get out of bunker after nuclear bomb went off... you've already inhaled radioactive dust into your lungs and you'll probably have a couple days left. the worst part? during those 2 days.... you're bleeding and melting from inside out... and probably losing a bodily function one by one :Ohno:

I'm basically screwed.

My old lady knees and hip joints have slowed me down, although at least the area we live in is very flat.

Been there, done that with the mass evacuation. Unless you have at least three days notice, you will not get out of a danger zone in time. Charleston isn't even a large urban area, and people could not escape in time.

Another problem is, one must have an escape plan and bug out bag with them at all times. Suppose the balloon goes up while you are:

1. at home
2. at school
3. commuting on public transportation
4. in the hospital after major surgery
5. at the mall
6. downtown
7. at the beach
8. out of town at a convention
9. on a plane
10. at work
11. at church
12. at Disney World
13. touring Mammoth Caves

Suppose you and your family members are scattered in different parts of town. Your little kids are at school or day care in the suburbs, mom is working at the downtown hospital, dad is 1,000 miles away at a conference, and grandma is in a nursing home.

Realistically, there are too many scenarios possible to have all bases covered.

exactly. the only way to survive is to do it on your own with the best you can do... you'll have to forget about everybody else and just survive. but that's not in our human nature to do that so..... :run:

and in case of nuclear attack - that's only an hour of notice... or less.

flat land = :run:
mountainous land = better survival chance

I recall that an ADer in this thread asked how and where NK is getting money from.

North Korea sparks crisis over workers from South - CNN.com
North Korea's decision Wednesday to prevent South Korean workers and managers from entering the Kaesong Industrial Complex, which sits on the North's side of the border but houses operations of scores of South Korean companies, is a tangible sign of the tensions between the two sides.

It's also a move that could end up hurting Pyongyang financially, since Kaesong is considered to be an important source of hard currency for Kim's regime.

More than 50,000 North Koreans work in the zone, producing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of goods each year. Those workers earn on average $134 a month, of which North Korean authorities take about 45% in various taxes.

The North had threatened at the weekend to shut down the industrial complex.

That's my whole point. Going into Bunker will extend as long as possible than any other. If your smart enough to grow garden in bunker, your gonna live longer cause plants provides oxygen. But again, why suffer lengthy paranoid and freaking out?

bunker? pointless! in bunker, you need air to breathe. where do you get air? from outside. most civilian bunkers have air vent connected to outside. if you're uber rich - you can afford a sealed bunker with an equipment that would recycle air.

by the time you get out of bunker after nuclear bomb went off... you've already inhaled radioactive dust into your lungs and you'll probably have a couple days left. the worst part? during those 2 days.... you're bleeding and melting from inside out... and probably losing a bodily function one by one :Ohno:

West Coast people become zombies due to nuclear disaster. Zombie army will raid your East Coast. pssh

That's my whole point. Going into Bunker will extend as long as possible than any other.
trust me - nobody like me or you can afford such a thing. the only people who can are government and rich people. the longer you can stay in it, the more expensive it is. and you'll have to maintain it regularly.

If your smart enough to grow garden in bunker, your gonna live longer cause plants provides oxygen.
if you're smart enough... you'll realize that it's infeasible. why don't you figure out the logistic issue of what you speak of?

But again, why suffer lengthy paranoid and freaking out?
huh?

Back