North Korea claims successful nuclear testing underground

Dennis S.

Reaction score
CNN.com - U.S. calls for sanctions against North Korea - Oct 9, 2006

I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted in the news section yet. North Korea stated they had a successful test bombing underground today. The U.S. Geological Survey agency has confirmed that there were seismologic disturbances of about 4.0 or less on the richer scale in the target area. That's about in line for a small bomb in that area.

U.N. weighs sanctions against N. Korea - Yahoo! News

Duck and cover!

Yup....this is probably going to get ugly. Its one thing to threaten it to get your way, but to go and do it....I do have a feeling it will be China that takes care of this for once.

Reba, did you say "duck 'n cover" when Pakistan and India set off their nukes? If not, then for the same reasons that we haven't been nuked by India, Israel, or Pakistan, we won't be nuked by North Korea. Perpetuation of that fear is only a distraction from the true problem at hand, which is our administration's ham handedness of, "If you ain't white and rich, you're against us."

Reba, did you say "duck 'n cover" when Pakistan and India set off their nukes? If not, then for the same reasons that we haven't been nuked by India, Israel, or Pakistan, we won't be nuked by North Korea. Perpetuation of that fear is only a distraction from the true problem at hand, which is our administration's ham handedness of, "If you ain't white and rich, you're against us."
I first learned about "duck and cover" as an elementary school student during the 1950s Cold War. I was in junior high during the Cuban Missile Crisis, which directly involved a close family member, and sat with an anxious family in front of our black and white TV awaiting news. When I was in the Navy in the 1970s, I learned the more pragmatic position was "bend over and kiss your butt good-bye." So? What is wrong with "duck and cover"?

North Korea is not India, Pakistan, or Israel. North Korea has also been testing the range of its missiles, and deals weapons with terrorist nations and groups.

Are you saying we should just ignore the situation? After all, you brought it up, so it must be important to you.

The final analysis of the test isn't yet in. Theoretically, they might have just tested a conventional TNT explosion underground to mimic a nuke test. The visual evidence can look the same. Until the air sniffer results are known, and other test results, we really don't know what they did. Testing underground minimizes the amount of radiation into the atmosphere, so it's harder to get the air samples necessary to measure radiation. It would be nice if we could actually get soil samples from the test area.

BTW, another new episode of "Jericho" tomorrow night. ;)

Yep its been said the could be the cause of a 2nd "Cold War" Funny how Bush don't do nothing about them. When North Korea could become a bigger threat to the U.S. far more then Iraq ever could.

CNN.com - U.S. calls for sanctions against North Korea - Oct 9, 2006

I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted in the news section yet. North Korea stated they had a successful test bombing underground today. The U.S. Geological Survey agency has confirmed that there were seismologic disturbances of about 4.0 or less on the richer scale in the target area. That's about in line for a small bomb in that area.

U.N. weighs sanctions against N. Korea - Yahoo! News

Yes a couple months ago I believe that North Korea tested one of their missles to the United States, but it failed. I read about that & thats when they was talking about another Cold War.

I first learned about "duck and cover" as an elementary school student during the 1950s Cold War. I was in junior high during the Cuban Missile Crisis, which directly involved a close family member, and sat with an anxious family in front of our black and white TV awaiting news. When I was in the Navy in the 1970s, I learned the more pragmatic position was "bend over and kiss your butt good-bye." So? What is wrong with "duck and cover"?

North Korea is not India, Pakistan, or Israel. North Korea has also been testing the range of its missiles, and deals weapons with terrorist nations and groups.

Are you saying we should just ignore the situation? After all, you brought it up, so it must be important to you.

Yep its been said the could be the cause of a 2nd "Cold War" Funny how Bush don't do nothing about them. When North Korea could become a bigger threat to the U.S. far more then Iraq ever could.
What would you like Bush to do about N. Korea?

in case, anyone don't know.. North and South Korea are still on war, there is no offical end of war.

N. and S. Korea have truce not to continue to shoot and bomb each other in 1950s and its a standoff at the DMZ border since then.

Our gov't is more nervous about having N. Korea becoming nuclear country than Pakinstian and India. Its becuz N. Korea's leader, Kim is unpredictable and possibly unstable so its hard to know how far he will push it with us--possibly to nuke war if he is really crazy enough.

probably for up to 50 or 100 years, it would be finally end of war and have both North and South unite in one once again.

I don't think a "duck and cover" attitude is appropriate here. I'm sure you were joking, but at the same time, "duck and cover" instills fear that North Korea really could hit the U.S. with any kind of nuke.

I'm more of the opinion that the admin will use this as a distraction from the Foley scandal. Opinion of the incumbent goes up when it looks like we're taking a hard stance on an external problem, in this case, with North Korea. So, instead of addressing internal problems and really doing bad at solving them, the Republican portion of the U.S. administration would rather have everyone look at the "other hand" which is the "North Korean Nuke Issue."

I'm not going to let myself be distracted by this sleight of hand. We have professionals who are paid to deal with external states. The admin needs to deal with the internal issues at stake.

Originally Posted by JLFWildKat

I wouldn't want Bush to do anything, he'd might get us all killed with nuclear war. Like all those troops being killed for nothing in Iraq

Let me get this straight. You criticized Bush because he "don't do nothing about them", and yet you "wouldn't want Bush to do anything." Which is it?

If Bush doesn't do something about N. Korea, he's wrong.
If Bush does do something about N. Korea, he's wrong.

:confused:

i did not know you're older than us... i realize you are very understanding person to know the different.

LoL Reba, no not exactly what I meant. I was being sarcastic. The truth of the matter is. Iraq really didn't pose a threat against the U.S. They even allowed UN Inspectors to come in & investigate. Now North Korea is a different story. They are admitting to what they got. Even tested & retested there, well guess you can call them "Weapons of Mass Destruction" Like he accused Iraq of. So the point that I'm getting acrossed here. Its been known about this with North Korea for few years now. But he was in such a hurry & have no problem to invade Iraq for this so-called "War on Terror." When our main concern is to find & capture Bin Laden. Looks like Bush wants to conquer every country that has Terriorists. That's nearly impossible. But, thats Bush for ya I guess.

Let me get this straight. You criticized Bush because he "don't do nothing about them", and yet you "wouldn't want Bush to do anything." Which is it?

If Bush doesn't do something about N. Korea, he's wrong.
If Bush does do something about N. Korea, he's wrong.

:confused:

Well, what if North Korea is bluffing about this whole Nuclear situation......I bet you Kim which is totally a chick name wanted to microwave his beef and cheese burritoes and said hey....I'm gonna nuke this bitch and someone took it out of proportion. Or what if he said something that sounded like nuke....like hey I had too many guys over at my place to feed me "hot dogs" and "Salty Ranch Dressing" and now I gotta puke. Or maybe he does have missles.....but what the hell are they gonna launch them with a fooking catapult!!?? Ok so today we're gonna nuke South Korea via catapult.....whoever is operating the catapult I am sorry....you are totally fooked....have a good day. Dude the North Korean leader looks like he could be a spokes person for Taco Bell.......Hey Taco Bell....there is an idea for you.....Kim and Taco Bell dog are quite similar....just look at them, imagine all of the tacos you can sell by combining the two! Kim could say....mmm....the nuclear sauce on these taco's is fantastic!!! Then the dog could poop on him and say.....how do you like these bombs bitch!

Back