NorCal man reportedly sets fire to apartment while trying to kill massive spider with lighter

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yikes! :eek:

It's a compelling tale of man versus nature: One Redding, Calif. resident. One unsettlingly furry spider. And a blaze that took firefighters 20 minutes to extinguish.

On Sunday, firefighters rushed to the 2500 block of Waldon Street near downtown Redding to put out a fire that had erupted inside a single unit at an apartment complex, the Redding Record Searchlight reports. The fire caused about $11,000 in damage and rendered the unit uninhabitable. No injuries were reported.

The Redding paper spoke to witness Lyndsey Wisegarver, a caregiver for one of the men who lived in the apartment, to understand the cause of the fire.
"It was a huge wolf spider," she said.

One of the men living in the apartment, Wisegarver told the Searchlight, had attempted to set the arachnid ablaze with a torch lighter, only for the flaming spider to crawl onto a mattress. The fire then spread from the mattress to the drapes and a collection of flags, Wisegarver claims.

A fire official told the paper the blaze reached a bedroom closet, but firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to neighboring apartments.

The two men occupying the apartment will not be able to return, but Wisegarver told the Record Searchlight that they had been planning to move out for some time; Sunday's fire "just sped up the process."

Redding fire officials could not be immediately reached for comment. A fire marshal told Buzzfeed an investigation remains ongoing.

Though large and scary in appearance, wolf spiders are non-venomous and generally skittish around humans. Click here to read SFGATE's advice for safely removing the gentle arachnids from your home.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/NorCal-fire-wolf-spider-apartment-torch-lighter-12483152.php

I think this falls under the heading of "you can't fix stupid!" I think a better choice would of been his shoe or a perhaps a pot or frying pan to take out the spider.

I think this falls under the heading of "you can't fix stupid!" I think a better choice would of been his shoe or a perhaps a pot or frying pan to take out the spider.

Perhaps... but there is people who have fear of spiders who wants nothing to do with it. He probably won't be using torch again after what happened, maybe he'll call a professional to handle the spider.

Perhaps... but there is people who have fear of spiders who wants nothing to do with it. He probably won't be using torch again after what happened, maybe he'll call a professional to handle the spider.
I don't think the spider is going to wait for a professional to arrive :)

He probably had to get as close or perhaps closer than he would of to kill it with his shoe or a frying pan!

I heard about a guy who shot his toe off with a gun. Got no idea if he hit the inscrutable spider or not. Lol

While I lived in San Diego, the local media went crazy. The guy was fed up with roaches in his apartment, so he bought about 18 bug bombs. He blew it up. Whoops. It's been reported roaches survived.

Some of these people must be the children of Darwin Award winners.

Back