Noncitizen sentenced to 8 years for illegal voting

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A Texas woman was sentenced Thursday to eight years in prison for illegal voting, The Dallas Morning News reported.

A Tarrant County jury found Rosa Maria Ortega guilty of voting in the November 2012 general election and the May 2014 Republican primary runoff in Dallas County “when she knew she was not a United States citizen.”

Ortega, 37, was arrested in 2015. She is a legal U.S. resident, but is not a citizen and therefore, not qualified to vote.

She testified that at the time she voted she did not understand the differences between the rights granted to a citizen and a legal resident.

"If I knew, everything would have been done the correct way," Ortega testified. "All my life I was taught I was a U.S. citizen."

Attorneys for the state showed the jury that she checked a box on her driver's license form indicating she was not a citizen, despite her testimony to the contrary.

Ortega was sentenced to eight years and a $5,000 fine on each count.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/...ria-ortega-sentenced-8-years-voting-illegally

"All my life I was taught I was a U.S. citizen."

All her life? How could that be if she wasn't born in the USA?

"All my life I was taught I was a U.S. citizen."

All her life? How could that be if she wasn't born in the USA?

Her memory does not go back to before she was here. And being told she is a citizen is all she knows.

Good example to another illegal voters. They better admit now before getting caught.

I think our President should deport them instead of using our taxpayers money to put them in jail.

Certainly, 8 years is extreme. That's Texas for ya. As a Texas voter, if you want to vote, you must have the voter card, the penalty on the information is explained clearly. I don't know where she came from. If she's got relatives outside the US, she is lucky. she is going to have to stay there with them for a while. As a daughter of US naturalized citizens, I have plenty of friends and relatives that are a legal resident and carry a green card. They all know the difference between US citizen and a legal resident. If you want to become a legal resident, you're required by officials to interview you and ask you very very personal questions. I'm positive she lied.

Yes, feel it's too extreme...perhaps making an example out of her?...She broke the Law, regardless...and so have many others. Even dead people too. A 100% honest election is never gonna happen.

And there are 3 to 5 million more to go to investigate. LOL

8 years may be a long time, but there was a man who was sentenced FOR LIFE in prison by selling/using pot. Now that IS excessive.

But of course, he was later released after being in prison for 20 years.

do you not have to register to vote? Why did the register people let her vote, seems it is their fault as much as hers, maybe more. 8 years i agree is a bit much when murders get off in 5 in some places, also depends on who you kill. Anyway someone at the voting center was being a dumb A$$ for letting her in there in the first place.

do you not have to register to vote? Why did the register people let her vote, seems it is their fault as much as hers, maybe more. 8 years i agree is a bit much when murders get off in 5 in some places, also depends on who you kill. Anyway someone at the voting center was being a dumb A$$ for letting her in there in the first place.

That's true for manslaughter, not first degree or second degree murder.

First degree murder usually carry death penalty to life in prison and second degree murder usually carry more than 10 years in prison, all up to life with parole.

FYI, vote fraud is very serious crime in most states.

if anyone should know about fraud it would be the government.
Back to the point in hand, how did she get past the voters registration process, just to get a drivers license i had to take 3 forms of ID and none of those could be my current drivers license.
She should have been told no long before she got to the poles, do you not agree with that?

if anyone should know about fraud it would be the government.
Back to the point in hand, how did she get past the voters registration process, just to get a drivers license i had to take 3 forms of ID and none of those could be my current drivers license.
She should have been told no long before she got to the poles, do you not agree with that?
Three forms of ID? Good grief.

Back