No Interpreter For Two Months For School!

My guess is CSD Riverside is about three hours away from where she lives. She said she goes to school in Sweetwater District. It stretches from the border to East.
You're right. The school first told me an interpreter may not be available when I first told them I'm hoh. But they really need to get one because I'm really unable to switch schools, and moving to Riverside is not an option because I'm still a minor and my dad is unwilling to do that. I will contact ome of the people I was linked to on the website if a terp isn't provided to me by the time my school break ends

You're right. The school first told me an interpreter may not be available when I first told them I'm hoh. But they really need to get one because I'm really unable to switch schools, and moving to Riverside is not an option because I'm still a minor and my dad is unwilling to do that. I will contact ome of the people I was linked to on the website if a terp isn't provided to me by the time my school break ends

Yeah, the schools always warn you all the time you may not get terp or not. I dread it. In San Diego, I was told I couldn't get terp when I switched classes in the middle of the semester. I was a 8th grade student at the time. My mom showed up in person quite a few times and pestered them like crazy. I kept praying and the terp was finally available for my Algebra class. Thanks goodness!

You should try that link. Call them right away. Be aggressive.

Sorry about your dad.

Yeah, the schools always warn you all the time you may not get terp or not. I dread it. In San Diego, I was told I couldn't get terp when I switched classes in the middle of the semester. I was a 8th grade student at the time. My mom showed up in person quite a few times and pestered them like crazy. I kept praying and the terp was finally available for my Algebra class. Thanks goodness!

You should try that link. Call them right away. Be aggressive.

Sorry about your dad.

Yeah! I've emailed just about everyone I could. They keep saying "we haven't forgotten about you!! :))" And its like, im sitting in class for weeks not understanding what they're saying and it's very annoying not only to me, but others for me to ask people to repeat themselves one or two or more times. I've been making a fuss about it since I moved here. My dad's actually pretty mad about it too. But ee can't move to Riverside sadly. Just hard to uproot everyone here and leave. Wish I could go though!

Yeah! I've emailed just about everyone I could. They keep saying "we haven't forgotten about you!! :))" And its like, im sitting in class for weeks not understanding what they're saying and it's very annoying not only to me, but others for me to ask people to repeat themselves one or two or more times. I've been making a fuss about it since I moved here. My dad's actually pretty mad about it too. But ee can't move to Riverside sadly. Just hard to uproot everyone here and leave. Wish I could go though!

Vanessita, I hate that line, "we haven't forgotten about you." I'd rather throwing up than hearing that. To be honest, emailing is not going to be help. It's like creating another barrier and make it more difficult. You guys gotta show up in the office and pester school officials and teachers aggressively. That's how my mom did it. They find my mom intimidating.

I wish you could go to Riverside,too.

I
Vanessita, I hate that line, "we haven't forgotten about you." I'd rather throwing up than hearing that. To be honest, emailing is not going to be help. It's like creating another barrier and make it more difficult. You guys gotta show up in the office and pester school officials and teachers aggressively. That's how my mom did it. They find my mom intimidating.

I wish you could go to Riverside,too.
Just called everyone I could from the links people have sent me and I have someone that will be able to represent me and see what I can do. They not promise fast results but promise they're there to represent me here. That's good! As long as there's someone else here in my corner, I'm glad. Thank you all SO much for your help. If nothing happens next week, I will stomp in there and create a fuss!!! I'm nkt sure if it's my school that's taking a long time or an outside source. Jts just really unfair that it's taking so long.

I would think you could live there in the dorms and go home on the weekends and holidays so as not to uproot the family but on the other hand I can see why perhaps you'd not want to live in the dorms either (as travel does cost money depending on affordability and distance).

I would think you could live there in the dorms and go home on the weekends and holidays so as not to uproot the family but on the other hand I can see why perhaps you'd not want to live in the dorms either (as travel does cost money depending on affordability and distance).

I was thinking of that, but idk what's involved in it and I also don't want to leave where I am now. I just moved here and just for settled in. I also don't think my dad would be okay with that either

I was thinking of that, but idk what's involved in it and I also don't want to leave where I am now. I just moved here and just for settled in. I also don't think my dad would be okay with that either
Too bad. Would have been a good solution....but if you continue with the issues, it might be a possibilty....And ask your dad. You never know!

If you can't get an interpreter, then request remote CART.

Also keep in mind that an ASL terp, CART and anything else MUST be in your IEP, or it doesn't mean anything.

Just called everyone I could from the links people have sent me and I have someone that will be able to represent me and see what I can do. They not promise fast results but promise they're there to represent me here. That's good! As long as there's someone else here in my corner, I'm glad. Thank you all SO much for your help. If nothing happens next week, I will stomp in there and create a fuss!!! I'm nkt sure if it's my school that's taking a long time or an outside source. Jts just really unfair that it's taking so long.

Keep us posted! I do agree it is taking long is unfair. Fight harder.

If you can't get an interpreter, then request remote CART.

Also keep in mind that an ASL terp, CART and anything else MUST be in your IEP, or it doesn't mean anything.
I've been trying to get it put in there. My hearing has gotten worse and I can't distinguish words anymore. Everything sounds the same! That's why I'm requesting an interpreter now and explained that it's getting worse. My principal said she'll update me tomorrow morning so I can be prepared for whatever happens regarding getting a terp the next day when school starts.

I've been trying to get it put in there. My hearing has gotten worse and I can't distinguish words anymore. Everything sounds the same! That's why I'm requesting an interpreter now and explained that it's getting worse. My principal said she'll update me tomorrow morning so I can be prepared for whatever happens regarding getting a terp the next day when school starts.
Emphasize that. Send a copy of your audiogram if you have to. You're working too hard to use the limited hearing you have!

So.. What did your principal say???

I see you got one, but this applies to everyone. before you go all lawyering up, call the director of special ed (or have your parent do it) and tell them you need an ASL interpreter and if its not in your IEP request a meeting to modify your IEP. This is exactly what the lawyer will tell you. Then if you don't get services, then you get a lawyer or ask for a due process hearing (most districts will bend over backwards to help if threatened with a due process hearing)
http://specialservices.sweetwaterschools.org/

Back