Nice Captioning

set2

Reaction score
I recieved voice mail from my dentist's office reminding me of an up coming appointment. I have a Captioned phone and my Dentist's last name begins with a K but on the screen it said Dr. Kevorkian. WRONG NAME! :eek:

Well that's because we have 30 millions deaf and hard of hearing (those figures include those latened deaf as well) so FCC (Federal Communication Commission requires such to be offered to those although FCC has to be petitioned by users at large. Then FCC create a law that demand such device to be offered. Same thing with CC here in USA.

This device can be great tool for aural rehab. for CI users. :) for example Look up while listening then repeat back and look at the display to see if it's correct eh.

Well that's because we have 30 millions deaf and hard of hearing (those figures include those latened deaf as well) so FCC (Federal Communication Commission requires such to be offered to those although FCC has to be petitioned by users at large. Then FCC create a law that demand such device to be offered. Same thing with CC here in USA.

This device can be great tool for aural rehab. for CI users. :) for example Look up while listening then repeat back and look at the display to see if it's correct eh.

Yeah, a large population certainly helps in terms of advocacy. The deaf population here has declined quite sharply to the point of Auslan being in endangered language status, so the negotiating power is not very strong.

Yeah, a large population certainly helps in terms of advocacy. The deaf population here has declined quite sharply to the point of Auslan being in endangered language status, so the negotiating power is not very strong.
It does not have to be deaf population. I am sure there's large hoh population that could benefit from this device though... the rate of deafness in population is increasing not due to birth but due to noise.

Oh Gosh my dream!!!

I wish it was available in Canada!!

Fuzzy

I wish there was one without someone knowing your business.My extended local family isnt game on them.Think it like big brother watching.They just wait until we see eachother face to face and then of course no one remembers anything so I am out of the loop.

I would so love to get a CapTel phone, even if I can't understand people on the phone but to let my daughters, Mom, and Husband hear me talk myself without having to go thru VRS would be awesome. I wonder if they give CapTel phones to those that are Deaf/HOH for free? Or would I have to pay for it myself? :/
I just hate how that TDD's, phones, this and that are soo expensive for us Deafies, it's not fair. :/

deafmama, I think it depends on the state but I am in CA and I was able to get the phone for free. Right now they phones are still in a trial period but I hope they become available to more HOH and not just in the US.

Boult, I am glad you mentioned it being a good tool for aural rehab. I never thought of that.

I would so love to get a CapTel phone, even if I can't understand people on the phone but to let my daughters, Mom, and Husband hear me talk myself without having to go thru VRS would be awesome. I wonder if they give CapTel phones to those that are Deaf/HOH for free? Or would I have to pay for it myself? :/
I just hate how that TDD's, phones, this and that are soo expensive for us Deafies, it's not fair. :/
they're free to federally employee.. hmm.. try to work with federal government :eek:

i think this is basically not fair for non-government working people.. such as me.

Wow that is cool. We don't have that in Australia. I think the relay system here is still in the dark ages. You can't use a cell phone on the relay and cannot use a computer.

Isn't he/she talking about TTY, that we have in Australia? I used to have one

Isn't he/she talking about TTY, that we have in Australia? I used to have one

Actually, now that I look at the Captel website I realise you are right. It's the voice carry over service using a relay operator, isn't it? For some reason I thought the captioning was being done using some software on the phone. Duh!

I still think we need TTY services on mobile phones and computers though!

Good to see another Aussie here.

Yes -- we do still need TTYs. Many people forget about the deafblind who do not have access to services like CapTel (although from what I understand, they are currently working on large print and Braille access) and mobile pagers.

I still have my TeleBraille III (Braille TTY) that I've owned since 1995 and it still works perfectly. After I received my first CI, I almost donated it to our local deafblind center, but I changed my mind given the fact that I would be unable to make a phone call if both of my processors stopped working. (Additionally, the TeleBraille also serves as a wonderful face-to-face communication device.)

Actually, now that I look at the Captel website I realise you are right. It's the voice carry over service using a relay operator, isn't it? For some reason I thought the captioning was being done using some software on the phone. Duh!

Good to see another Aussie here.
I've used a Captel phone for several years, now. While I'm most grateful to have it and it is free here in Indiana; I sometimes wish that it did use voice-recognition software. I think that Captel must be having problems getting good help because the incoming text has been getting increasingly garbled over the past year. It is very frustrating when you live alone and cannot understand what is being texted to you......or the relayer just drops out of the conversation, completely. It reminds me of the early years of CC on TV.

Likely the new administration will consider that over regulation. they'd like to hobble the FCC anyway.

Man I have been looking at the captel phone for about 3 years. I really want one but my biggest problem is not having a home line and never being home haha

Back