newbie earmold questions

SpaceGlitter

Reaction score
Hi! so, I'm seeing my audi this week so I'm still not sure what he'll recommend (if anything, I saw him when I was a teenager and just started losing my hearing. he basically just shrugged and sent me on my way. ugh.) but I've been looking around at different hearing aids, mostly on the cheap side (costco, audicus.) and I've noticed that most of them use domes. That doesn't work for me. The last pair I had used domes and it was awful, one of my ears in moderate & the other profound. too much sound escaped and the whole feedback loop was happening. I need earmolds. But I can't find any answers about this!

So, with BTE hearing aids that have open fit/domes, is it possible to fit them with molds? Is that super obvious? Is it true with most/all of them or just some? I know nothing, lol. Thanks xox.

Hi! so, I'm seeing my audi this week so I'm still not sure what he'll recommend (if anything, I saw him when I was a teenager and just started losing my hearing. he basically just shrugged and sent me on my way. ugh.) but I've been looking around at different hearing aids, mostly on the cheap side (costco, audicus.) and I've noticed that most of them use domes. That doesn't work for me. The last pair I had used domes and it was awful, one of my ears in moderate & the other profound. too much sound escaped and the whole feedback loop was happening. I need earmolds. But I can't find any answers about this!

So, with BTE hearing aids that have open fit/domes, is it possible to fit them with molds? Is that super obvious? Is it true with most/all of them or just some? I know nothing, lol. Thanks xox.
I don't think the ones with domes can be fitted with earmolds, BUT, they should also come in a ear hook/earmold model.

This is just an example. I'm not "selling" Phonak to you (though I did wear Phonak's Naida's for several years before I got my CI.

https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids/phonak-naida-b.html

I just got my first ear moulds yesterday, the hearing aids that use domes are usually a complete different batteries, (bigger size) also the tubes for domes are real skinny and twitsts onto the aids but with the moulds the shape of the aid is complete different it has an extra plastic tube from the top.
I thought all was the same up until yesterday. I hope this helps.

I have earmolds and I like them. I purposely got brightly colored molds so that my hearing aid is easily identified. I have chronic ear infections and chronic pain in my face so I often have to leave my hearing aid out and it makes it easier for my students to know when I'm wearing it

I have always found domes very itchy for me, i just asked my audi for earmolds and they were more then happy to fit me with them if that was going to be more comfortable

Finally worked out how to upload a photo, lol.

Here are my new ear molds. I also got a lot of purple glitter ear moulds that I got 2 weeks ago.

I much prefer ear molds rather then domes. I think most (at least Phonak do) BTE hearing aids can work with either domes or ear moulds. Even RIC hearing aids can work with ear molds as well.

Attachments

• BD3A6DD5-3D50-4426-B169-CE3BDFEF8FC9.jpeg
    BD3A6DD5-3D50-4426-B169-CE3BDFEF8FC9.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 11
You can get HA's with earmolds from Costco. You can also get a RIC from Costco with micro molds.

Here is another newbie ear mould question.
On my old aid tubes and battery compartment I had a red and blue spot indicating left from right
My current ones have left and right spots on the battery compartment but not on the moulds.
I am hoping that it should not Matter which aid goes in which ear because if it does I could be putting the wrong side in the wrong ear.
Because I can turn the tubes to make it fit in either ear.

I would think the left one would not fit, at least comfortably, I’m the right one and vice versa.

Were the old ones domes instead of full molds?

Yes they was domes :) but even though the new ones moulds they can twist on the plastic loop to fit in either ear, but won't the profile for individual ears depend on the colour dot?
So if I don't know which one belonging to which ear could mean I have them in the wrong way around?

You have a left and right HA and you have either left and right earmolds or tubes, they should not fit comfortably in the wrong ear. If you feel you're going to put the wrong one's in the wrong ears, get some blue and red nail polish, paint or permanent markers and put a red and blue dot on the correct mold.

so basically i have been using my hearing aids wrong and possibly in the wrong ears,
i have found a couple of videos on you tube which have told me which on belongs in which ear,
i looked all over the leaflet i got and found nothing to state which one belongs in which ear,
the first time i cleaned my aids i removed both my moulds at the same time so when i put them back together i could not tell which one was which.
but i found a couple of video's i will link down below

Right is RED Left is BLUE

Last edited:
How on earth can you fit the ear moulds in the wrong ears?!?! It should be obvious. I also don’t have a left and right marker but if I take my ear moulds and tubing off my hearing aids, I just put the right on the right and the left on the left, next to each other.

How on earth can you fit the ear moulds in the wrong ears?!?! It should be obvious. I also don’t have a left and right marker but if I take my ear moulds and tubing off my hearing aids, I just put the right on the right and the left on the left, next to each other.
She said she had domes.

Misspoke

Last edited:
so basically i have been using my hearing aids wrong and possibly in the wrong ears,
i have found a couple of videos on you tube which have told me which on belongs in which ear,
i looked all over the leaflet i got and found nothing to state which one belongs in which ear,
the first time i cleaned my aids i removed both my moulds at the same time so when i put them back together i could not tell which one was which.
but i found a couple of video's i will link down below

Right is RED Left is BLUE

Can you post a picture of your ear molds so we can get a better idea of what you have? Thanks

Back