New to this... with Questions

Kevin2657

Reaction score
I'm 39, I lost my hearing in my right ear scuba diving 15 years ago and until recently managed my hearing life just fine with the exception of noisy environments I couldn't complain with Unilateral. Now I am bilateral, from an unlucky bout with SSHL and now with zero sound, not even my own voice... Most of you likely understand that... I'm being told Cochlear implants are my best bet, I'm here seeking one advice, because the Audiologist and Med Tech world all have their pitches... I am also wondering what I can expect from Cochlear, what will the quality of my hearing be? Its been scary, and frustrating, I worry about communicating with my wife and my kids most of all.

Whats the best out their? Med-El, AB, Cochlear? positives negatives of them?

Thank you
Kevin

First, Cochlear is a brand name. Cochlear implant is the device.
I have advanced bionics and love it. I had hearing loss from birth that was progressive.
A scuba accident would only damage your middle ear. Have you had a bone conduction test?

Yes of course, the dishing trip caused the loss of the hairs due to miss diagnosis for months from ENT, neither ear ha any conduction.

Cochlear advertises having this great relationship with Apple, does your AB pair with new tech well?

Thank you for the reply

You might want to go to HearingJourney.com and ask questions there too. It’s AB’s forum but the members their are very helpful.

There is a process to see if you qualify. You could try and see if you qualify and then decide if it's something you want. No one really can decide for you but you. A CI isn't something you just turn on and hear normally again. You will still be deaf. I don't have one but I went through the process, however I didn't qualify. It's a tough decision to make. Perhaps you and your family could learn some sign language to help you until you decide if it's right for you. I get how hard it is to communicate. I wish you the best.

Yes of course, the dishing trip caused the loss of the hairs due to miss diagnosis for months from ENT, neither ear ha any conduction.

Cochlear advertises having this great relationship with Apple, does your AB pair with new tech well?

Thank you for the reply
I’m still not sure how a scuba trip could cause loss of hair cells but that is because I’m a medical scientist and over think things.
Advanced Bionics has been absolutely amazing. I can use regular headphones but once the SWORD is approved, I’m definitely getting my left ear implanted. One ear is not enough ears.

Vallorian has given you the best advice I have seen so far. First, go through the approval process to see if you even qualify before starting on the CI journey. Learning ASL would be a huge step in the right direction no matter what you decide to do. I am a latened deaf female. I did eventually get a CI. However, I will wear mine and can hear with it....but I hate it. The only time I wear it is if I absolutely have to. Now whether if it is my fault that I don't like it or not, I can't tell you. When I say that I can hear with it.....let me be clear that it is not without difficulty. I still heavily rely on lipreading when I wear it and I still often cannot understand what is being said. Now some people may say it is because I do not practice enough with it. That could very well be true, but then again like anything else it is just a tool. Nothing is ever going to give us back our natural hearing. I think that may be why I hate it so much. I want my natural hearing back where I can hear everything without question. I lost my hearing 33 years ago and still miss it very much. I only 14 and dealing with that loss wasn't easy by a long shot. I accept that I am deaf and I accept that there is nothing wrong with me or wrong with being deaf. But having been naturally hearing and knowing EXACTLY what that was like....I wish I was hearing again. I miss waking up to the birds singing in the trees, the sound of lawnmowers cutting the grass, water trickling in the stream, and many other things you simply can't catch anymore with any of the tools.

One poster above is right though, no matter what we tell ya and what advice we give you....only you can choose whether if you want this or not. Do your research and make the choice based on what you think is best for you.

Back