New to asl

Caloakie

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm fairly new to ASL. I'm in my third class. I'm not Deaf, but my husband has Meniere's, and is losing his hearing rapidly. We decided to learn ASL as soon as possible. Long story short, I am hoping to find new friends and a signing buddy to help me practice and learn. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Welcome :wave:

It is good that you are getting started on this path now and learning together.

Welcome :wave:
Thanks, we took the first class together, so much fun. He needs a night class, we haven't found one near us. So I've taken the next two alone.
It is good that you are getting started on this path now and learning together.

Hi all! I'm fairly new to ASL. I'm in my third class. I'm not Deaf, but my husband has Meniere's, and is losing his hearing rapidly. We decided to learn ASL as soon as possible. Long story short, I am hoping to find new friends and a signing buddy to help me practice and learn. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
My mother has it as well. Hers seems to be progressing slowly though, which is great for her since she doesn't know much sign other than what we used/use for my children when they were/are young (7 year old and 18 month old), and no real ASL. I assume she will use SEE for the simple fact that I doubt more than me and my kids will learn the complexity of ASL. My family is from a small town that treats deaf people like they are burdens. I've seen it happen with a classmate. She was pushed through school because it was required, not taught ASL, not taught to read much, people treated her like she wouldn't amount to anything, so she wasn't aware she could. Now, my mother knows that deaf does not mean broken, but I worry where she will get the majority of her support. She doesn't have contacts in the deaf community. Does anyone have advice for her, support system wise? I'm worried she will be left to the side when her hearing finally does go, and she may not have the courage to seek out alternate support systems. My husband and I move frequently and she refuses to tag along with us. Advice?

Back