New to alldeaf, been struggling with hearing all my life.

Tyler C

Reaction score
Hey all!
New here, From BC Canada, been HoH and progressively becoming deaf since I was a child.
Looking to meet/ connect with others encountering the same struggles. Not a lot of understanding nor assistance in my part of the world for hearing impairment.

Thanks for having me! Hope to connect with new faces soon!

Hi Tyler. My hearing has been getting progressively worse since I was 14! I know how you feel! Do you wear hearing aids?

I do not. I own one for my right side - Hardly wear it though. I find it uncomfortable, and it doesn't help much.
My left side is basically non existent and my right side is on the high end of moderate to the low end of severe hearing loss.

How bout you?

Hello and welcome aboard! :wave:

What hearing aid do you currently own, if I may ask? I still wear the good ol' Oticon PerSonic.

I do not. I own one for my right side - Hardly wear it though. I find it uncomfortable, and it doesn't help much.
My left side is basically non existent and my right side is on the high end of moderate to the low end of severe hearing loss.

How bout you?
Yes I do. I only just recently started wearing them again! I have the small RIC aids, and they're a lot more comfortable for me than the BTE ones.

Hello and welcome aboard! :wave:

What hearing aid do you currently own, if I may ask? I still wear the good ol' Oticon PerSonic.

I have a Phonak v50. Never tried RIC. I guess you could say i try my hardest to just avoid going to the audiologist office in general.

Hey all!
New here, From BC Canada, been HoH and progressively becoming deaf since I was a child.
Looking to meet/ connect with others encountering the same struggles. Not a lot of understanding nor assistance in my part of the world for hearing impairment.

hi i lost my hearing as well due to seizures its scary and sometimes lonely but im trying to adapt and trying to learn and make friends as well

I have a Phonak v50. Never tried RIC. I guess you could say i try my hardest to just avoid going to the audiologist office in general.
Looks like you had a bad experience. Can you try an different audiologist? Maybe they have a different one there by now? Maybe one that is better qualified for losses such as ours. Not much sense in unnecessarily inconveniencing oneself and others.

Hey all!

Hello! I have been HoH at least since 9 yrs old, with it becoming progressively worse as I get older. You may want to consider checking into a different audiologist if possible. Your audiologist should ensure that you are comfortable with your aid. They can be very hard to get used to, especially if you don't keep wearing them. Keep trying or consider looking into other types of aids and possibly a trial time for different types. I have really been enjoying Phonak audeo hearing aids. It was tough getting used to silicone domes for some reason. I wore the hard shell in the ear aids most of my non-growing years. :welcome:

If I were in that situation I would probably consider a cochlear implant for the bad ear only. I have absolutely no hearing left so can't use aids.
azjudy

Back