new surgery date

Adam

Reaction score
well it has been a while since I have posted. a lot has happened but the short update is that my surgery date has been changed from June 2nd to April 26th. I found out yesterday.

I will have to go with Med-el as my first choice was not an option at this hospital.

Can't wait!!!

adam

Cant you change hospitals to get the brand you want? I would change hospital if the selected hospital doesn't allow the brand you want because after all, your going to be using it for 20+ years (til it breaks) and once its in your head, its perment until another surgery.

no, i looked into that and none of the hospitals in my state or bordering states will be using them. there are other factors as well that would keep me at my hospital. Its all good as the one I'm getting is pretty good and i'll be hearing a heck of a lot more than I am now.

Good luck on whatever you have selected, I have heard Med-el is pretty good, keep us updated

Just had mine over 3 weeks back, got activated a week back (cochlear), I was dizzy for like 5-6 days, pain for 2 days and then everything got better fast after the 6th day, so don't worry, you will do fine

Good luck! I've heard really great things about Med-El. This writer has written a bit (and really well) about her Med-El experience and voyage into getting a CI as an adult.

Good luck...I was the recipient of a Med-El implant just last Thursday. Still waiting for my activation on May 12.

Like you I had no choice but to go with Med-El in my Province. However, from my research they seem to be just as good or better than the other two brands. Of course now I have to be biased lol...

But seriously most of the reasons for people picking one of the other brands were purely superficial such as size and colour of the external processor. Now this may have been true with the last generation of Med-El processors (Opus 1?) but the Opus 2 is the smallest/lightest of the three now if I remember correctly. I think that came from cochlearimplantonline.com

Anyways best of luck and keep watchin my posts for progress updates.

from my research they seem to be just as good or better than the other two brands. Of course now I have to be biased lol...

LOL PTcallaghan, best luck for the activation and beyond
How do medEl looks like, never saw one :)

My activation is scheduled for May 11th. I did a great deal of research in choosing an implant. of course my wife gives me a hard time because Ireaseach everything to death before deciding. heck i'll spend a month deciding which running shoes to buy. have to be at the hospital bright and early at 6:30 am tuesday.
Fl885 I attached a pictue of the sound processor

1665562275956d11340730e12f005561[1].jpg

Best luck Adam, it seems that MedEl has a remote control like Cochlear, you will love the remote :)

My activation is scheduled for May 11th. I did a great deal of research in choosing an implant. of course my wife gives me a hard time because Ireaseach everything to death before deciding. heck i'll spend a month deciding which running shoes to buy. have to be at the hospital bright and early at 6:30 am tuesday.
Fl885 I attached a pictue of the sound processor

View attachment 15831

Is that a baha or a Cochlear? I never seen that processor before.

That is their Cochlear Implant external processor...

Here is another pic showing it on a person...to me it actually looks smaller when it is in place than just the unit by it self.

Attachments

• med-el.jpg
    med-el.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 10
And yes there are no external buttons or switches on the Med-El processor meaning you HAVE to use the remote but from the sounds of it, once you get a few Mappings you wont have much need for it.

The unit itself is mostly batteries (the whole tail piece) I imagine this is similar for the other brands as well. Hopefully as with all electronics, their improvements in battery usage will result in smaller and smaller processors.

I would say it is probably comparable to some of the higher powered BTE hearing aids in length but not nearly as wide. So if you have smaller ears like me, it will probably be a decent fit.

That is their Cochlear Implant external processor...

Here is another pic showing it on a person...to me it actually looks smaller when it is in place than just the unit by it self.

hmm, interesting, it just seems so much like a baha to me!

Back