New professor can sign!

Hayden

Reaction score
I had lunch with a bunch of students and teachers from my major today, and got to meet some of my new professors.

Cool: One of my professors for next semester has Deaf parents, and can sign!

Less cool: She saw me tell someone that drunk sorority girls look like slutty baby horses.

Coolest: She laughed.

Amazing how some people get exciting when someone knew how to sign language. :shock:

I have seen maybe 5 people sign in the last year and a half when I go out. Yes I did get excited made me feel connected in a special way.

Amazing how some people get exciting when someone knew how to sign language. :shock:

I don't get the shocked smiley. Yes there are a lot of people that can sign, but they are a very small percentage of people, so running into someone who can is exciting. I cannot sign, but I have on a few occasions run into people who spotted my hearing aids and started signing to me. They were obviously very happy to see someone they thought they could sign with, and for some reason every time it has happened I felt bad that I couldn't sign back :( They always seemed really bummed to.

I don't get the shocked smiley. Yes there are a lot of people that can sign, but they are a very small percentage of people, so running into someone who can is exciting. I cannot sign, but I have on a few occasions run into people who spotted my hearing aids and started signing to me. They were obviously very happy to see someone they thought they could sign with, and for some reason every time it has happened I felt bad that I couldn't sign back :( They always seemed really bummed to.

Does this mean you are determined to change this?

That's awesome to meet someone else that can sign. I always get excited too, I guess it depends on where you live and how prevalent the community is. Glad she didn't give you a hard time about the horses ;)

Does this mean you are determined to change this?

Determined. Not right now, no. Learning ASL is something I'd definitely would like to do, but it's not my top priority. I was delving into a bit on line but quickly discovered if i don't have someone to use it with I'm not going to really "learn" it. I could find out if they have courses at the tech or at Coastal Carolina University, but it's not something I have the time or money for. Right this moment I got a lot of other stuff on my plate to worry about. ASL doesn't seem like something you can pick up casually and my head is not in the right place to take something like that on.

Really, it's no big deal if someone knew how to sign language. I found it hilarious whenever someone gets exciting over that.

I remember running into one deaf guy that worked for some other company that helped my old job with the move and he saw me talking with my boss with notes. He came over and asked me if I’m deaf and I said yeah. Then he said “Wow! Deaf! Awesome!” I looked at him like he’s wacko and then I said, “so?”

Do hearing people met someone who know how to speak and they jump around tell the world “I just met someone who can talk!!!”? I don’t think so. It’s just a plain silly.

I had lunch with a bunch of students and teachers from my major today, and got to meet some of my new professors.

Less cool: She saw me tell someone that drunk sorority girls look like slutty baby horses.

Neat. Hope you will hang out with your professors more often. :)

You may know a lot of people who sign, but I don't, so it was a big deal for me. I have been deaf for 15 years; I know 2 deaf people. I met both of them this year. It's amazing to not feel so isolated anymore. That's why I'm excited.
Also, it means my teacher will be more understanding next semester because she understands how to communicate with deaf people (not just signing, but facing me, etc.) and she'll be willing to work with me. That's huge.

You may know a lot of people who sign, but I don't, so it was a big deal for me. I have been deaf for 15 years; I know 2 deaf people. I met both of them this year. It's amazing to not feel so isolated anymore. That's why I'm excited.
Also, it means my teacher will be more understanding next semester because she understands how to communicate with deaf people (not just signing, but facing me, etc.) and she'll be willing to work with me. That's huge.

Right, ignore others is the best tip. :lol: I m glad that you met someone who can sign that you can relax and communicate with no pressure of feeling. Oh yes, that is so huge for you. Keep sharing this with us, and ignore someone who thinks it is nothing. I d like to learn more about each of you that i never knew before that they haven't meet other deaf that much.

Right, ignore others is the best tip. :lol: I m glad that you met someone who can sign that you can relax and communicate with no pressure of feeling. Oh yes, that is so huge for you. Keep sharing this with us, and ignore someone who thinks it is nothing. I d like to learn more about each of you that i never knew before that they haven't meet other deaf that much.

Thanks! :)

My parents were terrified that if I learned sign I would never speak, so they didn't allow me to learn sign or interact with other deaf people. I happened to see someone else with hearing aids at a party when I started at my new college this semester, and we started talking. He has been teaching me sign, and I started taking some community classes. Next semester I will take the university class. I can already carry on a conversation, and I started learning in August. :)

do they look like slutty baby horses try fathom what slutty horse look like is it the shoe

Thanks! :)

My parents were terrified that if I learned sign I would never speak, so they didn't allow me to learn sign or interact with other deaf people. I happened to see someone else with hearing aids at a party when I started at my new college this semester, and we started talking. He has been teaching me sign, and I started taking some community classes. Next semester I will take the university class. I can already carry on a conversation, and I started learning in August. :)

Awesome!! I bet you enjoy this way of communicating with whose can sign very much more than you used to be since you were a kid. My hub is the same thing as you do. He rathers ASL but it happens that he can speak therefore he can speak only for his work or some outside of his work or home like parents or bank or whatever. But he prefers ASL that way he won't have to deal by reading others lips and relying on listening constantly. One time, We went to the pets mart store. I saw the kittens all over it. He wanted to adopt , and spotted the only one is red (orange tabby) but we called him the little red. So I said, " sure go ahead and talk to them." He said, " no i dont feel like, and let you handle all of it." i was like, "huh?". It was unexpectedly for me to witness him doing it to me! Needless to say that I didnt mind doing it but surprised. so I went to the lady who handles with kittnes. Of course, we communicate thru the paper and pen, and body language. Once she asked me to go ahead and pick the kitten now. My hub returned to me, and i told him, " go ahead and pick kitten now!" He ran down to the little red before the other two young gals who wanted the little red too. WHEW! That is where I learned so much about deaf oral or hoh people ( who can speak) who are willing to learn ASL so they don't have to say " what what huh what what huh " anymore.

Awesome!! I bet you enjoy this way of communicating with whose can sign very much more than you used to be since you were a kid. My hub is the same thing as you do. He rathers ASL but it happens that he can speak therefore he can speak only for his work or some outside of his work or home like parents or bank or whatever. But he prefers ASL that way he won't have to deal by reading others lips and relying on listening constantly. One time, We went to the pets mart store. I saw the kittens all over it. He wanted to adopt , and spotted the only one is red (orange tabby) but we called him the little red. So I said, " sure go ahead and talk to them." He said, " no i dont feel like, and let you handle all of it." i was like, "huh?". It was unexpectedly for me to witness him doing it to me! Needless to say that I didnt mind doing it but surprised. so I went to the lady who handles with kittnes. Of course, we communicate thru the paper and pen, and body language. Once she asked me to go ahead and pick the kitten now. My hub returned to me, and i told him, " go ahead and pick kitten now!" He ran down to the little red before the other two young gals who wanted the little red too. WHEW! That is where I learned so much about deaf oral or hoh people ( who can speak) who are willing to learn ASL so they don't have to say " what what huh what what huh " anymore.

It's SO much easier to communicate in ASL! I love not having to have people repeat themselves AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. And ASL is so fun! In my class yesterday I saw people do signed music for a presentation. I had never seen it before! I had no idea that I could enjoy music that much!

On another note, I don't know if I am deaf or hard of hearing. I have always said hard of hearing because I do have SOME hearing and I don't (didn't) sign, but have a moderate-profound loss. (My audiogram is almost a perfect 45 degree angle, starting at 40db and going down.) Does it matter?

Also, I want to see pictures of this kitten! :)

It's SO much easier to communicate in ASL! I love not having to have people repeat themselves AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. And ASL is so fun! In my class yesterday I saw people do signed music for a presentation. I had never seen it before! I had no idea that I could enjoy music that much!

On another note, I don't know if I am deaf or hard of hearing. I have always said hard of hearing because I do have SOME hearing and I don't (didn't) sign, but have a moderate-profound loss. (My audiogram is almost a perfect 45 degree angle, starting at 40db and going down.) Does it matter?

Also, I want to see pictures of this kitten! :)

It didnt matter what your hearing level or degree, it is based on your identify. I know many people who can speak, and know some ASL and can hear some yet they told them they were deaf. I know some HOH who can hear a lot more than others and speak very well yet they told them they were Deaf. Like i said, it depends on their identify.

Oh, im sorry to say that our little red who passed away last feb. He was 11 and half yrs old. My hub and I adopted him almost 12 yrs ago. :) I do not mind posting the phot of him. His name was Jude the little red. It was our second kitten, and the other kitten was first when we adopted him then two or three days later we decided to adopt one more which was Jude the little red. The other kitten who is 12 yrs old now.
babyfurboys.jpg

However we have four kitties now. :lol: one who is still alive who is 12 yrs, the other kitty is 7 yrs and the last two kitties who will be two yrs old this month and next month. :)

I'm sorry to hear that. :( She or he was a very beautiful cat! It's hood you have the new cats though!

Back