new person w/ APD

dogresidue

Reaction score
hello! I'm new here and to the Deaf community in general. APD restricts my ability to communicate verbally to the point where I feel isolated and frustrated in the hearing world. I found the Deaf community by my own curiousity and now I wish I had found it sooner.

I wish I had known ages ago that there was a whole community and culture of people that communicate through a way I can learn to completely understand and appreciate, instead of permanently being a second-class citizen in all of my conversations.

well, uh, that's my introduction? hi :)

I have a friend whose son communicates entirely in ASL due to APD. His son had a seizure at a young age that damaged the part of his brain that interpreted sound into language. He's able to hear and says that he often feels out of place with the hearing and deaf worlds. But they communicate with sign and he's gone to deaf school due to his APD. So you're not alone. There are others like you.

you can do that????
Yup. As far as learning and interacting with hearing people, he's deaf. He can't communicate through hearing and voice. So he had to learn somehow. Deaf school as the best option.

hello! I'm new here and to the Deaf community in general. APD restricts my ability to communicate verbally to the point where I feel isolated and frustrated in the hearing world. I found the Deaf community by my own curiousity and now I wish I had found it sooner.

I wish I had known ages ago that there was a whole community and culture of people that communicate through a way I can learn to completely understand and appreciate, instead of permanently being a second-class citizen in all of my conversations.

well, uh, that's my introduction? hi :)
OMG hi!! I have apd too :) and yeah the deaf community has really helped me where I am :)

Back