New parent of a deaf child.

Orlance510

Reaction score
Hello, it's now 14 years my daughter has been deaf well since birth and although I know quite a bit of sign language to communicate with her I need to be faster and find her a community where she can thrive. I am trying to find the best place to relocate for her to get the most benefit. She also has ADHD and at school which is a public ESE classroom where there's an interpreter but she needs friends willing to sign with her or better to find other deaf children teens like her. She doesn't qualify at St. Augustine due to some medical and behavior they say but if she could be with more deaf all the time her behavior and the way she feels about herself would improve so much. Please if anyone can point me in the best direction of hope for her which city or town say county should I be looking to move to in Florida I am currently in Kissimmee and horrible resources here.

Hello and welcome! I wish you luck helping your daughter make friends. It's great that you have learnt some sign language for her.

Hello, it's now 14 years my daughter has been deaf well since birth and although I know quite a bit of sign language to communicate with her I need to be faster and find her a community where she can thrive. I am trying to find the best place to relocate for her to get the most benefit. She also has ADHD and at school which is a public ESE classroom where there's an interpreter but she needs friends willing to sign with her or better to find other deaf children teens like her. She doesn't qualify at St. Augustine due to some medical and behavior they say but if she could be with more deaf all the time her behavior and the way she feels about herself would improve so much. Please if anyone can point me in the best direction of hope for her which city or town say county should I be looking to move to in Florida I am currently in Kissimmee and horrible resources here.
Welcome!!!!! Are you interested in relocating to other states? How academic is she? (ie college bound, can earn a diploma but prolly wouldn't do well in college) I think Tampa has a sizable program. Really not sure about Florida specific public school programs. But Texas School for the Deaf is excellent, so are the California Schools for the Deaf. Are you on FB? You may have more success asking your question there!

Back