New member. Please help

beckikinsella

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and also new to knowing that I have a hearing loss. I have a few questions regarding this, and I was hoping that I may get some answers here. I have been diagnosed with Otosclerosis. All my life I have known that I have had problems hearing. My hearing has got worse recently, though. I have never been taken seriously regarding this, because I am now only 21, and the doctors always just tell me to get my ears syringed, which I have done, and it's never made any difference. So I decided to take it upon myself and book a private hearing test, which I did, and it turned out I do have a significant bilateral conductive hearing loss. So, I went to the doctors with my hearing test results, only to be asked if I was sure it wasn't selective hearing!?!?!? Luckily, I managed to convince him to book me in for another hearing test at the surgery. I went back for my test results yesterday (in my signature). There were some differences between my 2 tests, which I found a bit strange, considering they were only 2 weeks apart. The main difference being at 8K Hz, I went from a 40 dB loss on 9th Oct to 60dB on the 25th of Oct. Would this be Otosclerosis causing this sudden deterioration, or could it be something else? (I have no wax). Could it be a good indication of how rapidly my hearing will deteriorate? How quickly do you think my hearing is going to deteriorate? I live in the UK and I understand that some people get hearing aids on the NHS, am I likely to get NHS hearing aids?

I just want to know what is happening to me :( I know everything there is to know about Otosclerosis, but nobody can tell me how it is going to affect me. I don't want to wait weeks or even months to find out :( I am only 21, this shouldn't be happening to me

Thanks in advance for any help
Becki

125 250 500 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
Right Ear ---- 40 30 40 40 30 10 20 30 40 60
Left Ear ---- 30 30 30 30 20 10 20 30 30 20

That's a really mild loss, and they can fix otosclerosis in the earlier stages with a titanium stapes, so if you are really as sad as all your smilies indicate, look into the surgery and you can remain as a hearing person indefinitely.

I'm sorry, I know that it's not a serious loss, compared to probably most on this board.... but to me, it is severe. It's all that has been on my mind for the last few months. I know there is an operation I can have, but I have read and heard lot of horror stories from people who have had the operation. Even when it is successful, it is normally only temporary. It's the fact that I know my hearing is just going to keep getting worse that is getting me down. I do struggle when people try to talk to me. I constantly have to ask people to repeat themselves, and as a result I am becoming more and more withdrawn.

I suppose I can't ever relate being I was born deaf. However, every time I see people and "hear" them being incredibly torn about a little hearing loss, I can't ever seem to see why. At least you're not losing something needed to survive, or even work in most cases. It's mild loss as Bott said and I don't believe the operation is a "temporary fix." Worst case scenario, you might have to get a hearingaid, and it would be just fine. Again, worst case. The operations are fairly common and not really "severe" per se.

Try and relax....there's nothing you can do about it.....except surgery.....ya learn to accept it.....and find friends that will engage you and understand....not that many.....it gets easier and ya can realize that it makes you stronger....and understanding of others.....might start learning sign if you have people around you who sign...deaf club etc.....none where I live so am outta luck....relax....hearing aid help?

I'm sorry, I know that it's not a serious loss, compared to probably most on this board.... but to me, it is severe. It's all that has been on my mind for the last few months. I know there is an operation I can have, but I have read and heard lot of horror stories from people who have had the operation. Even when it is successful, it is normally only temporary. It's the fact that I know my hearing is just going to keep getting worse that is getting me down. I do struggle when people try to talk to me. I constantly have to ask people to repeat themselves, and as a result I am becoming more and more withdrawn.

I know that having hearing loss can affect your life in a significant way. And I don't know if you believe in God or not. But I do. And I believe you should look at this in a positive way. Not that it's a good thing you are loosing your hearing I know how hard it is believe me. I have times where I temporarily loose my hearing all together. But it comes back. But God has a plan for all of us. Just try to accept it, and see what the doctors can do to help. But never be negative. I wish you the best of luck. <3

I just want to know what is happening to me :( I know everything there is to know about Otosclerosis, but nobody can tell me how it is going to affect me. I don't want to wait weeks or even months to find out :( I am only 21, this shouldn't be happening to me

No offense but hearing loss can occur at any age.

Conductive loss normally means a form of temporary hearing loss. Get the surgery and see how things go. With conductive loss...your hearing can change. At times you can change in what you are hearing that day (conductive loss mostly) because of health and so forth.

If you ever get permanent hearing loss (like I have), don't get all depressed. I've found that my hearing loss has made me into a stronger person. It takes getting used to and yes...it is hard sometimes but that doesn't mean just because I'm 20 or you being 21 that our lives are going to suck because we have hearing loss.

Personally, it has just taken me time and while I still get down every once in a while about wearing hearing aids (when I want to wear them)...I also know there is nothing I can do to change that fact that I have hearing loss.

I took my loss as an opportunity to learn more about a culture, the Deaf Culture, that I really didn't know about and to learn things to help me. I found it to be interesting. While I know I'll never belong in it (I feel that I have no right to be involved, simply because I don't truly understand many things with it), it has been nice to read/learn about something I know I'll never truly understand - even if I someday do go deaf - I've gained a lot more respect for HOH/deaf people than I otherwise would have had simply because of ignorance or lack of knowledge on hearing loss.

Now...I'm not saying you should do the same but offering my two cents.

However you control how you feel about hearing loss. If you need more information, read through these forums. There were a big help to me.

Please Mod moving to Hearing to Cochlear implant/Hearing thank

it is sound pretty, I suggest to you contact to audiolgist/ENT we cannot do that help you fix you :(

I recommand Ent/doctor/Audiologist professor advise do help to you encourage best do trust you they do would be tell you! Good Lucky for you wish! hope be!

Hi,

I am new to this forum and also new to knowing that I have a hearing loss. I have a few questions regarding this, and I was hoping that I may get some answers here. I have been diagnosed with Otosclerosis. All my life I have known that I have had problems hearing. My hearing has got worse recently, though. I have never been taken seriously regarding this, because I am now only 21, and the doctors always just tell me to get my ears syringed, which I have done, and it's never made any difference. So I decided to take it upon myself and book a private hearing test, which I did, and it turned out I do have a significant bilateral conductive hearing loss. So, I went to the doctors with my hearing test results, only to be asked if I was sure it wasn't selective hearing!?!?!? Luckily, I managed to convince him to book me in for another hearing test at the surgery. I went back for my test results yesterday (in my signature). There were some differences between my 2 tests, which I found a bit strange, considering they were only 2 weeks apart. The main difference being at 8K Hz, I went from a 40 dB loss on 9th Oct to 60dB on the 25th of Oct. Would this be Otosclerosis causing this sudden deterioration, or could it be something else? (I have no wax). Could it be a good indication of how rapidly my hearing will deteriorate? How quickly do you think my hearing is going to deteriorate? I live in the UK and I understand that some people get hearing aids on the NHS, am I likely to get NHS hearing aids?

Thanks in advance for any help
Becki

125 250 500 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
Right Ear ---- 40 30 40 40 30 10 20 30 40 60
Left Ear ---- 30 30 30 30 20 10 20 30 30 20

Do you realize that there are people here that where born deaf of hoh
and people that had lost their hearing at difference stages of their life?
when you say " this should not being happening to me" made it sound like it OK for us but not for you. I know you're young and that losing your hearing will be something you will have adjust to. But please do not come here feeling sorry for yourself . You should be doing this with people you know and your family , but I hope they'll not feel sorry for you too, this will not help you get ahead in life. You should not see yourself as a victim , people will pick up on that and you'll become a victim of people making you feeling helpless.
I am not trying to pick on you , I talking to you as person that was born HOH in 1946 and kids where labeled 'retarded' when they where deaf or hoh.
There is no needs for you see yourself as a 'victim' today. So get out there and show the world you can do anything.

Last edited:
Do you realize that there are people here that where born deaf of hoh
and people that had lost their hearing at difference stages of their life?
when you say " this should not being happening to me" made it sound like it OK for us but not for you. I know you're young and that losing your hearing will be something you will have adjust to. But please do not come here feeling sorry for yourself . You should be doing this with people you know and your family , but I hope they'll not feel sorry for you too, this will not help you get ahead in life. You should not see yourself as victim , people will pick up on that and you'll become a victim of people making you feeling helpless.
I am not trying to pick on you , I talking to you as person that was born HOH in 1946 and kids where labeled 'retarded' when they where deaf or hoh.
There is no needs for you see yourself as a 'victim' today. So get out there and show the world you can do anything.

Deaf people are the worst ones to attempt to play victim to anyways. :laugh2:

Seriously though, What made a damn good point.

Oh I wish I would have looked in here earlier! I have otosclerosis, my aunt and mother as well.

Okay first the change. That could be a simple matter of having fluid in ears from allergies at the time or, in my experience I have a lot if problems with occlusion, needing to pop my ears. They'll feel plugged, and once I've gotten them popped I can hear better, when I need to pop them it sounds like I'm in a bubble, my hearing is reduced. You have just needed to pop your ears on the second test. With otosclerosis you can have aggressive progressive loss, but I don't know about 20 db in two weeks. I experienced my most aggressive loss over a period of about 6 months to a year, right after I had my 2nd child......well okay noticeable anyway, see I lost it in the left ear first, so I have no idea how rapid that loss was since I was still hearing fine in my right, it was when the good ear started to go I could tell.......anyway during that time 6 months to a year it went from mild or no loss to severe loss.

Okay be proactive!!!! I didn't do anything about mine, mostly because I haven't had health insurance much as an adult. My mother and aunt both have had surgery and their hearing is fine. A second surgery is generally only needed if you have it done too soon, while the disease is still progressing. I never did anything about it except get hearing aids when it became necessary, I'm now deaf, profound-deep profound deaf, just about 6 months ago I discovered that I can't hear my own voice anymore when I talk without my aid in. I have 2 but rarely wear the one for my bad ear because I don't get much speech out of it. I rely mostly on lip reading, my last test my speech reception is 36% at 110 db in my good ear, 0% at 115 db in my bad, and that was over a year and half ago it's probably worse now. Okay to give you an idea time wise my loss in my left ear started at 20, in my right 25, I'm 38 now, so it's been 18 years.

Not to scare you worse, it's scarey I know. Don't worry about these guys, when you first start losing it it's frightening. When it was just my left ear I was just "meh whatever I can still hear" but when it started going in the other I used to have dreams I'd wake up one morning completely deaf overnight and have to write everything down. I still went deaf, it just took a lot longer. So be proactive!!! My story isn't actually typical though. I can't have that surgery, well I could, but I have otosclerosis and cochlear otosclerosis so I have nerve damage, not just conductive loss. I will forever wonder though if my hearing would have deteriorated to this degree if I had had interventions.

Back