New here

Momtime

Reaction score
Looking for some advice.
Our 10 year old was just diagnosed with meniere’s. We are trying the best ways to provide for him through this.
Sign?
We homeschool so we would use a resource that works best at home or something we can do as a family.

Oooo. Yes Sign! Basicly bombard your son with everything. He's got speech down pat, so you don't need to worry about that. Cued Speech may help if he has ever had issues with reading. What I would do is contact your state's School for the Deaf. Maybe he could attend for a semester so he could learn via full immersion. There may also be local dhh programs that he could attend on a once a week basis.Are you guys Christian? There ARE Christian Deaf Schools and Christian Deaf camps including a Deaf Christian family camp! There are also Deaf camps and he could attend for the summer. Look into everything. Good luck!

Oh and just wanted to say....My ex's mom was a hardcore unschooler and a ' terp. She said if her girls had been hoh, she would have done part time placement at a deaf school or a program. The issue with deaf ed, is that it is VERY specialized. You cannot " just teach yourself" like the way you can with other subjects. One of my friends was starting out with homeschooling her deaf kid and had to admit that she needed more help. You can supplement with deaf ed, deaf mentors and deaf summer camp!!!!

Along with the above suggestions, your family can begin learning ASL at:

lifeprint.com

There you will find easy to use lesson plans for you.

Rosecottage, can you post links to the Deaf camps at least? I don't have the ability to post links right now.

Oooo. Yes Sign! Basicly bombard your son with everything. He's got speech down pat, so you don't need to worry about that. Cued Speech may help if he has ever had issues with reading. What I would do is contact your state's School for the Deaf. Maybe he could attend for a semester so he could learn via full immersion. There may also be local dhh programs that he could attend on a once a week basis.Are you guys Christian? There ARE Christian Deaf Schools and Christian Deaf camps including a Deaf Christian family camp! There are also Deaf camps and he could attend for the summer. Look into everything. Good luck!
I really advocate those deaf camps. Have a friend that went and she can lipread so much better than I can. Plus they are fun and there is the chance to make life-long friendships. Very important to have a group of friends that you can relate to.

I really advocate those deaf camps. Have a friend that went and she can lipread so much better than I can. Plus they are fun and there is the chance to make life-long friendships. Very important to have a group of friends that you can relate to.
Its not about lipreading. Its about exposure to ASL and deaf culture

Hello and welcome! I agree with deafdyke about emerging in sign language to help your son. Goodluck

Rosecottage, can you post links to the Deaf camps at least? I don't have the ability to post links right now.
We would need to know your location before posting such links. However, the association for the deaf in your locale should have that information available for you.

Back