New Hearing Aids

SondheimGeek

Reaction score
Yesterday, I finally received my Phonak micro BTE Certanas! Now, I've worn hearing aids since I was in kindergarten, so I'm used to the process of getting hearing aids, and the repeat visits to readjust them.

I went to pick up my hearing aids yesterday, fully expecting my audiologist to program the there with me. She didn't do that at all. She had done so earlier in the week with the Phonak rep, based solely on my audiogram. Everything seems fine. Things are louder to me and I can hear sounds that I haven't really noticed before. I know the first time wearing new hearing aids is never going to be perfect and will require future adjustments.

I was honestly expecting to be more involved in the initial programming of my new hearing aids, and was a bit let down. I feel like I know more about my hearing aids and its functions than my audiologist does, and also wish that I could meet with the rep myself and ask questions, instead of using my audiologist as the go-between. I have these buttons on my hearing aids which are for switching between programs, but we didn't set up any, and my audi said she didn't set any up either. What's the point of the buttons then? She that the programs are automatic, and are determined by the environment I'm in at any given time?

As happy as I am to have the new hearing aids, I feel somewhat frustrated. To top it all off, I was charged $150 for the hearing aid consult (which I was aware of) and another $150 to dispense them to me (which I was NOT aware of). I just feel like I'm stuck with this audiologist, after spending $300, which covers additional visits. I just want to be more involved.

I guess I just needed to get this out somewhere where people could understand what I was going through.

-Kevin

Last edited:
You need to let your audie know how you feel. keep a journal for the next week or so and write down anything that your not happy with. She should be open to making an ajustment. My 2 cents.

adam

I agree with Adam. You should be telling your Audi that you are unhappy. I got the phonak bte versata p's about a month ago and they are great. They are VERY similar to the cartena as they are both apart of phonak's new chip line....I have the auto program as well and 3 others...My audi also programmed mine a bit b4 i got there and then went thru everything with me and adjusted anything I didn't like when i was there..i have a follow up appt next week to do any tweaking to the aids as well...did u get the mypilot too?

did u get the mypilot too?

I didn't get the mypilot, but I ordered an iCom. Hopefully that will show up by the time my 1st follow-up appointment rolls around in 2 weeks.

Thank you for the journal suggestion, Adam.

I agree with Adam as well. Let your audi know how you feel. I would have been a little upset if I didn't get to be a part of the programming and I am very glad my audi doesn't go based just upon my audiogram. He probably gets sick of seeing me but I am glad that if I have an issue I can call him and set an appointment up and we fix them asap.

But like you, at first, we didn't set up the other programs either. He wanted to make sure that we got what we wanted on the first one before we messed with the others. After a few weeks of tweeking then I went back and he showed me other features and we programmed them with 3 other "enviroments"
So that might be what your audi is doing as well. But don't be afraid to make your audi do what you want, or atleast discuss your thoughts and ideas, you pay them remember? Its something you should be happy with as these are a major part of your every day life :)

candy you were a first time user tho right? Adding other programs probably would have overwhelmed you so you started out with just the one. The OP is a longgg time ha user so adding programs for the first time shouldn't have been so overwhelming. I had a digi ha before this one and had diff programs as well so my audi said i should be ok with the diff programs being added :)

candy you were a first time user tho right? Adding other programs probably would have overwhelmed you so you started out with just the one. The OP is a longgg time ha user so adding programs for the first time shouldn't have been so overwhelming. I had a digi ha before this one and had diff programs as well so my audi said i should be ok with the diff programs being added :)

Yeah I am :) and it probably would have overwhelmed me. The one function I wish he would have gave me right away was the ability to put them to "sleep" he didnt give that to me for months and was holding out on me! lol

When I first got my ha if it was too much i'd turn it off or put it in fm mode even tho my fm was no where near..it would "mute" it ...and then i'd turn it on soon after again...on my new ha's i don't have mute..i just lower the volume if need be or turn it off..all i have to do to turn it off is pop open the batt door a bit...it has a default click that turns them off but doesnt open the door all the way..

I finally was able to get my hearing aids readjusted. I had some of the gain reduced in some frequencies, and also had the environment sensitively cranked all the way up to high to allow the hearing aids to adjust faster. I also had 2 programs put in, one to get rid of background noise and focus on voices. I also had one for music listening.

I had the ENT doc familiar with the Phonak software make the changes since the audiologist seemed totally clueless. She's nice, but I want someone that knows what they're doing. I told him what my issues were and he made the changes that will hopefully work.

Just an update for those curious. I also picked up my iCom today as well, which is pretty cool.

New to Hearing aids....

When I first got my ha if it was too much i'd turn it off or put it in fm mode even tho my fm was no where near..it would "mute" it ...and then i'd turn it on soon after again...on my new ha's i don't have mute..i just lower the volume if need be or turn it off..all i have to do to turn it off is pop open the batt door a bit...it has a default click that turns them off but doesnt open the door all the way..

Hi. I am new to HA's. I have monaural hearing due to 50% loss heriditary sensoneural in my left ear. I got a Phonak Versata CIC last thursday. It works very well, with one glitch. If the refrigerator, or air condtioner/heat pump, or the ventilation system at work is running (I work in a cube farm) I hear a "white noise" constantly (until the refrigerator, etc. stops running. I have an appt this week with my AU to have a tweaking session. Is it possible to have these very low frequencies blotted out ? thanks...

Funny you live in maryland lol I am from there as well but don't live there anymore.

This prolly has something to do with the auto program and or wind block. I find if I am near a vent and such that emits the same type of noise as wind my ha's wind block turns on i believe. I wud go to ur audi and thell them exactly what u dont like and he/she shud be able to fix it

Yesterday, I finally received my Phonak micro BTE Certanas! Now, I've worn hearing aids since I was in kindergarten, so I'm used to the process of getting hearing aids, and the repeat visits to readjust them.

I went to pick up my hearing aids yesterday, fully expecting my audiologist to program the there with me. She didn't do that at all. She had done so earlier in the week with the Phonak rep, based solely on my audiogram. Everything seems fine. Things are louder to me and I can hear sounds that I haven't really noticed before. I know the first time wearing new hearing aids is never going to be perfect and will require future adjustments.

I was honestly expecting to be more involved in the initial programming of my new hearing aids, and was a bit let down. I feel like I know more about my hearing aids and its functions than my audiologist does, and also wish that I could meet with the rep myself and ask questions, instead of using my audiologist as the go-between. I have these buttons on my hearing aids which are for switching between programs, but we didn't set up any, and my audi said she didn't set any up either. What's the point of the buttons then? She that the programs are automatic, and are determined by the environment I'm in at any given time?

As happy as I am to have the new hearing aids, I feel somewhat frustrated. To top it all off, I was charged $150 for the hearing aid consult (which I was aware of) and another $150 to dispense them to me (which I was NOT aware of). I just feel like I'm stuck with this audiologist, after spending $300, which covers additional visits. I just want to be more involved.

I guess I just needed to get this out somewhere where people could understand what I was going through.

-Kevin

What a drag , that is horrible the hearing aids were not tests with you wearing them! I would had my audiologist do the setting all over again ! You paid big buck for these hearing aids , if your insurance helped with the cost
I would let them know about this as they would paying your audiologist tofix the hearing aids . If your audiologist does not do what you want , you should fine a new one! After all you're the one that has live with the hearing aids and they should made your life more enjoyable! I would report this BBB! You paid money for a service and you're not getting what you paid for! Have you call any agency that can advocate for you?

Funny you live in maryland lol I am from there as well but don't live there anymore.

This prolly has something to do with the auto program and or wind block. I find if I am near a vent and such that emits the same type of noise as wind my ha's wind block turns on i believe. I wud go to ur audi and thell them exactly what u dont like and he/she shud be able to fix it

AliciaM,

You were right. This was due to the auto program "comfort in noise". The low freq fridge/cooling system was too low to be picked up as real noise. My Au played with the programming and she hit the "comfort in noise" program after some trial and error, and was able to almost eliminate the effect. I was using the Au office air conditioner as the test sound. The only glitch was that with the Phonak CIC Versata, there is no switch for program selection manually. My Au called the Phonak rep while I was there and hooked up, and they came up with the solution of sending the HA back to Phonak, and they will install a program switch so I can select the quiet program when I am at my desk in the cube farm (think of the movie 'Office Space' :)) and all should be good to go. My Au also mentioned that since the switch will be there, we could add additional programs if the need arises. After only 1 week of wearing my first pair of HA's, I was amazed at how my brain tuned itself to not hearing my voice like a megaphone at first, to hearing it as normal speech. Thank goodness for science ! I did not think I really needed an HA, but after seeing my Audiogram, and the good counsel of my wife, who has to constantly repeat herself :)), I have accepted.

Thanks for your feedback !

Why if you buy glasses... you can instantly see...but the H.A. takes weeks and longer to get used to! Im getting used to the Naida...but it needs programming for higher tones... Im hearing everything in lower tones. (Like I know what a tone is) Example: In my car...if I dont buckle the seat belt, the sensors let out an annoying beep beep beep. With this Naida...I know it's supposed to be beeping...but I cant hear it at all. The phone program is yuck. I cant understand the radio in the car. It is effecting my job which I am talking very loud at work and I can't understand clients on the phone. (sigh). Im getting very short tempered at people because I cant hear the way I should, or the way I did on my old phonak supero. The good thing...is that the naida is sooo tiny bte and fits very comfy.

Quick update:

I'm still finding that the settings on my Phonak Certanas aren't quite right, but I don't want to go back to the audiologist that dispensed them.

I'm calling the audiologist I went to once that I thought was awesome, but never was able to go back to again for insurance reasons. I feel like I'm still in the same situation that I was in when I had my old 6-year-old digitals with one channel.

Back