New driver, driving with hearing aids...

I drive without my HAs all the time. I have to make sure to put them in my purse at night sometimes ha ha or else I get to work and only then realize I forgot them (profound HL for the win with HAs lol) I can't talk on the phone even with them I have Sprint relay on my cell, it's text relay and pretty great. It's available for free to anyone DHH in the US.

I can't find the law date but several years after I bought a 1978 Pontiac Gran Prix I had to add a passenger side mirror. Since the car came with one on the drivers side I got two and changed that one to match the one being put on the passenger side. Without hearing problems you still don't need both as far as I can find.

Maybe in your state. In Colorado there's no laws about DHH people being any different than hearing people driving.

Do you have a captioning app on your cell phone? I use InnoCaption most of the time for just regular calls but they are all supposed to have a way to connect to 911. I have never had to make a 911 call so I don't know how well it works.
No I dont

Yeah. This topic came up in my ASL class (I grew up with signed English, which sucks but anyway) The students were amazed that it wasn't on my license/I could drive by myself whenever I wanted. Then when the topic of cops treating DHH people badly (anything from calling me and my Deaf friends liars when we were pulled over as teens to DHH men esp of color getting injured and or killed) and the hearing kids asked why we shouldn't just have being DHH put on our licenses. I don't like the idea of the discrimination that could stem from that.
J88 is just a code to notify officers that the driver is deaf. They should be trained ( although some are behind in time) to be prepared to accommodate us.

I can't find the law date but several years after I bought a 1978 Pontiac Gran Prix I had to add a passenger side mirror. Since the car came with one on the drivers side I got two and changed that one to match the one being put on the passenger side. Without hearing problems you still don't need both as far as I can find.
most new cars today come with both exterior mirrors... added safety feature... so no more discrimination...lol

Try using your hearing aids while someone else is driving. Those rod sounds are fascinating in their own right. At the same time, I hear you that you find them distracting, so going without the HAs is a better idea. i do not allow passengers to talk to me while i am driving, or if my partner does, since he cannot remember I am HH, I just ignore him.
I adjusted my valves, since I'm bionic I hear every little tick, squeak and so on, so I have to ask my friend if the lifters are ticking or not as outside it sounds like a sewing maching but inside the car it sounds like a chain in a fan to me...lol Nope, its perfect ! excellent mpg and all !

Back