new 2-way text pager

jimmyjj

Reaction score
Has anyone used this new 2-way pager called the Zipit Now? It offers unlimited text messaging for just $29.95/month and also has a web portal that you can log into and it contains a log of all messages sent and received. I found it at pagersdirect.net and looks pretty good.

Why would you buy this unit or plan? You can get unlimited text with a t-mobile plan for the same price and get the full feature of the phone and android(of course, you have to buy or be given the phone). Beyond that, you can also get an app for it. Although, I don't know if you have to subscribe for the app use.

I think a phone with an unlimited data plan would solve the problem. Unless, there is some feature of this plan that a regular phone plan doesn't have?

I haven't found a cellular plan that offered unlimited text messaging for just $29.95/month that also offered the reporting capability that the zipit now offers. Supposedly, you can login to a computer and see all the messages and whether they were received and read and what time they were read. Sending standard text messages, you never know for sure if the person read the message. Also, from the description, I think the zipit now works on the Verizon data network so the coverage should be better than t-mobile.

I haven't found a cellular plan that offered unlimited text messaging for just $29.95/month that also offered the reporting capability that the zipit now offers. Supposedly, you can login to a computer and see all the messages and whether they were received and read and what time they were read. Sending standard text messages, you never know for sure if the person read the message. Also, from the description, I think the zipit now works on the Verizon data network so the coverage should be better than t-mobile.

This is true. I'm not sure you can still log into t-mobile and see this. You used to be able to do it when sidekick was owned by Danger, but I'm not sure if you can do it now.

I was looking at the clear plan, but they don't have coverage in my area (Southern New Jersey). I just emailed pagersdirect.net. They said that they are offering $25 off for deaf customers and they also offer a 30 day refund policy. I think I'm going to try it. If I don't like, I'll return it within 30 days. I only need texting capability and $29.95 is cheaper than a full fledged smartphone that I won't be using half the features or need a 2 year contract.

Did we went on time travel? Pagers Direct's website look like 2000s.

Seriously... You can get Sprint on deaf package for $40/month on UNLIMITED text and 5GB data (web, email, mms). Plus, you can use connect to wi-fi at your home, friend's or Starbucks' free Wi-Fi.

Or you can get from TMobile's prepaid which is fair price on non-contract. It does more than Pagers Direct.

lol, no time travel here. I was just looking for specific features. Sprint and T-mobile's service is spotty at best in my area and the reporting capability is the big thing that i like. I don't need web access and I'm trying to keep my costs as low as possible. I found out the Zipit now works on wi-fi too. My alarm system sends out numeric pages when it goes off and the zipit can get pages as well as emails. For the cost, I haven't found anything that offers the same features. I guess it's not for everyone, but I went ahead and ordered it this morning. The discount code deaf513 worked too.

Yea.. I agree Verizon has better coverage than Tmobile. I remember going on roadtrip with friends from Florida to NC -- most of them had Tmobile phones and I had Verizon.. We were just laughing and realizing how dependent we'd be on each other when we noticed where our best coverages were at.

Yes few of those friends whimpered at having NO signal (Tmobile users) while I still had signal and told I guess its up to me to make the calls if the car ever broke down! :P Thankfully never happened but made me realizing being Verizon customer is worth it until see improvement with coverage map since that was few years ago! :)

------

Beside text only phone kind of reminds me of the old pager that used to be popular with Deafies Motorola T-900!! I think was one of the best long life battery compared to our smartphones these days that need to be constantly plugged in somewhere! :P LoL

I really think that's why T-Mobile and Sprint offer all of these deals that Verizon and AT&T don't offer. They know their coverage is lacking so they try to make it up with bargain deals. Bottom line, if I can't get a signal, it doesn't matter how much I'm paying, i just need to be able to use the device. Well anyway, I will report back once my Zipit now comes in. I guess if you already are using a smartphone, you probably wouldn't need a zipit but for just texting and getting my alarm notifications, it should work out fine.

My Zipit now 2way pager came in yesterday. I hooked up my alarm system to send pages to the zipit's numeric pager phone number and that works great. It also has a separate number for text messages and an email address. I tried it out with a friend and we text back and forth. It works very quickly. The feature I like most is the reporting, I can log into a website and see all of the messages, texts and all and the time they came in or were sent and the time I read them. This really helps with my alarm system. I would recommend the zipit now for anyone looking for an inexpensive text messaging device/pager that doesn't need all of the features or expense of a smartphone.

Did you know that 2 way pager still alive? Majority of them are doctors, nurse at hospital. Due to HIPPA law, they were not allowed to use smartphone and yes it is costing hospitals dearly.

Did you know that 2 way pager still alive? Majority of them are doctors, nurse at hospital. Due to HIPPA law, they were not allowed to use smartphone and yes it is costing hospitals dearly.

My relative is doctor, her hospital change from crap pager to iPad/smartphone to everybody (doctor). It been change in less year ago. She and everybody are so happy about it.

I think the zipit was originally designed for doctors, they have a smartphone app too, but I was trying to get away from using a smartphone due to the expense. I used a Motorola T900 years ago, but the service wasn't real reliable and the cost of the plan kept going up.

yes they're allowed to use smartphone but the hospital just doesn't know how to implement it properly or didn't want to bother setting it up as according to regulations because it's too much of a headache so they stick with pager.

Has anyone used this new 2-way pager called the Zipit Now? It offers unlimited text messaging for just $29.95/month and also has a web portal that you can log into and it contains a log of all messages sent and received. I found it at pagersdirect.net and looks pretty good.

what's wrong with using your smartphone to connect to your alarm system?

Let me get news, hold on. It has to do with HIPPA laws.

Here it is

Pagers cost hospitals billions - May. 7, 2013

right. that's what I said. they CAN use smartphone but lot of hospitals don't want to bother setting it up to regulation standard.

Digital communications must include some form of user identification, encryption and an automatic logoff to prevent unauthorized access to a patient's information.
that's all you need to do for smartphone.

what's wrong with using your smartphone to connect to your alarm system?

Nothing wrong with using a smartphone at all, but my alarm system (at the business that I work at and co-manage) alerts me when the doors are opened and closed as well as when the alarm is set or disengaged so I can see when my employees get to work and leave for the evening. I just need texting capability and paging capability and I don't need to spend $55/month or even $45 month for this as I am not using the phone portion. I also like the reporting capability incase there is ever a dispute over who opened up late or left early or forgot to set the alarm or disable the alarm.

This sounds like an idea device for those who only want to use text messaging.

According to the website, it looks like the main purpose of this device is for use in the workplace. This is something that would be beneficial for businesses where a deaf person is employed. Such places would be in large retail businesses like Walmart and Target as well as Sam's Club and Costco. It would also be good for warehouse jobs or factory jobs.

Back