Netflix streaming movies for PC- no CC?

UPDATE!! Netflix adds Captioning/Subtitle Option on the PS3 & Wii Starting October 18th. (still relies on the same limited number of titles - same as PC/Mac)

See Article: Netflix on PS3 goes disc-free, gets 1080p streaming and 5.1 surround sound (update) -- Engadget

All Netflix "Subtitles" work like DVD English Subtitles (bypassing the Closed Captioning chip on TVs and using its own technology to display English subtitles) With the new PS3 & Wii system upgrades (no Disk required), the option to turn subtitles on or off are on the Title Page of each title (where is shows "Start from the Beginning" "Add/Remove to Queue", etc.) On Titles with Subtitling added, there is a new button on the same line as the stars/rating/year/length called "Subtitle | Audio". Click on this to turn on Subtitles (also option to switch from spoken English to another spoken language such as Spanish, when available)

Here is a partial list of Netflix InstantWatch titles with English Subtitles (site under construction).

Thank you for that! I was just looking to email them but thought I would stop by here first. I'm happy they are at least making a step forward

tom fahy :: netflix dfxp repository

I am in the process of creating a Netflix Closed Caption Repository for the deaf and hard-of-hearing utilizing Josh Erickson's Subvert v.04 (Josh Erickson). New titles will be added regularly.

EVERY (!) streaming Netflix movie may be Closed Captioned NOW.

1.) From (tom fahy :: netflix dfxp repository), download your chosen .dfxp file.
2.) Start your streaming movie and press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M. The Netflix "Diagnostics" Menu will appear.
3.)Select "Load Custom DFXP File" and browse to the file downloaded from the above site.
4.) Your film will now be captioned. The listed titles have been synced with VobSub (Download).

I am able to post new titles only as I create them, so there exist a limited number, for now.

I recommend downloading Erickson's Subvert v0.4 in order to generate your own Netflix-compatible .dfxp files. You will require an existing .srt file for the chosen film which may be located here: Subscene - International Subtitles for Films and TV Series The .srt file will be converted into a Netflix-compatible .dfxp file.

If you have already generated and synced .dfxp files for Netflix Streaming Movies, feel free to send me a copy at tom.fahy@tomfahy.org and I will post the file to the repository.

Subvert v0.4 (Download)

Tom: THANK YOU! I just followed your instructions and set this up so I could watch Groundhog Day with captions on Netflix. It worked flawlessly. I'm grateful for your work and I'm sure many others are as well.

Back