Netflix Closed Caption ?

PowerON, if I am missing any of the titles you have, leave a comment on the site. (I just added a few more -- scroll down to the bottom).

Subtitles and captioned watch instantly movie list on netflix

FYI everyone, there is a way to view the list of Watch Instantly movies and shows that are subtitled on Netflix. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, under the Website column, click on Watch Instantly. Scroll to the bottom again, and under the Website column again, you'll see "Captions and Subtitles" Clicking on that will bring up the list of all the Watch Instantly movies that are subtitled.

They finally did it!

FYI everyone, there is a way to view the list of Watch Instantly movies and shows that are subtitled on Netflix. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, under the Website column, click on Watch Instantly. Scroll to the bottom again, and under the Website column again, you'll see "Captions and Subtitles" Clicking on that will bring up the list of all the Watch Instantly movies that are subtitled.

They finally did it!

I have just learned that Netflix fall on deaf ears again regarding closed-captioning on instant play online. It is very unfortunate that Netflix is ignorant of Deaf communication needs. For more details, click this video link (Youtube), YouTube - Broadcast Yourself
That was a month ago BUT I will check it out, anyway.

Class action lawsuit against Netflix

NATIONWIDE CLASS ACTION FILED AGAINST NETFLIX; LAWSUIT ALLEGES POPULAR MOVIE WEBSITE FAILED TO CAPTION STREAMING VIDEO LIBRARY IN VIOLATION OF STATE AND FEDERAL LAW, MISLED DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING CUSTOMERS

The prominent San Diego-based Weston Firm has filed a class action lawsuit in San Jose federal court against Los Gatos, California-based Netflix, Inc., alleging the ubiquitous provider of on-demand streaming video programming failed to adequately caption its streaming library in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and California law. The suit also alleges Netflix misled deaf and hard of hearing customers about the amount of subtitled content available and the rate at which it was adding subtitled content to its online database. The lawsuit’s lead plaintiff, Donald Cullen, is deaf, and relied on Netflix’s promises that it was working to subtitle its streaming video library.

“For too long Netflix has been promising its millions of deaf and hard of hearing members that it would caption its streaming video library, but Netflix has been dragging its feet. This lawsuit was brought to ensure that the deaf and hard of hearing have full and equal access to content most of us take for granted,” says Jack Fitzgerald, partner at the Weston Firm, which represents Mr. Cullen and the putative classes.

The lawsuit alleges that after almost two years of promising its deaf and hard of hearing members more subtitles, today only about six percent of Netflix’s streaming programming is captioned, and that Netflix’s captioning rate is “anemic.”

“Netflix initially released streaming to the public in 2008. However, none of the movies were captioned. So while the hearing world at large could enjoy this new feature, the deaf were left behind,” says Cullen, an activist in the deaf community.

Despite its failure to provide adequate closed captioning, Netflix announced last November a low-priced, streaming-only subscription option, while at the same time raising prices on all other DVD-by-mail plans. The suit charges that for the deaf and hard of hearing— for whom the streaming-only plan is effectively useless—this amounts to unfair “deaf tax.”

Gregory S. Weston, managing partner of the Weston Firm says, “We are asking the court to certify a nationwide class and enter an injunction to bring a stop to Netflix’s wrongful conduct. I urge any other consumer that has been victimized by these tactics to contact my office.”

Deaf VS Netflix: Lawsuit Now in Progress! – Random Thoughts

Here is the listing of movies with Subtitle
Netflix Stream with Subtitle Listing

It work on all: PC, Mac, Wii, PS3, XBox360. I am sure it also have on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. If anyone have found out that have one, follow up on what listing have available. Let me know. Thank!

BTW I notice "Cool World" from 2 days ago, it doesn't have Subtitle until yesterday on late evening, it turn out to have Subtitle. Is that me or is they are work on add? Awesome, if that is true!

Sam, iPhone doesn't support subtitle yet for Netflix, just tested with Up and no subtitle appear on iPhone but it works fine on PS3.

Sam, iPhone doesn't support subtitle yet for Netflix, just tested with Up and no subtitle appear on iPhone but it works fine on PS3.

Right, I had used CineXPlayer on my iPhone to watch some movies (Hereafter and Tangled) with .srt (subtitle) when transfer movie torrent to iPhone via iTunes. Subtitle with movie was very clear. I don't need to watch any Netflix movies.

Today's update of the Netflix app FINALLY allows for subtitle support for streaming movies through the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch!

Netflix adds captioning to iOS apps

I streamed a minute of the Sorcerer's Apprentice to my iPhone 4 and the subtitles displayed with easy-to-read yellow colored lettering.

I know that this true captions, but at least subtitles are a major step in the right direction for Netflix.

-joedy

Looks like it's going to happen at some point this year. When it does, I will be happy, but Netflix won't get any sort of thanks or pat on the back from me. This is looooonnng overdue, IMO and should have been in place from the very beginning.

amen... My dad recently got netflix on the Wii.. and it seems to have captioning, and it shows if it has captioning or not. I mean i'm not a huge fan of netflix because they Should have put captioning on the first thing they were even invented or launched or whatever. Isn't a television program required to have closed captioning because of law or something? not quite sure.

Netflix: Make Films Accessible for the Deaf & HOH

"After learning about the Class Action lawsuit by Don Cullon and The Weston Firm, realizing the new requirements of the "Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010", struggling with my own hearing loss, and being an avid Netflix subscriber I decided that consumer activism can affect great change in corporate policy and actions. Thus, I started the Netflix petition, with the great assistance of Change.org." Sebastian Barrett St.Troy, petition originator commented.

Already the petition has received over 800 signatures, with a goal of 2,000 we believe that many deaf and HOH are interested in improving access but are unaware of how to achieve it.

To read, support, and sign the petition, please visit Change.org's online petition page: http://www.change.org/petitions/netflix-make-films-accessible-for-the-deaf-hoh

Netflix petition Website: https://www.sites.google.com/site/petitionnetflix/home

This is completely false. I just checked 10 movies from my queue, and 8 of them said right on the main page that they have subtitles and/or CC. The other 2 simply are not subtitled/CC (checked on Amazon like you suggested).

If a DVD is subtitled or CC, Netflix DOES tell you.

Yes, we all know that streaming (Netflix Instant) doesn't have it. But the DVD pages DO TELL YOU if they have it.

It was just bugs in website, even you missed my updated post as well. :roll:

Shit happens.

Right, I had used CineXPlayer on my iPhone to watch some movies (Hereafter and Tangled) with .srt (subtitle) when transfer movie torrent to iPhone via iTunes. Subtitle with movie was very clear. I don't need to watch any Netflix movies.

CineXPlayer = BIG WINNER!!!

Thank you for suggesting me to try CineXPlayer and it is very nice app.

CineXPlayer = BIG WINNER!!!

Thank you for suggesting me to try CineXPlayer and it is very nice app.

You are welcome, Foxrac. I always watched some movies in CineXplayer on my iPad 2 while riding to fly last two week ago. Almost airlines don't support CC with movies on monitors.

I really enjoy it every time I visit this site. I’s obvious that a lot of time and effort is be put into the entire website as a whole. I glad I found this thread! I've figured out how to get subtitles on ALL Netflix streaming movies!!!! Feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through the steps.

I really enjoy it every time I visit this site. I’s obvious that a lot of time and effort is be put into the entire website as a whole. I glad I found this thread! I've figured out how to get subtitles on ALL Netflix streaming movies!!!! Feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through the steps.

Do you live out of USA? living in Australia?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1X0tazw0_4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

All,

Netflix did it again. Screwing Deaf customers again and again.

u screwed me THREE TIMES, and I am cancelling you for the final time. You just don’t listen and care about Deaf and Hard of Hearing customers.

Why? Netflix is currently battling against two lawsuits filed by National Association of the Deaf and Don Cullen representing for deaf customers. Did you know what Netflix did? They revised their Terms of Use (TOU) Agreement on September 5, 2011 by adding this new clause…

These Terms of Use provide that all disputes between you and Netflix will be resolved by BINDING ARBITRATION. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract (except for matters that may be taken to small claims court). Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury and your claims cannot be brought as a class action. Please review the Arbitration Agreement below for the details regarding your agreement to arbitrate any disputes with Netflix.

Check link about the lawsuit: NAD vs. Netflix and updates about the lawsuits here.

WTF?
Deaf World as Eye See It » Blog Archive » Netflix’s revised TOU Agreement : WTF?

Netflix & cc

For years I have checked for cc or subtitles prior to placing in queue.
Re: streaming, I called Netflix & they gave me list of bluray players that are supposed to support cc/subtitles for streaming on tv. Haven't bought one yet. We can get subtitles on our PC, IPad, Itouch etc there is a little cloud symbol.

NATIONWIDE CLASS ACTION FILED AGAINST NETFLIX; LAWSUIT ALLEGES POPULAR MOVIE WEBSITE FAILED TO CAPTION STREAMING VIDEO LIBRARY IN VIOLATION OF STATE AND FEDERAL LAW, MISLED DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING CUSTOMERS

The prominent San Diego-based Weston Firm has filed a class action lawsuit in San Jose federal court against Los Gatos, California-based Netflix, Inc., alleging the ubiquitous provider of on-demand streaming video programming failed to adequately caption its streaming library in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and California law. The suit also alleges Netflix misled deaf and hard of hearing customers about the amount of subtitled content available and the rate at which it was adding subtitled content to its online database. The lawsuit’s lead plaintiff, Donald Cullen, is deaf, and relied on Netflix’s promises that it was working to subtitle its streaming video library.

“For too long Netflix has been promising its millions of deaf and hard of hearing members that it would caption its streaming video library, but Netflix has been dragging its feet. This lawsuit was brought to ensure that the deaf and hard of hearing have full and equal access to content most of us take for granted,” says Jack Fitzgerald, partner at the Weston Firm, which represents Mr. Cullen and the putative classes.

The lawsuit alleges that after almost two years of promising its deaf and hard of hearing members more subtitles, today only about six percent of Netflix’s streaming programming is captioned, and that Netflix’s captioning rate is “anemic.”

“Netflix initially released streaming to the public in 2008. However, none of the movies were captioned. So while the hearing world at large could enjoy this new feature, the deaf were left behind,” says Cullen, an activist in the deaf community.

Despite its failure to provide adequate closed captioning, Netflix announced last November a low-priced, streaming-only subscription option, while at the same time raising prices on all other DVD-by-mail plans. The suit charges that for the deaf and hard of hearing— for whom the streaming-only plan is effectively useless—this amounts to unfair “deaf tax.”

Gregory S. Weston, managing partner of the Weston Firm says, “We are asking the court to certify a nationwide class and enter an injunction to bring a stop to Netflix’s wrongful conduct. I urge any other consumer that has been victimized by these tactics to contact my office.”

Deaf VS Netflix: Lawsuit Now in Progress! – Random Thoughts

Other links about Cullen vs Netflix:
Deaf Politics: Small victory for Netflix in Cullen v. Netflix

Netflix will likely file a motion to dismiss in the upcoming month or so.

Here are the upcoming relevant dates:
Motion to Dismiss Hearing: December 2, 2011
Class Certification Hearing Cut-Off: June 11, 2012
Discovery Cut-Off: October 1, 2012
Summary Judgment Motions: October 29, 2012
Summary Judgment Hearing: December 17, 2012
Pretrial Conference: January 7, 2013
Trial: February 19, 2013

Too long to wait for trial but the DOJ must change the ADA regulations so that Websites are required to caption. If the DOJ promulgates a new rule, any previous litigation about Web access under ADA Title III will no longer be relevant and plaintiffs like Mr. Cullen can be more successful in court.

I hope that all of links must be CC under new ADA rule.

Back