Need your help PLEASE

ap1287

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide my major track for school...Deaf Studies:Human Service and Elementary Ed and a double major in Deaf Studies. Any ideas on what kind of jobs I can get with the Human Services track. I know I can always do Deaf Ed for my masters. Any input would be great! Thanks.

Bartender. Movie stuntperson. Somewhere in between. Degrees don't necessarily relate to what you do in life. My friend has a degree in art but works in IT.

I'm surprised your academic counselor or Deaf Studies department head couldn't help you.

If you're interested in Deaf Studies, I would suggest going to Gally or NTID or CSUN. Then that way you can become fluent in ASL and learn about Deaf culture straight from the source! (and there are some oral and some late deaf folks who are REALLY into the whole Deaf thing. Tom Padden was late deaf and he's a preemenit Deaf scholar)

Deaf Education Choices

With the Human Services, you can do many things like work as an Academic Counselor or an Admissions Counselor at a university, coordinate accomodation services for various schools, etc. You might need a masters depending on which you want to go into, though.

As far as Education goes, if you get Elementary Ed/Deaf Studies, you can then get your Masters in either Deaf Education or a specific content area, like Math. Most Deaf Educators need a masters degree at this point because the expected level of quality is going up (thank goodness).

Best of luck with your decision!

There are many options for jobs with this kind of degree..just not in the engineering or science fields.

First, ask yourself, what job do YOU want and then pursue the degree that the job requires.

With the Human Services, you can do many things like work as an Academic Counselor or an Admissions Counselor at a university, coordinate accomodation services for various schools, etc. You might need a masters depending on which you want to go into, though.

As far as Education goes, if you get Elementary Ed/Deaf Studies, you can then get your Masters in either Deaf Education or a specific content area, like Math. Most Deaf Educators need a masters degree at this point because the expected level of quality is going up (thank goodness).

Best of luck with your decision!

Human Services is, at most colleges, an Associate's Degree. Even with a Bacelor's you'd have a heck of a hard time getting a job such as those you listed without years and years of experience to go with it. And then it would probably be an interim position.

A Human Services degree might get you a job as a case manager at a social services agency such as Jobs and Family Services. But remember, these are entry level, and you won't advance without a specialized degree.

Back