Need to solve debate with ASL teacher Help Please

I feel like I should be paying you for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

My teacher wasn't trying to teach us the "dislike" sign. I have been doing some studying outside of class and watched a pod cast on Iowa School for the Deaf.org. The teacher on there was giving examples of signing a negative. She showed both the throw away "like" sign or just a no head shake while signing "like" or doing it all, shaking head no while doing the throw away "like" (don't-like).

This is where Igot it into my head that I could sign "better" while shaking my head and thought this would mean the opposite, "not better"

I was thinking that you could sign "do" and shake your head and that would mean "don't do" or sign "eat" while shaking your head no and that would mean "don't eat"

I hope I'm not confusing you because I just might be confusing myself. LOL

I definitely need some deaf friends or experienced signers to work with me. :)

I feel like I should be paying you for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

My teacher wasn't trying to teach us the "dislike" sign. I have been doing some studying outside of class and watched a pod cast on Iowa School for the Deaf.org. The teacher on there was giving examples of signing a negative. She showed both the throw away "like" sign or just a no head shake while signing "like" or doing it all, shaking head no while doing the throw away "like" (don't-like).

This is where Igot it into my head that I could sign "better" while shaking my head and thought this would mean the opposite, "not better"

I was thinking that you could sign "do" and shake your head and that would mean "don't do" or sign "eat" while shaking your head no and that would mean "don't eat"

I hope I'm not confusing you because I just might be confusing myself. LOL

I definitely need some deaf friends or experienced signers to work with me. :)

No better way to learn ASL. ;)

Couldn't you use "counsel with lawyer"? That would be conceptually correct.

youtube it.

The way I did it was for a setting where two "regular people" were discussing things. Not in a "business setting"...

I am still thinking... the way I said it would stand in a business setting. Unless someone shows me otherwise, I have no idea.

Why bother? I know how I would sign it.:cool2:

I was asking the question for the benefit of the OP.

So why couldn't you make an example clip for the benefit of the OP?

If you have an alternative way to sign other than PFH's way, there's a lot of people here that would like that benefit of seeing the different forms ASL could take.

If you have an alternative way to sign other than PFH's way, there's a lot of people here that would like that benefit of seeing the different forms ASL could take.

The same reason she did not answer in the lazy thread. ;)

I posted how I would sign it. I simply said I did not need to consult youtube to be shown how to sign it. Quite frankly, I have neither the time nor the inclination to make videos and post them on youtube.

I posted how I would sign it. I simply said I did not need to consult youtube to be shown how to sign it. Quite frankly, I have neither the time nor the inclination to make videos and post them on youtube.

Yet, you have 34,000 posts here?

Just pointing that out.

In regards of your previous post - I'm basically daring you to be helpful. I guess that is not in your nature, but I expected that.

Yes, but English glossing doesn't always translate that well to sign language. And not everyone here is fluent in ASL to understand the gloss system.

Yet, you have 34,000 posts here?

Just pointing that out.

In regards of your previous post - I'm basically daring you to be helpful. I guess that is not in your nature, but I expected that.

What would you know about helpful?

I don't respond to juvenile "dares".:roll: I got that out of my system when I was in grammar school.

Yes, but English glossing doesn't always translate that well to sign language. And not everyone here is fluent in ASL to understand the gloss system.

And, not everyone here has the time to sit around making videos.:cool2:

Or you don't like doing youtube. I'm sure PFH doesn't really like it either. but he was nice enough to show his example.

Back