Need to solve debate with ASL teacher Help Please

Carriez4k

Reaction score
In my ASL 2 class yesterday I signed the phrase: Better not. For example Better not. Maybe you should get a lawyer.

I signed "better" while shaking my head no and he did not think that was correct. He said I needed to sign "better" and then "not". I think it can be done either way.

BTW, I have a hearing ASL teacher and he has a lot of gaps in what he knows about ASL and signs a lot of SEE, that is why I question him.

Thanks for your help!

Carrie Z.

The two words are clearer. Remember, this is about communication and understanding each other. It would be even better to sign something like "That's not a good idea." Or you could clearly refer to the previous statement and idea in a negative way.

I just got an unabridged ASL dictionary and it's very helpful. I recommend getting one. It's helped me a lot.

The two words are clearer. Remember, this is about communication and understanding each other. It would be even better to sign something like "That's not a good idea." Or you could clearly refer to the previous statement and idea in a negative way.

I just got an unabridged ASL dictionary and it's very helpful. I recommend getting one. It's helped me a lot.

im waiting for my youtube to process..............

I disagree with the better and shaking the head at the same time. It does not make sense.

I also disagree with using "better" and then "not".

In this youtube you can see my preference of an interpretation of the term "better not". Of course, there can be variations, but this is the best I could come up with.

Well, it seems there is a snag in Youtube processing. I'll just post and wait till it works. Maybe another 15 minutes?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWA0ay18epw]YouTube - ASL use of "Better not"[/ame]

I can't get the video to play. I'm interested in the info. Any suggestions so that I can watch it?

One of the problems that I have with ASL is that there are in some cases more than one way to sign the same thing. Proof of this can be found by visiting some of the online ASL sites and comparing the signs between them. They all claim to be ASL (not SEE) yet have different signs for the same words without any reference to context. It is frustrating.

One of the problems that I have with ASL is that there are in some cases more than one way to sign the same thing. Proof of this can be found by visiting some of the online ASL sites and comparing the signs between them. They all claim to be ASL (not SEE) yet have different signs for the same words without any reference to context. It is frustrating.

Try my Canadian dictionary. There's a few words where there's 4 or 5 signs for one word... because people sign differently in the Pacific, on the Prairies, in Ontario and in the Maritimes... At least they got the courtesy to mark the locale.

Back