Need Advice about New Hearing Aids!

Aber

Reaction score
I have a severe/profound hearing loss and I am thinking about purchasing some new hearing aids. My current ones are a little over 2 years old and are the oticon adaptos. I'm just wondering if any of you think the technology and quality of sound in the new hearing aids have improved much. If so, what do u recommend.
Thanks,
Abe

Hearing aids are... STILL hearing aids. The hearing aid I have on is over 10 years old. I've had it since 1993 and it still works well. I still hear well. The only thing I can't hear are high-pitch sounds like watch beeps. That's normal for most hearing-aid users.

I also have a severe/profound hearing loss and went through this almost a year ago. It's hard to answer your question cause there are so many if/buts to it. Being that my HAs are 6 years old and they were cutting in and out I went to see about getting new ones. I had tried the bernafon smileplus which is apparently half-analog/half digital. While there were a lot of pros to the HA there were also a lot of cons which I felt outweighed the pros. I can't list them all but one of the pros was a little bit of a clearer sound and being albe to use a directional mic in noisy places. The big con though, was that with digital technology.. the HA compresses a lot of sound and so you don't hear it quite as loud as you may be used to with analog. I didn't mind the compression after getting used to it but, what i did mind was that it completely compressed a lot of high pitch sounds -- like my phone -- and alarm system -- and i didn't want to miss those sounds. I looked around for another HA but then I got overwhelmed by all the different choices and the different types of technology and it was too confusing.. so in the end I paid the money to fix my analog and have been happy with that since. I'd still like to look into a new one at some point but I find that you need a lot of time and patience. However.. that's me. I'd say using new technology and it being helpful or not depends on the type of hearing loss you have and as well how adaptable you are.

Aber said:
I have a severe/profound hearing loss and I am thinking about purchasing some new hearing aids. My current ones are a little over 2 years old and are the oticon adaptos. I'm just wondering if any of you think the technology and quality of sound in the new hearing aids have improved much. If so, what do u recommend.
Thanks,
Abe

Shouldn't this be in the Hearing Aids/CI section?
I'm just wondering if any of you think the technology and quality of sound in the new hearing aids have improved much. If so, what do u recommend.
Well I don't think they've improved all THAT much! Hearing aids aren't computers, obsolete in a year. However, if you're talking about digital vs. analogs ( I don't know if Adaptos are analog or digital) I would still caution you to be careful. I know people who LOVE their digitals, but I know just as many who love their analog aids. A high end analog can be just as good as a digital.

Yep,
I realized that I made a mistake posting this in the wrong section after it was too late...Sorry bout that. Thanks for the informative responses! I can hear most high pitched sounds with my aids...

Back