Need a windshield

jonnyghost

Reaction score
So I emailed 3 places today. One very local with a basic website and the other two more corporate with web forms. The local place surprisingly email right back with a quote. One of the bigger places called back and left a voice mail to call them to get a quote and the third has called 7 times with no voice mail!

I would have thought it was clear when I emailed them that I wanted email back. I mean their number is right on their website lol. The local place is probably $50 more and I have to drop off my car but I think it's worth the effort. Plus I'm not sure I want idiots working on my car.

Just thought I'd share the fun.

ahh yes... the ole default calling by voice phone or "CALL ME" even when you expressly say EMAIL. I'd be going with the local one too. Sounds like it will be well worth the investment.

I always leave in the comment box to EMAILIS BEST FORM OF COMMUNICATION AS I AM DEAF ! Although I can hear, I like it in writting so not to confuse numbers from their verbal quotes. I had a place tell me to change a tire was $25 so I was like cool, I figured after it was done Id get lunch since i had $50... well the tire change didnt include the stem and some other " extras" and taxes... yeah, I was hungry later...lol

^^ I may have to start doing that more and more. Problem is it feels like if I say I'm deaf early on in the job search process I ain't never going to hear from them (just as well there's a bigger reason why I'll never get far in my search now and it ain't the deafness...). Like you I prefer the written word so as no confusion at all. VRS does work well for me but I kind of came late to it to fully embrace it just yet.

I always leave in the comment box to EMAILIS BEST FORM OF COMMUNICATION AS I AM DEAF ! A...

Yea, I put "Email please". I do say I'm HOH sometimes but that usually doesn't help either. One place kept calling me. Must have been a dozen times over 3 days. Guess they really wanted my business just not enough to email me lol.

We need a new windshield on our Jeep Commander. Today, when we were riding home from the fitness center, a rock hit the front middle of the windshield and sent pieces of glass and black plastic on me, the dashboard and the floor. It was scary when it happened. It shattered a big round spot up near the wiper sensor.

We made our appointment with Safelite.

https://www.safelite.com

They communicate by phone or email.

It's our 7th windshield for this Jeep. I'm glad that we don't have to pay for it.

That is scary. I had a chunk of steel and rubber embed in a windsheild once on the highway. Was an exauhst hanger that got picked up between the dually tires in the truck in front of me. Needless to say I had to do laundry that night!

My windsheild is origional 1996 lol. It's so pitted I don't drive it at night. I was hiding my sons birthday presents in the jeep and I hit the rear view. It's glued to the windshield and it cracked it right down the middle.

Wow must have been a big rock? My dad had a plate of steel fly off a scrap truck on the highway, he swerved but it still hit the car, cut it open like a beer can from front fender to rear quarter, if he didnt it would have come through the windshield and who knows what that outcome would have been. Imagine Bikers??? wow, Ive had my share of pebbles lol.

We have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 4 door and we have had to replace the windshield twice already. I think Jeep windshields tend to break more easily than others because there's no curvature to it and its set almost straight up and down vs more angular windshields on others....

We have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 4 door and we have had to replace the windshield twice already. I think Jeep windshields tend to break more easily than others because there's no curvature to it and its set almost straight up and down vs more angular windshields on others....
you may be right, I had a Samurai and they also have the flat windshield thats practically straight up and down, no room for deflection.

Got new windshield and it rained the next day. Water poured in. 1/4" water on passenger side floor. Brought it back and the "fixed" it. Little drizzle today and I see water dripping out from behind the dash on the floor.

This is why I try to do all my own work. I've installed 4 or 5 windshields on my cars and none of them had leaked. How hard is it to clean two surfaces and apply an even bead!

Sorry, rant over.

Got new windshield and it rained the next day. Water poured in. 1/4" water on passenger side floor. Brought it back and the "fixed" it. Little drizzle today and I see water dripping out from behind the dash on the floor.

This is why I try to do all my own work. I've installed 4 or 5 windshields on my cars and none of them had leaked. How hard is it to clean two surfaces and apply an even bead!

Sorry, rant over.
They didn't use enough sealant or did they not clean the old off very well. I would make them remove, clean and dry the carpeting and pad otherwise you are going to have one Rank smelling car this summer.

No doubt. Lucky for me (and them lol) I pulled the carpet years ago. To much clay mud from hunting and hiking to have carpets. I popped the drain plugs until they get it fixed. I'll give them one more shot but if they can't make it work on the third time I'm going to ask them to pay for another shop to fix it.

No doubt. Lucky for me (and them lol) I pulled the carpet years ago. To much clay mud from hunting and hiking to have carpets. I popped the drain plugs until they get it fixed. I'll give them one more shot but if they can't make it work on the third time I'm going to ask them to pay for another shop to fix it.

Good Ole Tort

Well, our new windshield didn't last long. :(

We've got a crack in our new windshield! This time, we don't know when or where it happened. It's about 8 in. long, in the lower driver side, running from the dashboard area upward.

I hope the insurance company doesn't give us any grief about getting it replaced so soon.

Now we need another new windshield! I think that makes five on one vehicle in one year. :shock:

The irony of this one is that we changed our normal driving route in order to avoid the road where the other cracks had occurred. Still, one piece of gravel found us. :(

It's not a good thing when the receptionist at the glass repair place says, "Hi! I remember you."

Now we need another new windshield! I think that makes five on one vehicle in one year. :shock:

The irony of this one is that we changed our normal driving route in order to avoid the road where the other cracks had occurred. Still, one piece of gravel found us. :(

It's not a good thing when the receptionist at the glass repair place says, "Hi! I remember you."
What make and model is the car? Some are known to have problems with windshields. For instance early 2000's Chevy pickups have problems with the lower portion of the windshield developing a crack running the entire width of the window.

My stepmother's Mazda had her windshield replaced in July when it had a crack from the stone or gravel. The Safelite Auto Glass came to their house to do the replacement. At the same time, my dad's Wrangler had his windshield replaced when it had a crack.

Some of the windshield doesn't seem to be that strong like it used to be. Once a gravel or stone hits the windshield.. becomes a chip, then grew to a crack soon after. The old Explorer I had still has chips in a couple of places over the years, so far no cracks.

Back