need a text-to-speech app for cell phone.

Georgewes

I have a hard time hearing a conversation in a coffee shop and such places. There are a lot of apps out there that translate speech to text but none that I tried worked unless the people were almost talking right into the cell phone. Any app that will pick up distant speech?

Jane B.

You might want to see if Alex will help with changing your title or start a new thread. By saying
as your title that title is asking for the opposite of what you describe as what you need.

I am trying out Googles new Live Transcribe. It does still make errors but seems better than earlier apps.

zephren

I have only used Live Transcribe once but I found it to be the most accurate and real-time of all that I have tried so far. I used it in a noisy restaurant during a busy Saturday lunch crowd. It worked well in my group of third other people.

Live Transcribe works well but it's not available for iPhones yet.

I've been using Otter, https://otter.ai

Although this one does not translate automatically, it's good for offline translations because the transcription quality is really good.

I like Otter because it's free (up to 600 minutes), and cheap (if you need more time).

- Continuous
- No one-minute limit
- Worked in classrooms
- Worked with lectures
- Worked with loudspeakers (e.g. auditoriums)
- Worked in a noisy mall (if mic is closer to speaker)
- Worked in a crowded business meeting room
- Can transcribe 10 voices simultaneously in a 10-person meeting if only one person speaks at a time.
- It keeps a recording of the audio

I find it is almost as good as a $100/hour human transcriber now. Just get a Blue Yeti microphone, connect it to your laptop, put microphone in the middle of the meeting room, and it realtime transcribes everybody continuously for two hours nonstop! At least the subject matter is common (not too many unusual tech terms such as computer programming).

Cloud AI has dramatically improved voice recognition to the point where I can finally now do "group conversations in noisy places"!!!

Last edited:

Nita Thomas

I have a hard time hearing a conversation in a coffee shop and such places. There are a lot of apps out there that translate speech to text but none that I tried worked unless the people were almost talking right into the cell phone. Any app that will pick up distant speech?
You might want to see if Alex will help with changing your title or start a new thread. By saying
as your title that title is asking for the opposite of what you describe as what you need.

I am trying out Googles new Live Transcribe. It does still make errors but seems better than earlier apps.
In Michigan There is an organization that provides free texting for HoH and Deaf for landline phones, but they are still working on it for cell phones. You could check with the HoH and Deaf services in your area for recommendations for you needs.