need a sign for "soul"

finnianpaul

Reaction score
hi :) i have an interpreting question for anyone who knows asl. i know the sign for "spirit" and for "body", but i need a seperate sign for "soul". i have not been able to find one. i wonder if a sign needs to be invented! i know that "soul" and "spirit" are signed the same in asl. BUT, they are two completely different concepts. the spirit is housed in the body, and the soul is simply the interface btwn the soul and body - the border @ which the spirit and body touch. (u can think of it as how oil meets water; the 2 touch but never mix.) so, what would be a good sign to show what the soul is? i don't feel it's appropriate to use the sign for "border" or some synonym because that's too generic. the soul houses our will, our thought-life, and our emotions. so, it's certainly more than a border! does anyone have any idea of what kind of sign i could make that would signify what the soul is as well as the fact that it is the place @ which the body and spirit touch? whoever tries to come up with something, i take my hat off to you!
thanks in advance for your help :D

But they are synonymous , and you will just need to describe your feeling of how they are different.

bottesini, do you mean to make the same sign as i would for "spirit" but sign it w/a different feeling/emphasis?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Where are you getting your two definitions?

In most religions "soul" an "spirit" are essentially the same concept, just used in slightly different context.

If this is your personal belief, AND you are not acting as an interpreter in that situation, then you'd be best to fingerspell "SOUL" or "SPIRIT" then explain how you personally believe they are difference.

If you are interpreting a comparative religions, theology or seminary class, then you need to get explicit clarification on the definition/meanings of both words from the prof teaching the course(s) and the student - then come to a consensus on how to differentiation between the two.

Go to ASLpro.com, Main Dictionary, the letter S. Scroll down to Soul-2. That's the common sign for soul. (Bent B-hand, fingertips to the heart.)

Don't make up a sign.

Where are you getting your two definitions?

In most religions "soul" an "spirit" are essentially the same concept, just used in slightly different context....
Not all.

I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, a lockable offense, so I hope that won't happen.

You are familiar with the phrase, "body, soul, and spirit?" Obviously, those are three different "parts" or else they wouldn't be listed that way.

Without getting deep, the most basic way to put it, is, the soul and spirit each have distinct functions, just as the body has distinct functions. One cannot be substituted for the other.

...If you are interpreting a comparative religions, theology or seminary class, then you need to get explicit clarification on the definition/meanings of both words from the prof teaching the course(s) and the student - then come to a consensus on how to differentiation between the two.
I always let the instructor, preacher, lecturer, etc., explain their own definitions, and then pick the appropriate sign to match the concept. I'm the terp, not the teacher.

thanks for all your help, guys. u all gave thoughtful advice, and i now know the sign for "soul" :) yay!

Back