Need a little help here.

Wolfboy

Reaction score
Yo, you guys probably dont remember me but I need a some help buying a new laptop. I know this isnt the right place but more member comes here so I need a fast anwser. My brother is a Sgt. in the marine corps and is station in Iraq. He just called me a while ago and man its good to hear his voice. He ask me to buy him a laptop so he can see some movies or do whatever he wants. So I need to know what brand is best and reliable.

Google and search for laptop reviews to see what's the best. I don't know if he's a PC or Mac guy.

I don't know but I think you will get your answer here on AllDeaf from those guys

Also you can ask over at the U.S. Marine Corps forums too :

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/

I hope your brother stays safe on active duty.

Semper Fi !!!!! God Bless !!!!! :angel:

sequoias said:
Google and search for laptop reviews to see what's the best. I don't know if he's a PC or Mac guy.

I did that but I want to hear from you guys. Im guessing he is pc guy since he uses my pc a couple times.

Wolfboy said:
Yo, you guys probably dont remember me but I need a some help buying a new laptop. I know this isnt the right place but more member comes here so I need a fast anwser. My brother is a Sgt. in the marine corps and is station in Iraq. He just called me a while ago and man its good to hear his voice. He ask me to buy him a laptop so he can see some movies or do whatever he wants. So I need to know what brand is best and reliable.
Hi, threre. Well the thread should belong in Computer, ISP, and Programming forum, but I can help you out in here.

It depends on whether you're in budget or not, but for general purpose computing, I recommend you go with a laptop for less than $1000, if your brother are not going to play games.

For a laptop less than $1000, you can get an Aspire 5003WLCi Notebook, Gateway Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-32, or Gateway Notebook with AMD Sempron™ Processor 3300+. Those notebooks are similar in features and you should take a look at those. For spending a little more, you could get a laptop with 1GB of RAM and Windows Media Center 2005 for $1000. It's a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Media Center Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-34

Please note that Sempron is a low-powered version of Athlon/Turion, and Sempron processors aren't 64-bit processors. So if your brother doesn't plan to upgrade to a new operating system like Windows Vista, planned to be shipped during Junurary, then you should go with Sempron. One more note: A laptop with an ATI Radeon Express 200M can allow you to play games that have launched like a couple of generations behind, like around 2002/2003, so if your brother doesn't care about playing latest-generation games, he should be fine.

I'm trying not to complicate things to you but I hope you can understand what I'm saying. I'm a computer geek, though... :P

GraysonPeddie said:
Hi, threre. Well the thread should belong in Computer, ISP, and Programming forum, but I can help you out in here.

It depends on whether you're in budget or not, but for general purpose computing, I recommend you go with a laptop for less than $1000, if your brother are not going to play games.

For a laptop less than $1000, you can get an Aspire 5003WLCi Notebook, Gateway Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-32, or Gateway Notebook with AMD Sempron™ Processor 3300+. Those notebooks are similar in features and you should take a look at those. For spending a little more, you could get a laptop with 1GB of RAM and Windows Media Center 2005 for $1000. It's a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Media Center Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-34

Please note that Sempron is a low-powered version of Athlon/Turion, and Sempron processors aren't 64-bit processors. So if your brother doesn't plan to upgrade to a new operating system like Windows Vista, planned to be shipped during Junurary, then you should go with Sempron. One more note: A laptop with an ATI Radeon Express 200M can allow you to play games that have launched like a couple of generations behind, like around 2002/2003, so if your brother doesn't care about playing latest-generation games, he should be fine.

I'm trying not to complicate things to you but I hope you can understand what I'm saying. I'm a computer geek, though... :P

My brother told me that he dont care much of the price. He is not much into games. Tho Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Media Center Notebook looks good for him. Thanks for the recommendations. :thumb:

Wolfboy said:
Hi there, I do remember you. WB! ;) Sorry for being offtopic here.

Wolfboy said:
My brother told me that he dont care much of the price. He is not much into games. Tho Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Media Center Notebook looks good for him. Thanks for the recommendations. :thumb:
Windows Media Center is a good one. If you have an HDTV tuner plugged into a laptop such as Fusion HDTV5 USB Gold, you brother can point to TV and begin watching TV with a widescreen laptop! :) If your brother lives in a dorm or in an apartment, I'd recommend Winegard Sharpshooter for good OTA (over-the-air) HDTV reception. You can probably find it cheaper in eBay, so you might want to check in there.

Back