Nc Deaf Man Shot While Trying To Asl

American police aren't trained to "shoot to kill." They are trained to shoot to stop the threat. The most reliable way to stop a deadly threat is to shoot at the body mass, which sometimes results in death.

Of course, it's preferable to deescalate the situation and use better judgment when in a confrontation to avoid shooting at all.

They aren't trained to shoot to kill per se, but by aiming at the center mass the end result is many so called threats ending up in body bags and very few on a gurney going to the hospital. Also how often does a cop stop shooting after one shot? When you are shot six or more times in the center mass, the end result is usually death.

I knew someone that took a gun safety class at her police station in Pa. and the woman told me that the police said they were trained to shoot to kill if they felt their life was in danger . She said if a suspect had a gun shooting him in leg meant he would still able to try and use their gun . I am not sure if my friend heard this the way she wanted to or if it was true.

Maybe there should be something on license plates to let police know the driver is deaf or hoh so the police will know they have to follow a certain protocol . I guess deaf and hoh drivers really need to pull over and have some visual sticker saying they're deaf or hoh . Aren't police trained to take inconsideration a driver may be deaf or speak any other language instead of shooting then ask questions?

My driver's license says that I'm HoH. I feel like if they run my license it should come up, but IDK. It should come up with the plates are run, but it's flawed because that means that the officer has to run the license. Even with a sticker that would mean that the officer has bright lighting and knows what the sticker means.

American police aren't trained to "shoot to kill." They are trained to shoot to stop the threat. The most reliable way to stop a deadly threat is to shoot at the body mass, which sometimes results in death.

Of course, it's preferable to deescalate the situation and use better judgment when in a confrontation to avoid shooting at all.

I do think they are trained to shoot to kill. There are so many dead people that were unarmed that makes me think differently.

Deescalating the situation is something that is done if you aren't seen as a threat even if you just killed people.

My driver's license says that I'm HoH. I feel like if they run my license it should come up, but IDK. It should come up with the plates are run, but it's flawed because that means that the officer has to run the license. Even with a sticker that would mean that the officer has bright lighting and knows what the sticker means.
That is interesting mine doesn't say I am HOH , I am more concerned with people being too old to drive, nothing is being done about this and people are going deaf drivers who are on the whole safe drivers. I never heard of a deaf having a horrible accident on the news but I do heard about an older driver mistaking the gas pedal for the brakes and crashing into a building . One deaf person speed and people say we shouldn't drive! Nuts !

I knew someone that took a gun safety class at her police station in Pa. and the woman told me that the police said they were trained to shoot to kill if they felt their life was in danger . She said if a suspect had a gun shooting him in leg meant he would still able to try and use their gun . I am not sure if my friend heard this the way she wanted to or if it was true.
They (and self-defense) shooters are taught to accept the mindset that shooting someone to stop a threat can result in death. One must accept that possibility or else not carry a gun for self protection. It doesn't mean that a person wants to shoot someone to death. It means that a person shouldn't shoot unless they're willing to kill. If someone feels, "Oh, I could never kill someone," then they shouldn't carry a gun.

It's true that shooting someone in the leg doesn't necessarily stop the threat. The person is wounded in the leg, not the shooting hand. Shooting a leg might slow someone down but that doesn't stop the threat.

They (and self-defense) shooters are taught to accept the mindset that shooting someone to stop a threat can result in death. One must accept that possibility or else not carry a gun for self protection. It doesn't mean that a person wants to shoot someone to death. It means that a person shouldn't shoot unless they're willing to kill. If someone feels, "Oh, I could never kill someone," then they shouldn't carry a gun.

It's true that shooting someone in the leg doesn't necessarily stop the threat. The person is wounded in the leg, not the shooting hand. Shooting a leg might slow someone down but that doesn't stop the threat.
This made perfect sense about shooting someone in the leg , what if a person is unarmed and shot in in the leg , it seem that should be enough to stop them .

This made perfect sense about shooting someone in the leg , what if a person is unarmed and shot in in the leg , it seem that should be enough to stop them .

You never know if they are armed or unarmed.

But they don't run your license until you've already been pulled over and have given it to them. Simple enough to just tell them at that point, hell its the first thing outta my mouth. It's not they can run that while they're driving down the road and you haven't even given it to them yet..... I doubt they run your license plates until after they've pulled you either. But yes a sticker on your tag could work. They're are license plate lights on your car. Something they could see before they even approach they even talk to you would be good.

I'm not worried about other people seeing it. I don't think it makes me a target anymore than just being a woman does. Most people wouldn't even know what it meant anyway if they did like in Japan and was a just butterfly or something just as innocuous.

They aren't trained to shoot to kill per se, but by aiming at the center mass the end result is many so called threats ending up in body bags and very few on a gurney going to the hospital. Also how often does a cop stop shooting after one shot? When you are shot six or more times in the center mass, the end result is usually death.
Usually an initial self-defense shot is a double tap (two quick shots in succession).

Usually an initial self-defense shot is a double tap (two quick shots in succession).

Unfortunately, most cops involved in a shooting empty their gun before they stop shooting. I once asked a cop about this and his response was " you don't know what it's like when the adrenalin starts flowing" my answer to him was I thought you were a "trained professional." As to the victim in this thread, if the officer involved could not figure out that the man was unarmed and not a threat since he was moving his hands, than perhaps he needs to find work in another profession where he can't kill someone and then say "Oops I made a mistake, sorry" and go on with his life like nothing happened! Perhaps if cops were actually held accountable for their actions they wouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger.

Unfortunately, most cops involved in a shooting empty their gun before they stop shooting. I once asked a cop about this and his response was " you don't know what it's like when the adrenalin starts flowing" my answer to him was I thought you were a "trained professional." As to the victim in this thread, if the officer involved could not figure out that the man was unarmed and not a threat since he was moving his hands, than perhaps he needs to find work in another profession where he can't kill someone and then say "Oops I made a mistake, sorry" and go on with his life like nothing happened! Perhaps if cops were actually held accountable for their actions they wouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger.

I wonder if they would care more if they had pay victims instead of the city. If they had to take out insurance like doctors ... the fact that there is no punishment and the tax payers pay victims are two of the reasons why it doesn't seem to be taken seriously by cops.

It was not first time that the cops shot deaf people.

It's an unacceptable what the cops did.

I see no excuse for that.

I wonder if they would care more if they had pay victims instead of the city. If they had to take out insurance like doctors ... the fact that there is no punishment and the tax payers pay victims are two of the reasons why it doesn't seem to be taken seriously by cops.
They do take out liability insurance, usually thru their police union dues. In addition, their municipality usually has some kind of police department insurance.

Unfortunately, most cops involved in a shooting empty their gun before they stop shooting....
"Most?" Do you have official figures to prove that? Please link your references.

"Most?" Do you have official figures to prove that? Please link your references.
Do you have any proving otherwise? Other than what I've read and seen on the news, no I don't, but of those I've seen and read about I can't remember where there was only one or two shots fired by a police officer. Sadly, in the US you had depending on the source a little under 1,200 in one report and 986 police killings in 2015, and of those shootings over 20% of the victims were unarmed which is the most troubling part of the reports, perhaps the worst of the bunch was the killing of orchard worker Antonio Zambrano-Montes, whose only crime was throwing rocks and was shot 17 TIMES by Pasco, WA police, many of the shots were fired as he ran away. I have not been able to find any source listing the number of people shot by police who survived. The only one that I have seen recently is the black social worker who was shot in the leg by the police officer who was supposedly shooting at the autistic patient playing with the toy truck and when asked by the social worker why he shot him the officer said "he didn't know!" As I said before, if there were serious consequences to police officers shooting and killing people such as loosing their job, going to prison for manslaughter, paying restitution to their victims families for the rest of their life, etc. perhaps these so called peace officers would think first before reacting to a perceived threat. Also taking the investigation of these shootings out of the police departments shooting boards and putting them in the hands of shooting boards that have no ties to the police department might get some of these trigger happy officers off the street and in another line of work or in prison where some of them probably belong.
https://thinkprogress.org/heres-how-many-people-police-killed-in-2015...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...police-shot...killed...people..
https://www.rt.com/usa/327740-killed-by-us-police/
RT

Do you have any proving otherwise?
When you make a statement it's up to YOU to prove it. Otherwise, we can just ignore what you post as being made up.

Other than what I've read and seen on the news, no I don't, but of those I've seen and read about I can't remember where there was only one or two shots fired by a police officer.
You've checked on each and every police shooting? Or just the ones that made the news. Did it ever occur to you that the firings that included only one or two shots weren't newsworthy and that's why you didn't see them?

Sadly, in the US you had depending on the source a little under 1,200 in one report and 986 police killings in 2015, and of those shootings over 20% of the victims were unarmed which is the most troubling part of the reports, perhaps the worst of the bunch was the killing of orchard worker Antonio Zambrano-Montes, whose only crime was throwing rocks and was shot 17 TIMES by Pasco, WA police, many of the shots were fired as he ran away.
Of course there are some bad shootings that end in needless tragedy. That doesn't equate to "most" unless you have statistics. That equates to "newsworthy."

I have not been able to find any source listing the number of people shot by police who survived. The only one that I have seen recently is the black social worker who was shot in the leg by the police officer who was supposedly shooting at the autistic patient playing with the toy truck and when asked by the social worker why he shot him the officer said "he didn't know!"
Again, not a statistic but an excuse for you to repost another bad example.

As I said before, if there were serious consequences to police officers shooting and killing people such as loosing their job, going to prison for manslaughter, paying restitution to their victims families for the rest of their life, etc. perhaps these so called peace officers would think first before reacting to a perceived threat. Also taking the investigation of these shootings out of the police departments shooting boards and putting them in the hands of shooting boards that have no ties to the police department might get some of these trigger happy officers off the street and in another line of work or in prison where some of them probably belong.
Again, off-topic.

https://thinkprogress.org/heres-how-many-people-police-killed-in-2015...
I got a 404 message.
Sorry, but nothing exists here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...police-shot...killed...people..
That story wasn't on that page.

https://www.rt.com/usa/327740-killed-by-us-police/
RT
Sigh . . . please learn how to link the exact story. I can't read any of your links.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-deaf-are-the-unheard-victims-of-police-brutality-until-now

I just found this article about the shooting . It tell of other deaf people that were killed by police all b/c the police didn't know the person was deaf . :(
Yes, this is a serious problem.

Even if the police are taught how to interact with deaf people, the other problem is how to identify that someone is deaf immediately. I'm not sure the bumper sticker idea in the linked story would work. For one, how does the police officer know that it's true about the person he's interacting with? Two, what if it's an event where the deaf person isn't in his/her car? Three, it might not be a good idea for the whole world to know that the drive is unarmed and vulnerable.

It seems like more and more I am reading of the cop going immediately to their gun. Wasn't the Taser supposed to cut down on deaths by immoblising (sp) rather than killing?

Back