Name sign?

Orrismom

Reaction score
How did you guys pick a sign name for your little ones? My 2 yr old can hardly speak, let alone say his name, so he puts an O to his cheek. I hope this doesn't mean something offensive or silly.

Our daughter was given her name sign at her school (Florida School for the Deaf and Blind) by one of her teachers. From what I understand it is best to let a deaf person give you a name sign because they know the language better and would know if the sign means anything offensive. Although, I do just use an "a" (just like you use it when spelling, not near any body part or anything) when talking about her older sister because she doesn't have a name sign (I am sure this will change over time, but it works for now with our youngest). Maybe someone else will weigh in and let you know if that sign means anything else (if not, I am sure it would be fine as a name sign), I am just learning sign myself so wouldn't know if it meant anything.

My granddaughter picked her own. Her name is Penelope but her parents call her Pumpkin. I did P for a smile as she is happy always. She taps her hands. She wins. She is only 9 months old, so it's very cute.

My granddaughter picked her own. Her name is Penelope but her parents call her Pumpkin. I did P for a smile as she is happy always. She taps her hands. She wins. She is only 9 months old, so it's very cute.
She's only 9 months old and she knows the alphabet? :jaw:

My son was given a name sign when he entered his Deaf/Hard of Hearing preschool. His is the "N" handshape shaken near his eyes.

I was told only a Deaf can give you a name sign by my instructor.

careful

How did you guys pick a sign name for your little ones? My 2 yr old can hardly speak, let alone say his name, so he puts an O to his cheek. I hope this doesn't mean something offensive or silly.

Hi :)

Just becareful with using the O near the mouth b/c it could look like something "oral" if you know what I'm trying to say.

Try to do a movement that's not like obvious... maybe have the O on the side of his forehead/top of the head? did you know that more and more children don't use the alphabets for their sign names? they use hand shapes...

Back