Name of city/state in sign

I have a book Signs Everywhere by Nancy Kelly-Jones and Harley Hamilton that is a collection of name signs for towns, cities, states, and provinces in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. It was published in 1981 by Modern Signs Press, Los Alamitos, CA.

The signs from where I live in New York:

Hudson Falls: spell H-F
Glens Falls: spell G-F
Fort Edward: spell F-E
Lake George: spell L-G
Kingsbury: sign king with the K changing to a Y
Queensbury: sign queen with the Q changing to a Y
Warrensburg: have one palm face up and tap W on it a few times
Saratoga: sign race with the letter S
Albany: letter A in a 7, which I see at home, or sign government with A, which I saw once at RIT

Rochester area:

Rochester: letter R in a 7, I had a roommate from Virginia who used the same sign for Richmond
Irondequoit: sign for idiot repeated a few times
Toronto: sign breasts, I've never figured out why they sign it like that, anyone know?

New York city: same as the state, but spell NYC if confusion avoidal is desired

States

Florida: I've seen the F moved down cheek and spelling FLA, I've also seen holding out an arm and moving a F from wrist to elbrow because of the Florida peninsula
Massachusetts: I've seen spelling MASS and signing with the letter M changing to S while sliding over the chin

Countries

Egypt: letter X in middle of forehead, from the cobras on ancient Egyptian masks and statures
Russia: sign dry then move down to make a big 7
Italy: use letter I to make little cross in middle of forehead
India: press middle of forehead with letter A and twist a bit
Malaysia: hands are open besides the head with palms facing the cheeks, move hands up and down alternately a few times, I learned this from a roommate. We both knew someone from Malaysia and I saw him use the sign himself.
China: point to Mao coat buttons on body in a big 7. Is there any other sign widely used? Mao is long since dead. My mom showed me the index finger on letter G sign, which was mentioned in this thread. I showed it to somebody from China, but he didn't know it because he didn't learn sign at home. He was happy to see the sign.
Canada: letter A near shoulder and pull a few time as if pulling on shirt
Mexico: make 1/2 of a moschute curving up. Is there any newer sign?
Korea: sign head, but backwards from ear level to top
Vietnam: use index finger and thumb to make a V beard on chin, or was it an upside down V starting from the upper lip?
Thailand: like Greece or Rome, but with index finger sliding down nose instead of tracing out a big nose
Afghanistan: bent hand shape moved in circles a few times near the side of the forehead. I saw this only once.
Norway: N moved in circles by side of forehead
Denmark: like Norway, but with D
Sweden: like pet, but like lifting a fold upwards or petting a mountain peak
England: hands are facing down and one is holding the other like 2 people on a walk hold hands, pull the hands toward body
Germany: both hands go from fist to 5, with palms facing sidewards and one hand on top of other
Israel:letter I slid down chin a few times

Antarctica: a palm faces down and letter A with thumb pointing up at palm is moved in circles

I live in vancouver island. A "V" moving to the right and the sign for "island" my city is Nanaimo which is the letter "U" taping on the stop of an "S", I dont know why...hehe

Ha!

We have a sign name for Garden Grove, a city in Orange County California, that highights the trashy image.

Use the "G" letter under the arm while making the trash sign.

Make the 'snuck up' sign using the letter "I" to make the sign for the City of Irvine as theyre a bunch of rich snuckups.

Richard

Madison, WI we use the sign for "government". Many nearby cities use the initial moving like a 7, common in so many places.
Appleton is just the sign "apple"
Oshkosh is an O that bounces up and down.
Green Bay is either GB or sign green then spell BAY.
Milwaukee is like the sign for "lie" but with index finger only, not whole hand
Some of the other two-word cities I have seen folks jus do the initials, but that was generally when everyone knew the context. SP for Sun Prairie, for example.

In SC:

Charleston is a back-and-forth C.

Columbia is like the sign for COTTON. (Our state capital, and the only city not initialized.)

Spartanburg is a back-and-forth S.

Greenville is a circular G.

Florence is a back-and-forth F.

Anderson is a back-and-forth A.

Goose Creek is GC, Hilton Head is HH or H HEAD, Mount Pleasant is MP, Georgetown is GT, Moncks Corner is MC, Myrtle Beach is MB.

Summerville is S to V across the forehead, like SUMMER.

If anyone is interested in helping with this stupid song, this is what I'm learning.........It's supposed to rhyme and it's pretty lame. I think I've found most of what I need here, so thanx again, but if you have any suggestions let me know!
I suggest putting in the apostrophes where they belong. Otherwise, it looks like many of the cities' names end in s, like Frankfurts. :lol:

...and did you know that the Hawkeye state is Ohio?
Capital is Columbia
That would be Columbus, not Columbia.

...Lets go to South Carolina
Well visit the capital Colombia...
The capital of South Carolina is Columbia, not Colombia.

We are South Carolina, not South America. :lol:

I suggest putting in the apostrophes where they belong. Otherwise, it looks like many of the cities' names end in s, like Frankfurts. :lol:

Not to mention it's spelled Frankfort. :P

My cities' names are as follows:

Indianapolis: draw a 7 in the air with an I

Franklin: My teacher here in Muncie says to fingerspell it, my teacher in Franklin did an F by the forehead.

Greenwood: I've seen GREEN+WOOD and GREEN fs-WOOD. Most of the time I just fingerspell the entire word.

Back