Naida H.A.

chuck2975

Reaction score
Im going to get a Naida (Phonak) h.a. It comes in next week. I'd like to know exactly how water resistant it really is. Im told I can get caught in the rain...but not take a shower. I can sweat but not go swimming. Has anyone had any luck with this brand? My old phonak broke down after only 3 years. Im on a back up analog h.a. yuck ! It is horrible! Good thing I can lip read and have CC on my tv... but its rough at the office.

Of course the BVR (Vocational Rehab) in Ohio is really bad. Just about useless and wont help pay for it... Im going to have to work 2 jobs to pay for this thing.

Mine is water resistant too i have the versata i have my hair down so rain is fine..i sweat alot from cheerleading and never have a problem with it cutting our or anything :)

I've used Naida V UPs for about 9 months now, and no problem in the rain. The little covers on the mics are replaceable and need to be changed if sound quality goes down; check often to make sure they're in place. If they fall off, the aids are no longer water resistant.

I'd never try showering with them; too expensive if they broke.

I have had a miserable experience with my Naidas. I hate them with a passion. I can hear a lot more with them but there are still consistent problems and I have had them for 14 months. I want to throw them out the window.

I have had a miserable experience with my Naidas. I hate them with a passion. I can hear a lot more with them but there are still consistent problems and I have had them for 14 months. I want to throw them out the window.

:( I understand your frustration. I've seen my audiologist more often than I care to say. Still have problems with the aid just cutting out or turning off and on randomly.

Of course the BVR (Vocational Rehab) in Ohio is really bad. Just about useless and wont help pay for it... Im going to have to work 2 jobs to pay for this thing.

BVR wouldn't help me either. Seems with all the cuts, they'll only provide essential services to keep your job, not to improve your function. Have you contacted Lion's Club for assistance?

I was told by a professional who works in the field of selling hearing aids that Naidas are quite problematic and not only that, overpriced. I'm not surprised to see that you are complaining about them.

:( I understand your frustration. I've seen my audiologist more often than I care to say. Still have problems with the aid just cutting out or turning off and on randomly.

I saw my audiologist weekly for over 8 months. I'm not joking. Now we are down to 1 or 2 times a month. It's stupid. They have been in for repair more than they have been in my ears. If they didn't help so much when they were functional I would be done with them!

I was told by a professional who works in the field of selling hearing aids that Naidas are quite problematic and not only that, overpriced. I'm not surprised to see that you are complaining about them.

Yeah, I work with kids who use them too and everyone has problems.

You guys are scaring me. I'm due to see my audie on Tuesday and am about ready to cancel and ask for something else.

Is there a better brand?

You guys are scaring me. I'm due to see my audie on Tuesday and am about ready to cancel and ask for something else.

Is there a better brand?

I have had very few problems with Phonak Naida V UP. It's possible I might have problems down the road but I am happy with them so far, nonwithstanding the fact my audiologist still hasn't found time to reprogram them for more gain and to enable transposition. I might be stuck hearing 10-15db less till I can save up for new HAs, will wait for a newer model from Phonak or a different company to be out by then.

I tried a Naida UP for about 3 months. Before I even tried them, I had made plans to buy it. But after the 3 months trial period, that was it. I return it to my audie and told the office I was sticking with my Supero hearing aid. The Naida just caused too many problems, nothing ever sounded "right" even with further adjustments. Even music sounded so horrible I couldn't stand it. And it was constantly cutting off on me, and it was just overall a frustrating experience. You would think Phonak would have had all the kinks worked out BEFORE they released this product but apparently they didn't. And it's a shame to see that people are STILL having problems with the Naida a bit over a year after it's official release. Really glad I went back to Phonak's Supero hearing aid. It has caused me some problems since I got it in May 2004 (occasional cut offs, but that seems to be due to static electricity/something to do with hair so if I just pull my hair back, no problems). I feel the Supero is a powerful enough hearing aid, without all the extra features the Naida has. But, it's good enough for me for the time being, while I work on finding insurance/funding to get my left ear implanted.

They have been in for repair more than they have been in my ears.

That reminds me of my Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs. I had to send them in for repair constantly.

If I wore Naidas and the same thing happened, I'd purchase another brand.

However, if they helped me to some extent (as yours do), I'd hang onto them.

That reminds me of my Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs. I had to send them in for repair constantly.

If I wore Naidas and the same thing happened, I'd purchase another brand.

However, if they helped me to some extent (as yours do), I'd hang onto them.

I don't want to switch because other brands don't have the frequency compression and it helps me a lot. I am also so used to it that without it everything sounds like a chipmunk!

I don't want to switch because other brands don't have the frequency compression and it helps me a lot. I am also so used to it that without it everything sounds like a chipmunk!

That's true Jenny. I forgot about the fact that Naidas are transposition aids. :)

I just got a pair of Naida V last Tuesday. My initial impression is that they are by far the most powerful and advanced hearing aids that I have ever owned. At the same time, with all that power comes a lot of complicated tuning issues. Right now, I am hearing waaaay too many sounds that I don't want to hear. Barking dogs, doors slamming, my peeing in the toilet!--no thanks! Personally, I don't know how hearies manage to stay sane hearing all this shit. It's maddening.

All I really want is for speech sounds to be boosted, and the initial programing hasn't optimized that. Also, I'm not sure if the transpositional processor is configured correctly, because I don't really notice a difference with it on.

I guess the real problem here is the audi. She hasn't worked with Naida's before, so I'm the guinea pig. Lucky me.

But Chuck, these could really help you. They are incredibly powerful. If you don't like them, send em back before the trial period is up. No biggie. Don't let the audie pressure you into keeping them.

This morning, I am going to get my Naida H.A. - Only the one as my left ear is totally deaf. I really appreciate all of the comments because it gives me an idea of what to look for and watch out for. It will be a good test day because I have to go into the office afterwards.

What Im not looking forward to is that I know Ill have to keep going back for adjustments over and over. #1- I don't really care much for my audie and they wont let me change. #2 Do you know how difficult it is to try to explain to someone who has perfect hearing what things sound like? #3 when they fit me with the aid, they don't test it really... we are just in her office and she mirrors my old aid and tells me to come back in a week. (been this route before). I don't know any Hearing impaired / deaf people and it is a breath of fresh air to be able to come on this board and vent my feelings and concerns and know you guys understand where Im coming from! Why cant I have an audie who is hearing impaired?

My old aid is an phonak supero... it took me a long time to get it to sound right mainly because I went from an analog to the digital. Then after 3 years the main microphone just died. I mean it shut off and we couldnt get it to work at all...Its in for repairs. When it comes back that will be my back up aid. But...What makes me mad is my audie "rushes" me. She sits on the edge of the desk with her arms crossed to talk to me and makes me feel like Im in grade school. ( I turn 45 next month!). She is always overbooked. My old audie who I liked quit. Wow... it feels nice to vent... Thanks! lol Sorry...I tend to ramble sometimes... Just tell me put a lid on it! :giggle:

Hey, That's life - dogs bark, peeing (and farting - OMG) have distinct sounds ...But I know what you mean, I started wearing hearing aids just recently (oticon Dual) and it takes time to get used to those sounds you never heard before.
My son wears Naidas we bought a couple of months ago (his are Naida III-UP) and I know what you mean about the tuning. I'm still not sure if he's on the optimum of the programing for him.

This morning, I am going to get my Naida H.A. - Only the one as my left ear is totally deaf. I really appreciate all of the comments because it gives me an idea of what to look for and watch out for. It will be a good test day because I have to go into the office afterwards.

What Im not looking forward to is that I know Ill have to keep going back for adjustments over and over. #1- I don't really care much for my audie and they wont let me change. #2 Do you know how difficult it is to try to explain to someone who has perfect hearing what things sound like? #3 when they fit me with the aid, they don't test it really... we are just in her office and she mirrors my old aid and tells me to come back in a week. (been this route before). I don't know any Hearing impaired / deaf people and it is a breath of fresh air to be able to come on this board and vent my feelings and concerns and know you guys understand where Im coming from! Why cant I have an audie who is hearing impaired?

My old aid is an phonak supero... it took me a long time to get it to sound right mainly because I went from an analog to the digital. Then after 3 years the main microphone just died. I mean it shut off and we couldnt get it to work at all...Its in for repairs. When it comes back that will be my back up aid. But...What makes me mad is my audie "rushes" me. She sits on the edge of the desk with her arms crossed to talk to me and makes me feel like Im in grade school. ( I turn 45 next month!). She is always overbooked. My old audie who I liked quit. Wow... it feels nice to vent... Thanks! lol Sorry...I tend to ramble sometimes... Just tell me put a lid on it! :giggle:

A good audie is super important. I am lucky to have, who I think, is the best audiologist in the entire world! She is patient, takes her times, listens to me and my feedback, goes the extra mile for me if need be, etc. I have no complaints about her at all. She is young and a recent graduate so sometimes thing take a little longer, but she is cautious and makes sure she is doing everything right. If she has any doubts at all she checks with someone a little more experienced.

I have experienced working with audiologists who hate their lives and jobs, they are no fun! What do you mean "they won't let you switch"? It is your right! Or go to a different office to buy the Naida! Switch yourself!

Getting a Naida IX after 5 years of life on my base priced Miracle Ear ITE. After 2 weeks, still waiting on the earmolds. Question: Are the Naidas shockproof? I've been wearing hearing aids since the early '60's and found that some BTE aids can be quite forgiving if dropped on the floor.

Last edited:
Back