My thoughts on Deaf Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit that I have done the same thing as Sheila has. Someone asked me to serve as part of a panel that has a middle school student, a high school student (me), and a college student. The purpose of the panel was to allow parents to ask us questions about being in a mainstream school. That was over 10 years ago. That was the only AG Bell conference I've ever gone.

Here is the funny part: A lot of people signed there. There were interpreters as well.

Now you can imagine my puzzled face when people talk about AG Bell hating sign and forces oral only. Since I've only gone to one conference, I'm not sure what is the truth but all I can tell you is that.... at least ONE of their conferences had a lot of signing.

I've only been to one, a couple of years ago, and had the same experience. Many HAs, LOTS of signing deaf, some hearing parents/spouses/family members/related professionals, a handful of CIs, pretty much in that order from largest group to smallest.

Before I rebuttal off, what do you exactly mean by
That's how effective organizations (those with audist view, anti-deaf, pro-CI) are.
???

Regarding the "audist view", let's bring it to another analogy, of say minority hispanic students in NY, CA, Texan and other state Public schools. In the big picture of life, spanish and english are really both just languages, and if anything, spanish can be more useful at times and more simple to learn. However we live in an american society, where english is much more mainstream, and not knowing english is a huge disadvantage economically and socially.

I think you can see where I am going, and that's not to say that spanish is bad or anything of course, but it's easy to see where the ''audist view" comes from, and while AG Bell doesn't even mandate a CI or Oral deafism, it does promote it, and it's not for THEIR good, but for you Jiro, and my good. I know this is a sensitive topic and expands further on, to pros and cons of CI's, but this "audist" view is not same classwarfare or something. It's a matter of maximum integration and possibilities.

Let's face the facts, the majority of Deafies do not have high paying jobs or college degrees. Of the one's that do have degrees, many are limited, not by pure choice to Gaulladett (spel?) and RIT.

There's no reason to hate on people with "audist" views, when it's because they want the best for you. Perhaps i am using audist incorrectly, because I am not feeling superior, but practically it's much better, it's like having a US medical degree vs russian.

Expecting lower standards for the deaf is not acceptable, that's the equivalent of affirmative action, and implicitly implying that you are inferior and deserve leeway. Accommodations? Absolutely, but that's no reason to accept less.

Public demonstration, and actual application of policy are quite often 2 different things.

I agree, but...... still doesn't make sense to have interpreters there as well as many deaf people who sign. Wouldn't it make the BIG oralist supporters upset? You see what I mean? Sort of the opposite of having a couple of deaf people speaking to each other in Gallaudet.

Obviously they can't control who signs, but they can control having interpreters there. And if deaf people sign to each other there, why would they be there, supporting AG Bell (a so called hardcore oralist group)? Something just doesn't jive.

I am not talking about AG Bell himself (another matter), but rather the group as it is in the past 15 years.

This reminds me of a self correcting data math problem, http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/documents/TapasClassDescription.pdf

see the week 6 section, :D fun stuff and there's still time to register so guys Mathematical Tapas Course

check it out and register for this awesome course!!!

I am going to continue exploring fock spaces, Fock space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for the light headed there's the mexican hat theorem which is actually kinda neat but useless, Spontaneous symmetry breaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OOhh how lovely :D time to get my brain to work :D

Anywho, i was venting a little but i also expressing my concern as well. Because i been helping some deaf friends who is not understanding math or english pretty well. It just bother me so much that some deaf people dont get themselves motivated. I am SO sure that all of you have goal. just work toward to it. I do it and i read a book almost everyday or i am trying to. But my vocabulary is improving. Butt my point is, why not you help yourself and work toward to your goals. just either you dont want to or want to do improve yourselves for goals that you want to achieves. All you have to think positive and think that you can do it not that you CANT do it. If you want take easy path or hard path? I choose the hard path myself and yet it make me achieve in long run!

OOhh how lovely :D time to get my brain to work :D

Anywho, i was venting a little but i also expressing my concern as well. Because i been helping some deaf friends who is not understanding math or english pretty well. It just bother me so much that some deaf people dont get themselves motivated. I am SO sure that all of you have goal. just work toward to it. I do it and i read a book almost everyday or i am trying to. But my vocabulary is improving. Butt my point is, why not you help yourself and work toward to your goals. just either you dont want to or want to do improve yourselves for goals that you want to achieves. All you have to think positive and think that you can do it not that you CANT do it. If you want take easy path or hard path? I choose the hard path myself and yet it make me achieve in long run!
'
'
I remember your English writing from three years ago and compare it to today, and it is easy to see you have worked very hard and improved style and vocabulary.

You made great strides in what you wanted to do.

'
'
I remember your English writing from three years ago and compare it to today, and it is easy to see you have worked very hard and improved style and vocabulary.

You made great strides in what you wanted to do.

i would love to see my English writing from 3 years ago and compare it today as well to see my improvement. :giggle: But i kept journal to write also help me to improve as well. :D Is my English writing on here or no?

i would love to see my English writing from 3 years ago and compare it today as well to see my improvement. :giggle: But i kept journal to write also help me to improve as well. :D Is my English writing on here or no?

Should be. You wrote a story about your early childhood. I think it is in the creative writing section.

Uhhhhhh, whats so bad about AG Bell????? All they do is give free money to programs they like?

Seriously....this is getting a tad out of hand? :P

AG Bell doesnt help the signing deaf.

Okay nicely rebuked, on your point, how are they discriminatory? Because they want to help kids using cochlear implants?

But do they help kids who dont have speech skills or dont have CIs?

shel90, I know nothing about their services to Deaf people, but many other posters affirmed their positive services, address them, not me.

Before I rebuttal off, what do you exactly mean by ???

Regarding the "audist view", let's bring it to another analogy, of say minority hispanic students in NY, CA, Texan and other state Public schools. In the big picture of life, spanish and english are really both just languages, and if anything, spanish can be more useful at times and more simple to learn. However we live in an american society, where english is much more mainstream, and not knowing english is a huge disadvantage economically and socially.

I think you can see where I am going, and that's not to say that spanish is bad or anything of course, but it's easy to see where the ''audist view" comes from, and while AG Bell doesn't even mandate a CI or Oral deafism, it does promote it, and it's not for THEIR good, but for you Jiro, and my good. I know this is a sensitive topic and expands further on, to pros and cons of CI's, but this "audist" view is not same classwarfare or something. It's a matter of maximum integration and possibilities.

Let's face the facts, the majority of Deafies do not have high paying jobs or college degrees. Of the one's that do have degrees, many are limited, not by pure choice to Gaulladett (spel?) and RIT.

There's no reason to hate on people with "audist" views, when it's because they want the best for you. Perhaps i am using audist incorrectly, because I am not feeling superior, but practically it's much better, it's like having a US medical degree vs russian.

Expecting lower standards for the deaf is not acceptable, that's the equivalent of affirmative action, and implicitly implying that you are inferior and deserve leeway. Accommodations? Absolutely, but that's no reason to accept less.

using the word, "limited" in the same sentence as Gallaudet and RIT is not good at all. It gives the impressionof what your views of Deaf people are.

Even your earlier work was pretty powerful stuff, though.

Yes i saw that. i have some more to add and make some changes. So basically when i get home from Jacksonville. I guess i work on that. :)

using the word, "limited" in the same sentence as Gallaudet and RIT is not good at all. It gives the impressionof what your views of Deaf people are.

Oh really, so gaulladet and deaf are synonymous and one? I don't think playing a modus tollen's fallacy argument is correct. (If A implies B, then you just assumed B implies A),

I am saying the colleges are are limited...which is what I did.

I am very skeptical given with my own personal experience with that organization but I will take your word for it. I just wish I see them helping out Deaf schools and signing programs. It all has been promoted to support oral-only programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back