My thoughts on Deaf Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stating the reality, and if you find the english classroom to be a nuisance and a pain, and I am not discussing say Oxford english course, then yes the non deafies aren't going to look upon the deafies as equal partners. Jilio, both you and I know that your graciously tolerant views are not shared by the majority of the world. If the deaf community, which i am part of, wants to change their public face, they have a lot of work to do. It's smilar to the minority black and hispanic communities, which are looked down upon for the most part.

If "they have a lot of work to do" is according to you, I'd start by looking at oneself first.

:whistle:

I presume you don't face as much bigotry if your minority is so minuscule?

I have faced more bigotry in my lifetime than you could possibly imagine given your degree of life experience.

Who said my ethnicity included a minuscule minority? You would serve yourself well not to assume.

How can they, in good conscious, request that Pepsi include all deaf when they themselves fail to do so. As I said, hypocisy.

And as I said, I don't agree with that message they sent, and neither do the majority of AGB members.

I do think I have done a decent job on myself, as a scout leader, staff member, and winner in math, debate, and swimming contests, as well socially overall. I am a regular speaker for various events in my troop and school. It has certainly raised the respect, sensitivity and perspective of the deaf community, because anyone can do anything, but that "can" isn't same thing as "easily" or "does".

Last edited:
I do think I have done a decent job on myself, as a scout leader, staff member, and winner in math, debate, and swimming contests, as well socially overall. I am a regular speaker for various events in my troop and school. It has certainly raised the respect, sensitivity and perspective of the dead community, because anyone can do anything, but that "can" isn't same thing as "easily" or "does".

It is well known around here. In fact, I made a reference to it just today in another thread.

I am 1/3 Jewish, 1/3 African American, and 1/3 Irish. But according to the matrilineal Jewish, I am Jewish. According to the patrilineal Afrrican Americans, I am African American. I prefer multi-ethnic.

I do think I have done a decent job on myself, as a scout leader, staff member, and winner in math, debate, and swimming contests, as well socially overall. I am a regular speaker for various events in my troop and school. It has certainly raised the respect, sensitivity and perspective of the dead community, because anyone can do anything, but that "can" isn't same thing as "easily" or "does".

The "dead" community?:shock:

This reminds me of a self correcting data math problem, http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/documents/TapasClassDescription.pdf

see the week 6 section, :D fun stuff and there's still time to register so guys Mathematical Tapas Course

check it out and register for this awesome course!!!

I am going to continue exploring fock spaces, Fock space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for the light headed there's the mexican hat theorem which is actually kinda neat but useless, Spontaneous symmetry breaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:<math>\sum \limits_{n=1}^{\infty} a_nx^n = x + {m \choose 1}\sum \limits_{a=2}^{\infty} x^{a} + {m \choose 2}\sum \limits_{a=2}^{\infty} \sum \limits_{b=2}^{\infty} x^{ab} + {m \choose 3}\sum \limits_{a=2}^{\infty} \sum \limits_{b=2}^{\infty} \sum \limits_{c=2}^{\infty} x^{abc} + {m \choose 4}\sum \limits_{a=2}^{\infty} \sum \limits_{b=2}^{\infty} \sum \limits_{c=2}^{\infty} \sum \limits_{d=2}^{\infty} x^{abcd} +...</math>

FUCK!!!!!! Who can I contact to enable latex into this forum? :( </3 this is sad..

sigh...haters reported my comment, </3 </3, continues on rant about holocaust and plays jewish card, ;'(

I am stating the reality, and if you find the english classroom to be a nuisance and a pain, and I am not discussing say Oxford english course, then yes the non deafies aren't going to look upon the deafies as equal partners. Jilio, both you and I know that your graciously tolerant views are not shared by the majority of the world. If the deaf community, which i am part of, wants to change their public face, they have a lot of work to do. It's smilar to the minority black and hispanic communities, which are looked down upon for the most part.

I know this sounds and is harsh, but I rather be open about it then deny the reality, but that kind of rhetoric gives reason for non deafies to look down on the deaf, the same way people with autism won't ever get full respect and esteem of non autistic people. Luckily I was a 6x winner in Debate and Model congress, which really gave a huge positive impression on the hearing community, because these are 5% logic and research, but 95% communications and persuasive and speaking skills.

I see that you're pretty dang good at debate club and I'm not but I do a dang good job against effective debater because all it takes is one hypocrisy to invalidate one's argument. That's where experience comes in :)

You see... the "reality" you speak of.. you haven't seen it yet. So far... your extent of reality is limited to classrooms and some but that's ok. What you argue and what you think is pretty much same as rest of us in our youth. That's how effective organizations (those with audist view, anti-deaf, pro-CI) are.

Mind you - we are not against CI or HA or lip reading or speaking or anything. We are also not against deafies who want to hear or deafies who do not want to learn ASL. We only have a problem with audist view. That's all.

I admit that I have done the same thing as Sheila has. Someone asked me to serve as part of a panel that has a middle school student, a high school student (me), and a college student. The purpose of the panel was to allow parents to ask us questions about being in a mainstream school. That was over 10 years ago. That was the only AG Bell conference I've ever gone.

Here is the funny part: A lot of people signed there. There were interpreters as well.

Now you can imagine my puzzled face when people talk about AG Bell hating sign and forces oral only. Since I've only gone to one conference, I'm not sure what is the truth but all I can tell you is that.... at least ONE of their conferences had a lot of signing.

I admit that I have done the same thing as Sheila has. Someone asked me to serve as part of a panel that has a middle school student, a high school student (me), and a college student. The purpose of the panel was to allow parents to ask us questions about being in a mainstream school. That was over 10 years ago. That was the only AG Bell conference I've ever gone.

Here is the funny part: A lot of people signed there. There were interpreters as well.

Now you can imagine my puzzled face when people talk about AG Bell hating sign and forces oral only. Since I've only gone to one conference, I'm not sure what is the truth but all I can tell you is that.... at least ONE of their conferences had a lot of signing.

Public demonstration, and actual application of policy are quite often 2 different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back