My son's milestone

Thanks for your advice, I will look into that. You have been a big help. Can you care to expand the idea of how gluten and casien affects autistic children in a way or other? What I mean is, How does it manifests their behaviors?

To be able to get an idea of what autism is like, I'd recommend you to read the book "Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships" by Temple Grandin. The author, Temple, herself has autism. She also has wrote several other books which are also exceptional. Dr. Temple Grandin Books and Videos

Jenny McCarthy has a autistic son. She uses gluten free diet for him and it works. I remember her saying that it doesn't work for every autistic kids but one should try this out just in case. I found a link that might explain how gluten and casien affects autistic kids: Dietary Interventions in Autism

Thanks for the book by Temple Grandin. I remember her from the tv as she invented the squeeze-machine for the cows to be slaughtered. I didn't like that since I am vegetarian.

I already know that Asperger's is mild form of Autism. I was reading Roger Fouts' "Next of Kin" about his experiences with Washoe (signing chimpaneze). In chapter 8 of his book, He figured that David does respond to anything visual. He taught David sign language like "open" and saying the word just before opening the door and sign "run" and saying the work just before running down the hall. It tooked David two months to finally made eye contact. Later on, he finally spoke. It is like David have two separate systems - visual and aural but they don't go together. Sign lanugage sort of put them together, is how I see it.

Hi Gang,

I wanted to share with you about this amazing and exciting news regarding of my autistic son. For some time, my son has been struggling with his communication skills. He only limits himself to gestures and pictures in order to communicate.

But, Yesterday, I was so ecstatic to receive this information from my son's teacher. The teacher has been working with my son by using the stencils and trying to get him to work with the alphabets for some time. He was somewhat able to get the grasp of alphabets until yesterday, and this is what his teacher said -

So, with that, It has gave me hope to go further with my son and I am really proud of him. I am hoping he will be able to write more words and things like that in order to communicate with us down the road. This is a start.

That great! :) i m soo happy ur son finally getting work on alphabets and ects

I wasn't aware you also do have an autistic child. How are you able to make a step with your autistic child to go further? Indeed, It takes everything to get there. Certainly, it is not out of the woods yet but at a point, we all have to think out of the box to get there one way or other.

Yes I do have a child diagnosed with autism at 4 years of age. He is at the milder end of the Autistic Spectrum and is classified as a ‘high functioning’ autistic child.

He was unable to learn how to talk by hearing and repetition like most 'normal' hearing developing children. So my quest was how to teach him language, grammar, what to say and when to say it. (he is hearing) Very early I noticed him reading from about 2 years of age, so I thought I'd try teaching him to talk by reading what he should be saying and used a magnetic wipeable board to write on. He could label objects, but could not ask a question. So I would write for example when he wanted a drink. "Mummy, can I please have a drink". I would hold it up every time he wanted a drink. (Before he would go to the fridge, grab the milk and dump it in front of you and say "milk"). He began reading the board and repeating it, not really understanding initially that was what he was meant to do everytime he wanted to ask for milk. Gradually over time, I wiped one word off the board, till all I had to do was hold up the magnetic blank board and he eventually understood that was what he was meant to do to ask.

We did this with every little thing in his day, needless to say that it was a HUGE undertaking, but 4 years later, he has a basic understanding of social expectations and we are absolutely delighted. It is all paying off.

I know each child with autism is almost completely different to another - this way has worked for us. Your son's needs Jolie would be quite different to mine, but rest assured that yours and your son's teachers efforts will pay off in the long run.

Hope this helps
Kangaroo :)

That's great! Glad he's doing that!

Sometimes, they won't do anything... until something triggers the next step in improving... and you found it! :)

Keep it up, Jo.. I'm sure your son will advance onto the next level and more!!!

I wasn't aware you also do have an autistic child. How are you able to make a step with your autistic child to go further? Indeed, It takes everything to get there. Certainly, it is not out of the woods yet but at a point, we all have to think out of the box to get there one way or other.

Yes I do have a child diagnosed with autism at 4 years of age. He is at the milder end of the Autistic Spectrum and is classified as a ‘high functioning’ autistic child.

He was unable to learn how to talk by hearing and repetition like most 'normal' hearing developing children. So my quest was how to teach him language, grammar, what to say and when to say it. (he is hearing) Very early I noticed him reading from about 2 years of age, so I thought I'd try teaching him to talk by reading what he should be saying and used a magnetic wipeable board to write on. He could label objects, but could not ask a question. So I would write for example when he wanted a drink. "Mummy, can I please have a drink". I would hold it up every time he wanted a drink. (Before he would go to the fridge, grab the milk and dump it in front of you and say "milk"). He began reading the board and repeating it, not really understanding initially that was what he was meant to do everytime he wanted to ask for milk. Gradually over time, I wiped one word off the board, till all I had to do was hold up the magnetic blank board and he eventually understood that was what he was meant to do to ask.

We did this with every little thing in his day, needless to say that it was a HUGE undertaking, but 4 years later, he has a basic understanding of social expectations and we are absolutely delighted. It is all paying off.

I know each child with autism is almost completely different to another - this way has worked for us. Your son's needs Jolie would be quite different to mine, but rest assured that yours and your son's teachers efforts will pay off in the long run.

Hope this helps

You are a very resourceful Mum. That story really touched me!

And lump me in with Jillio! Having not known this, I always knew there was something special about you Kangy!

Jillio and Tousi,
Thanks for your kind words! It certainly has been a life changing though very rewarding experience, that is, once we accepted that he did indeed have autism (that was scary enough in itself intially!). Now, I wouldnt swap it for quids!

I'll post some more stuff on his 'methods' and highs and lows if people are interested perhaps in a new thread. No doubt most of you would know though, that what worked for my son may not work for Jolie's son, nor other children that you may know personally that have, or you suspect, may have autism, but its always helpful to see different methods.

Jolie, recognition and memory work have been the two major keys for achieving steps with my son, and because with your son he is obviously using both these with the stencils, I just hope that this tool can be extended upon to reach and draw out those areas needed for communication. Be encouraged and never, ever give up. We are with you all the way.

From someone who understands,

Jillio and Tousi,
Thanks for your kind words! It certainly has been a life changing though very rewarding experience, that is, once we accepted that he did indeed have autism (that was scary enough in itself intially!). Now, I wouldnt swap it for quids!

I'll post some more stuff on his 'methods' and highs and lows if people are interested perhaps in a new thread. No doubt most of you would know though, that what worked for my son may not work for Jolie's son, nor other children that you may know personally that have, or you suspect, may have autism, but its always helpful to see different methods.

Jolie, recognition and memory work have been the two major keys for achieving steps with my son, and because with your son he is obviously using both these with the stencils, I just hope that this tool can be extended upon to reach and draw out those areas needed for communication. Be encouraged and never, ever give up. We are with you all the way.

From someone who understands,

I can relate somewhat regarding the diagnosis of my son's deafness. It is indeed a scary time, as you have no idea what to do next. And, I too, ended up coming up with my own solutions, as I found the ones the professionals had come up to be rather useless in accomplishing the goals I had for my child. And I am in total agreement....it is a life changing experience, but one that has indeed made my life richer and made me a better person as a result.

I would love for you, and Jolie, as well, to continue posting about your experiences. I work with deaf teens and young adults, mostly, but have students with various disabilities. The more I can learn about how to address their needs from someone who experiences it on an intimate level, the better I can serve their needs from my position. I'm sure there is much you can teach me that isn't found in a text book or manual.

:h5::h5::h5: to your son!! I am so proud of you and your son. Don't give up!!!

:bump:

I wanted to update this thread.

Ever since he made a breakthrough with his stencils, he is now able to write without the stencils. That is a continuing progress which is starting to look great. He also can type out some of the words on the computer as well.

I am so pleased with the progress and his teacher has made an effort in this as well. He is also able to sign some words.

So, I believe it will be only a matter of time before he really gets there.

Ever since he made a breakthrough with his stencils, he is now able to write without the stencils. That is a continuing progress which is starting to look great. He also can type out some of the words on the computer as well.

I am so pleased with the progress and his teacher has made an effort in this as well. He is also able to sign some words.

Glad to hear of this wonderful news! Things do look encouraging for your son. *smiling** It sounds as if once he got the concept, he was able to take off and apply it in other ways. That is true learning and understanding! Congratulations to him for his hard work, and to you, as well.

Glad to hear about your son can put some a words :) ..

I watched the movie about Austim (sp) that single mother have austim twins boy and it was amazing as I watched about them that they cant able to write or understand at all till getting older till finally they understand and can talk as well . .. one guy picked up so fast from learning chess, guitar , etc and other guy like to running around but he get easy lost it hard to get him to track follow other ppl from running at school. but it so amazing as I watched movie wow :)

Jolie, that's great news to hear he's taking one footstep at a time to write his name and learn new signs. I know he will be able to accomplish more as time goes on step by step. I am sure your very proud of his achievements and more. :hug:

WOW Jo.. that's great news and best progress so far for your kid.. .wow.. hope he can do well even more and advance himself to higher levels.... keep it up...

Back