my son is deaf, finally

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
That's how some deaf people feel about it. Keep watching it till at the end.

I have no comment for it.

EDIT Thanks to Karissamanno5 for intrepting it in the video.
check her 4 posts followings: #10, #12, #13 and #14.

Last edited:
It's a good video because he encourages us to think outside of the box with the paradigm of CIs and wee babies.

He got me alright, at first I was like what the.... that's so wrong and so cruel.

Since I don't know ASL is anybody willing to give me an idea of what he said in the video? I'm just curious since the subject title kind of gets to me: did he want his son do be deaf?!? That confuses me... :shrug:

:ty:

Very good! It takes one to really think outside of the box to really understand the point of it. I totally understand where he is coming from.

Oh yeah, he riled me up alright.

I was thinking all kinds of things .. until I saw more and more of the video and thought yes, that's the kind of mentality he wants all of us to take and use to the best of our power. Apply that towards babies and CIs because they're way too young to be CIed, IMHO.

Develop their communication method by using ASL and you strengthen the bond between parent and child rather than focusing on their health after surgery and their CI mappings & time travel to and from audiologists, etc.

This is just my POV.

Since I don't know ASL is anybody willing to give me an idea of what he said in the video? I'm just curious since the subject title kind of gets to me: did he want his son do be deaf?!? That confuses me... :shrug:

:ty:

I'll intrept it for you. I'll do my best. :)

You know, the video clip seemed don’t mention “his son’s” name. So I made up for the name cos I do not want to use “my son” all the time. So, his name is Jimmy. I hope you don’t mind … :) I know it’s not completely accurate but the majority was! ;) Here’s the best transcription for non-ASL and/or deafblind people. I'd been doing this for two and half hour to complete all errors I made from my previous posts. Now, I think I got everything but, at the least, I did try do my best. :)

{ Effects - Fade into see a white text on the black background, reads, “My Son is Deaf, Finally!” }

{ Effects - Fade out to see a dark-haired man with dark eyes just sat down on his cool brown conch. He wore his light gray t-suit and his red cap with a yellow text reads “UBC”. }

{ Effects - A small window appeared on the downer-right corner of the screen. A black text on the small white window, reads, “James Kittell, Parent of Hearing Son”}

( The man began to sign in ASL as known of American Sign Language. )

James Kittell: Hello! My name is James Kittell. (rubbing his hands) Wow! (rubbing his hands) (his hands rise up) I can’t believe it!

{ Effects - The small and white window, who was on the downer right corner, disappeared. }

It was really happened! (his hands rise up, and then one of his hands stay floated up while his hand spelled three letters) Wow! (rubbing his hands) Now, I am ready to share my story. Are you ready for listening my story? Okay. (rubbing hands)

Kittell: Four years ago, my wife was pregnant and, nine months later, it was time to be ready for giving a birth to our child. I was like “Ohh!” We went to a hospital. (rubbing hands) It was amazingly happened that we have a boy! (gave his hands out to spread his fingers out) It was really beautiful boy (Jimmy)! I held him and felt so blessing! Wow! I felt so thrilled to be father already! My wife felt the same thing and she held Jim excitedly. We hugged joyfully and kissed each other for the joy! Wow. . . Our Jimmy was so adorably beautiful. Wow. My wife and I have our families were there, but they didn’t sign. They only used their voice for speaking as hearing families. We still could speak (and sign) with our families. But, of course, they were really happy and thrilled about our firstborn son. They and we hugged each other for the joy, and we allowed them to hold our boy. They told us, in speaking English, that our boy was definitely gorgeous and we heartily agreed, too. Wow . . . We, all together, spend with our dear Jimmy until a doctor came in the room. He confirmed us that doctor needed to check on Jimmy’s health first before we could go home. We said okay and allowed the doctor to take Jim for the inspection on his health issues; his eyes, nose, mouth, and etc. etc. The doctor also checked to make sure the baby didn’t have any disease or a kind of serious disease. It turned out that baby was perfectly healthy!

Kittell: The doctor brought our Jim to my wife and I. He informed us that our child was . . . hearing!

Kittell: (gave his hands out to spread his fingers out) (gasps) Hearing? (a hand rise up) What?? My wife gasped in shock, “Hearing?” She then cried. I looked at her and tried to confirm her feeling. But I looked at doctor for second thought, and asked him to make sure if he actually said it? “Seriously? Hearing?” The doctor replied, “Yes, he is hearing.” Our families were very thrilled and very happy, and took our son for holding the baby Jimmy. I only stared dully at them. We shocked. . . and then I looked sadly at my wife as she stared at me. That means the hearing baby . . . You know, we hoped our child born a deaf person that would make a new generation for future deaf people. We just found out that our child was not deaf. We felt so lost! My wife was still cried heartbrokenly . . . I even really tried to confirm her feeling for the support. . . I told her, “Don’t worry. I - - It’s important thing is teaching our boy signing (and speaking), that’s all positive matter. We could give a try to have an another child and hope it may be deaf one.” My wife was like, “Okay. Fine. It’s important to think positively for us.” I nodded in agreement. Okay, all right. (rubbing his hands) Now, it was time to go home with our dear Jimmy.

Kittell: (rubbing hands) Four years later . . . (rubbing hands) One night, we ate a dinner at dinning room with my son. We enjoyed our food and chatted together. But, in my own true feeling, I feel still disappointed wretchedly when I just looked at him and he was still hearing. My son was not know what I felt about it. But, he was hearing. I looked at him and wondered. (rubbing his chin) I decided to talk my wife. I told her when my son could go to bed, I want a private conservation with her. That would take a couple of hours for a serious discussion. She said “Sure, that’s fine. No problem.” After my son took a bath and went to his bedtime, and he fell asleep. Prefect! We went to our living room and sat on conch. Okay. (rubbing his hands) As we discussed, we know what we felt when we highly hoped that our son born deaf but he was hearing. I told her that it still bothered me since four years . . . He was still hearing. We was hoped he could lost his hearing, so we could have a deaf family. But it didn’t happen, which was disappointed us. Wow! (rubbing his hands) My wife told me that she did feel my pain and understood my POV. I nodded understandably, and said, “You know, I wondered almost everyday that I want him to be deaf.” My wife just stunned and exclaimed that she wanted her son to be deaf, too! I wondered that she wanted our Jimmy to be like us. Just as I want, too. (rubbing his hands) I thoughtfully said to her that I, perhaps, could contact my specialized doctor about the deafness surgery? Would she change her mind about this one? But my wife was firmly replied, “No. I really want my son to have a deafness to keep deaf generations going on. I will not change my mind.” I said, “Okay, fine.” We discussed for a long while, and then we confidently determined that we wanted our Jim to have a deafness.

Kittell: Next morning, my son woke up and went to the dinner room for breakfast time. We were already there after we got up, dressed up, and cooked breakfast foods. Before we could drop him off at his school, we wanted to inform with him about something . . . I told him that he know he was hearing, right? He replied, “Yes, I’m hearing.” I said, “Okay. You know we are deaf, right?” Jimmy nodded in respond. “Okay - - (rubbing his hands) you know, we discussed for a while and we made a decision that you will be deaf. Soon.” My son was appalled and was almost shuttered, “W- Wait! Do you mean I will not hear anything else? I will not hear a music?” I smiled, “No, don’t need to. You can feel the music.” Jim was still utterly shocked and began a few tears came out of his eyes, “That means I can’t hear while I watch my favorite a cartoon?” I shook my head and replied positively, “No. There is already subtitle to be ready for people with hearing loss. Do not worry!” My son whimpered, “But, but, but what about my friends? How could I communication with them?” I, again, replied to him, “No, honey, you can teach them ASL. It’s nothing is wrong with that. You could teach them how to accept who you are. Don’t worry.” Jimmy suddenly bawled, “NO!!! I don’t want to!! I don’t want to!! No, no, no, no!!!“ But we told him we were sorry but what is the important thing that Jim would be same as us (like a family). He still refused to accept it so we took him to his school.

Kittell: We went to work . . . (rubbing hands) While I was worked, I realized that I should contact some doctor now. I called my specialized doctor and explained our decision about my son’s deafness that we want it for him. The doctor surprisingly winced and asked if I was really sure about that. I said, “Yes, I really am. Can you give me some contacts for deafness surgery, please?” But the American doctor told us our country was not allowed it because it is illegal in America. But, he/she told me that he/she knew one person who is a surgeon. There was only a way to receive the surgical treatment was in Brazil at South America. I was like, “Okay. Please can I have his/her information?” And, the doctor did give us one; name, addresses, phone number, and etc. Ooh, I was so excited! (rubbing his hands) But I couldn’t use video phone to contact at outside of America. I must to call someone in USA only. But I know one person who is worked at my job, this person was hearing and she knew ASL languages very well. I asked her if she mind to call the surgeon in Brazil? She said sure, she could call for me. (rubbing hands) She called this person who from Brazil . . . (rubbing hands) It processed the plan successfully that we now had some interpreters for ASL, English, and Brazil languages. Now we had an appointment in two months later, and we would take an airplane for it. But, I understood the surgery was really expensive. It was like $150,000. $150,000? Okay, all right. But, luckily, I remembered that I had my saving account at my home and it ready for any emergency reason and [equality rights? It‘s kinda of hard to read his fast fingerspelling]. (rubbing his hands) It really happened that we did make a plan, an appointment, and anything else! Okay, the hearing woman who knew ASL and I were finished with the phone. I paged my wife and told everything about the appointment. Of course, she was really delighted! But I told him that we would have to take $150,000, all cash from our saving account. She smiled, “It’s fine! I don’t mind!” Fine, all right! (rubbing his hands) At my home, we had to fill it up some form for a mail and sent it to Brazil. Two months later, last week, we now used money for equality, airplane, and deafness surgery. We met my interpreter before we flew to Del Rio City in the South America and arrived there . . . We found a van to ride for hospital. We drove all the way to there. At the hospital, we met three physicians; a surgeon, a doctor, and consulter.

Kittell: (rubbing his hands) We had to deal with consulter first, surgeon second, and finally doctor. It was a proper procession for the deafness surgery. The consulter asked us same questions for two hours and made sure if we change our minds. Of course, we already made a firm decision and no change a mind at all. We filled up some forms and applications for the agreement. After that, we had to listen the surgeon’s important discussion about how it works during a surgery, how it would be successful, what risks there will be, and so on. We asked the surgeon some questions and discussed about it. An hour passed, we did the applications and made an another agreement to understand the important note about the deafness surgery. Now, we discussed with the last one, the doctor, and then, after a long conversation, all three physicians confirmed us that was a good quality! It really happened to have a good quality for the surgery! Now, it was ready to sign up the final application to dismiss the discussion and, all the responsibility they gave to ours. We signed up and were done for all good! Wow! (rubbing his hands eagerly) I asked them, “When will our son’s surgery start? They said it is tomorrow. Tomorrow!? What is it time? They said, “Eight o’clock in morning.” (gasps!) That was so thrilled to know it was so sooner! (clapping, and then rubbing his hands) I informed to my son, Jimmy, about the deafness surgery. He was really depressing and cried. I smiled, “Don’t worry. When you become a deaf person and grow up, you will be fine. You already understand your own hearing. Now, you are going to be deaf and it will take a time to learn how use to your own deafness. Only take a time. Everything will be all right! Don’t worry! We will support you! Don’t worry.” Okay. . . (rubbing his hands)

Kittell: Next day, in morning, it was time for his surgery! Jimmy was taken to the operation room. We waited for three hours . . . It happened to notice an another doctor came up to us. He/She informed us that our son was indeed deaf! (rise his hands up to spread his fingers out) Really, it happened that Jimmy was deaf!? The doctor nodded, “Yes, he is really deaf.” Wow! My wife and I were so overjoyed and hugged each other for the joy! My son is deaf, finally! It happened. He is deaf! I - - (rise his hands up again like before) Wow . . . We waited for our son to be awaken, and once he woke up. We asked him if he is okay, but Jim shook his head and told he couldn’t hear us. We were so relieved and excited at the same time! But, my son was cried miserably. We tried to confirm his feeling about his hearing loss, “Don’t worry. Let’s use ASL.” We chatted in ASL, and then we went to branch at outside since our son can’t swim because of his surgical reasons. We taught him how to use anything was related to deafness issues. After that, we rode an airplane to return my home, yesterday. Whoa . . . (rise his hands up like an usual) We informed our families about our choice for my son. (rise his hands up) Out of the blue, our families were outraged and really anger at us! At the least, I was able to stand up for our decision. I told them off that was OUR decision. We are deaf, and my son is now deaf. We now have a new generation. Please respect our choice! I don’t care what they said or thought. Our families just refused to accept and tried to convince us to bring Jimmy’s hearing back. I told them again - - I already grew up orally for my family, and that was enough. My wife did grew up the same thing and that was enough. Now, it is our turn! We got a new generation. That means if deaf parents have a hearing child, they could change his/her hearing to be deaf. If there are another deaf parents have hearing kids, they can remove their hearing off! Each generation will be deaf forever! There, it’s our decision. (rubbing hands)

Kittell: Now, I want you guys to look at my pictures . . . Okay. After that, I want you guys to show to your friends, families, and any familiar people you know who. Please tell them that is perfectly okay to change your hearing to be deaf. It should be approval! (rubbing his hands) Okay? (rubbing) Are you ready? (rubbing his hands) Okay? (rubbing his hands) (winks) (thumbs up)

{ Effects - Fade out into the black background. }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “Our Flight to Brazil”. Faded out. }

{ Effects - A picture appeared. It said, there was an airplane landed at the airplane park, white and orange, and a orange word reads, “TAM”. Faded out. }

{ Effects - Faded out into the black background. }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “Del Rio, Brazil”. Faded out. }

{ Effects - A picture appeared; it was an image of the city that was where Kittell family went there. }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “Rio Grande Hospital”. Faded out.}

{ Effects - A picture appeared. There was a hospital where his family and he went to. }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “My Son’s Doctors”. Faded out.}

{ Effects - A picture appeared. There were some doctors. . . }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “My Son was in the Surgery”. Faded out. }

{ Effects - A picture appeared. There were some doctors who were doing with his son’s ears and head. }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “My Son’s Inner Ear”. Faded out. }

{ Effects - A picture appeared and it was showed what inside of Jimmy’s one of inner ears. }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “Cochlea Removal From the Left Ear”. Faded out. [Same with the Right Ear] }

{ Effects - A picture appeared and it was showed his left cochlea on a cottony paper at the table. [Same with the right cochlea, too.] }

{ Effects - A white text faded in, reads, “My Son”. Faded out. }

{ Effects - A picture appeared . . . . . It was only a picture of a golden dog. }

{ Effects - Fade out into the black background for a moment before James Kittell reappeared. }

Kittell: (nodding) Really. . . It is only a joke. No, I’m not married or not have any kid. Nope. Just joke. (rubbing his hands) My dog. (he turned his head the left to see where his dog was) He is actually four years old, which is true. (rubbing his hands) Now . . . I told you guys a whole story. I knew that I’m sure you guys already feel so boiling and pissed off. You guys, hearing people, felt really boiled and outraged. Yes, I know. (rubbing his hands) You don’t want your hearing children become a deaf child. You don’t know this and I am aware that. I am very understand what you feel. It is same with my feeling when I watched many deaf kids got their CIs to be hearing kids. It hurtfully affected me, too. Like whoa! Now I told you the story and, you are upset and hurt by it. Yes, I understood. (rubbing his hands) Please take a consideration for moment. Maybe you could give a try for change the best thing for your future children. . . (rubbing his hand) A deaf child you want to give him/her a CI, I think you’d better to be wait until he or she becomes eighteen of the age or let him or her make a decision when he or she get old enough. (Unsurely shrugs while rise his hands up as if he said it’s up to you)

End.

Any question? Confusing? Please leave a comment so I’ll do my best to solve a problem! :D

Jessy~

Last edited:
Thought provoking. I had to watch it twice to make sure I understood it. If I were to have a child like this story teller, I'd want him/her to be deaf like me to carry on the culture and I'm a CI.

This is slightly off topic but when I was in physical therapy following a severe infection, I met a PT who saw my CI and asked me how long I had it. I was surpised that she knew that the thing on my left ear wasn't a hearing aid so I asked her how'd she know it was a CI.

She told me that she used to have a 2 year old client who was deaf. He had never heard a sound in his life and recently he had surgery. She said he wouldn't accept his ci and always tore it off after a few mintues and they couldn't get him to wear it longer than 15 mintues.

I asked her if he knew any sign language and the PT said he's currently enrolled in a signing program because it's apparent the CI isn't working out for him. I said I was glad to hear that because for many deaf, not being able to speak or communicate with others is very frustrating.

I thought about that boy and how it's a good thing he's enrolled in a signing program and how it's a good thing he won't end up like some of Shel's students. Others asked me if anything was wrong with me. I hadn't realized how strongly I feel about sign language for deaf children that day till the hearing started asking me if everything is alright.

Jame Kittell: I told my wife, "Don't worry. What important thing is we can just teach him to sign and support him. We could give a try to have a child and hope he/she is deaf. Just thinking positive and let a go." She agreed. Okay, time to go home. Four years later... One night, we were at dinner room with my son and ate a dinner. I felt down and sad when I looked at my son was hearing... I was thoughtful, and asked my wife why not we can discuss for a serious discussion right after my son could go to sleep for bedtime. She said sure. After our son took a bath and went to bed, so we discussed what our real feelings. I said to her that I know we felt sad that our son is hearing but it still bothers me since all four years... he is still hearing. We hoped he could lost a hearing, but no luck. Wife nodded and understood my pain. I wondered for each day and I really want him to be deaf. Wife surprised shockingly and said she felt the same thing! I blinked in surprise that we shared the same thought. I suggested we should contact to my doctor about it. I asked her if she would change her mind, but she firmly said she want her son to be deaf, period. I said okay and agreed. We discussed for a few hours and, we determined that we will make him a deaf child.

Next morning, at breakfast time, we told our son that we want him to be deaf but he was very upset and didn't want to. He asked a such question like "How I can understand what TV said? How I can communcation with my friends? Etc etc?" And, we told him, "Do not worry. There are already plans for D/deaf people." But he was not really happy about.

Cont... I'm still working on that.

Kittell: I kept apologetic to my son, but we made a desicion and he cried bitterly. We took him to his school... So we, then, contacted the doctor that we want our son to be deaf. But he/she told me our America don't allow it, and there was only a way to give a deafness to our boy. It was Brazil in South America. The doctor gave us the specialist's name, address, and etc etc. We really excited about it! We contacted some interpreters and made an appointment for the survey. It was really expensive but it was worthy! Luckily, we have (e -----? Sorry, I can't read his fast fingerspelling. Do anybody know what the word said?) to cover the pricey money.

We flew to Brazil with my son. At the hospital, after longer interviewing with three specialist doctors, we had to sign up forms, agreements, and stuff before the survey could start. They told me that survey would start by tomorrow at 8 am. We excited, of course! We told our boy about tomorrow and he was cried hardly. We confirmed him that everything will be all right and it only will take a time to learn. It'll be all right. So, next day, doctors took our son to the room... After some hours, one of doctors confirmed us that our son was indeed deaf! We were very very joyful! Finally, our son is deaf!

When our son woke up, and we talked to him without signing but he didn't hear! We was really delighted!!! But he cried sorrowfully and we kept to support and helped him in some ways.

When we got home from Brazil, and informed our families that we made him deaf. They were very angry and pissed off. I told them it was OUR decision. Please respect our choice. I already spoke all the time, now it is my turn. Same with my wife. For new generation, if a child of deaf parents is hearing, let give him/her a deafness. If there is another one who has deaf parents, give him/her a deafness! So on... It's deaf parents' decisions are just like hearing parents' decisions. Look at the picture of what hearing parents want their deaf children to be hearing ones.

Now please tell your friends, families, and everyone that is okay for hearing children become deaf children. It should be approved.

{ effects - fade out and in for each pictures.

1) A picture of airplane for Brazil 2) a picture of Del Rio, Brazil city 3) a picture of hospital at the same place, Del Rio 4) a picture of some doctors 5) a picture of doctors in the survey room 6) a picture of inner ear during surgvey 7) a picture of removal cochlea right 8) a picture of removel cochlea left

..... ..... 9) picture of James' golden dog}

Okay okay I'm almost done! Just one moment!!! +_+;;;;

Kittell: Really... it is a joke. I'm not married or not have a kid. My dog is four years old is true. So (rubbing hands) I told you a whole "story". I knew you guys already feeling so boiling and upset. I understood what you feel that you don't want your children become a deaf child. I looked at hearing parents want do the same thing to their deaf children...

(pauses while rubbing his hands) Maybe you could give a try to take a consideration for a moment. If you want to give him/her a hearing, better to be wait until the child is 18 to make a decision.

{Effects - a white text appears on a black background, and reads "Save Deaf Children from Cochlear Implant"}

OKAY.... phew! :lol: Now, I'm done. :P

EDIT: Oh yes... Sorry, I suck at interfering but I hope you get what the man said. :)

:ty: so much!!!!!!!!! Amazing job you did there Karissa!!!! :hug:

I have to say that at first I was shocked... then again... it's "normal" that, I, as a hearing person would want my child to be hearing... why not vice versa?... good question... :hmm: Maybe my child would want to be hearing, maybe he would want to be deaf... (and believe me I'd be ok with it!)

It's a tough choice to make as a parent, so why not wait until the child is older so he/she can make own decision, but that has to be told at early age or so. I'm afraid that the child might be angry at me for not making him hearing at an earlier age if deaf...

oy... too much thinking for me :roll: but I totally get the man's words!!!!

Hahaha...

Sounds like something I would write. Very good point indeed. :)

I am grateful that I grew up in a family that wait until the age of reason, which is between 12-18 depending on the family's cultural or religious background, before making such decisions. I remember being asked if I wanted a cochlear implant when I was 12 or 13, and I said "what's wrong with being deaf?" After that, the question didn't come up again until I was 18 or 19. I still stand by it. :P

Thank you for the transcript! :)

I don't know whether I misread (I don't understand sign language), but I feel very pissed off after reading what KarissaMann05 wrote. Those parents should not be allowed to have kids. I don't understand why the deaf parents should feel happy after forcing their son to be deaf. It is immoral. Nuff said.

Back