My RIGHTS to keep my Hearing Dog....

pek1 said:
:gpost:

And, may I add...God help the person who assaults a service dog.

California law states you assault a guide dog, you get 6 months prison time.

Richard

Handling people who pet you SD

pek1 said:
:gpost:

Heath,

Not sure if I asked you or someone else, but, how do you handle people who come up to you and either patronize you or start petting your dog? I am at a loss.... :confused:

I will politely explain that this is my working dog and that one should never pet without first prior permission from the handler. That to distract a working dog can cause injury to the handler. I have found that most people just don't think. Also, a lot of people are interested in learning more. It might take up a lot of my time explaining all this to the individuals :gossip: but people start stopping and listening and then the word is spred. Now some people can be downright rude and thats when I get firm and remind them that to persist is a violation of the law and that I won't hesitate to ask for assistance from a police officer.

I know it is aggravating to have to constantly explain your dog and what he does to people but I cannot stress enough education education education. Just remind yourself that everytime you educate someone that is one less person to hassle someone else.

Heath said:
Pek1, Obivously you did not see those two patches. *sighs*

I will post those two patches that you put on your dog's orange vest....

I saw them...but people don't see the sign on Snickers cape, as if it doesn't pertain to them. I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
LuvsInk said:
I will politely explain that this is my working dog and that one should never pet without first prior permission from the handler. That to distract a working dog can cause injury to the handler. I have found that most people just don't think. Also, a lot of people are interested in learning more. It might take up a lot of my time explaining all this to the individuals :gossip: but people start stopping and listening and then the word is spred. Now some people can be downright rude and thats when I get firm and remind them that to persist is a violation of the law and that I won't hesitate to ask for assistance from a police officer.

I know it is aggravating to have to constantly explain your dog and what he does to people but I cannot stress enough education education education. Just remind yourself that everytime you educate someone that is one less person to hassle someone else.

Forgive me for sounding like a snob...but...your time and my time is valuable...why must we tell them (without charge, might I add) and it keeps getting worse and worse? You and I are both NOT circus acts, but you've seen the stares and pointing...now what? The whistles, too. It does get to me.

pek1 said:
Forgive me for sounding like a snob...but...your time and my time is valuable...why must we tell them (without charge, might I add) and it keeps getting worse and worse? You and I are both NOT circus acts, but you've seen the stares and pointing...now what? The whistles, too. It does get to me.
Understood; but if you and other service dog users don't educate them, who will?

PSA's and posters help but one-on-one public contact makes the most impact.

What about making arrangements with schools for "show and tell" sessions?

Reba said:
What about making arrangements with schools for "show and tell" sessions?

I see what you're saying. I've done a "s & t" before, thought it was fun. Hmm...you just gave me an idea, so will start being more open about this. Thanks, Reba!! :thumb:

I Won!!

Hi Everyone,

Guess what? I won the case today!!! I am keeping my place and hearing dog!! :ty: for your prayers and support!! :fruit: :fruit: :fruit:

coloravalanche said:
Hi Everyone,

Guess what? I won the case today!!! I am keeping my place and hearing dog!! :ty: for your prayers and support!! :fruit: :fruit: :fruit:

Bravo!!! Yay! :applause:

coloravalanche said:
Hi Everyone,

Thats great news that you keeping your place and hearing dog! Thats stupid of your landlord, I bet your landlord gulp in big time! :ugh: I hate that when they do that... But Im very glad that you won the case!

Wonderful. Not only do you have the pleasure of winning, you finally have relief. Every victory is one step forward for service dog users.

WOW :applause: way to go!!

I am sure all of us are curious, how does ur landlord react to it?

RedheadGrrl said:

So am I ... curiouis.. how's reacts answer?

I'm so very happy for you, btw gladly you won the case at the court and rights to keep your hearing dog.. living your place.. which it's good thing!

:D

Landlord :Owned: by you.. LOL
Way to go! :appluase:

coloravalanche said:
Hi Everyone,

Beautiful!! :thumb: See, didn't I tell you to stand up to them? Others here did, too! This is good news! Thanks for letting us know!! :thumb:

Yep I'm up late again.
LMM is home alsleep. But let me tell you what happen to a good & dear friend of LMM. He lived not far from LMM. In a small town North of her, Whitehall Mi.
He had the same trouble with his landlord. He had a service dog, he was in a wheel-chair. Thats why he had his service dog. After he won his case, His landlord was so tick off ! He made LMM friend a live heck. Her friend took his landlord back to court for harassment. He won again! After 5 years of in & out of courts, the only wayto stop his Landlord was to move.
I & Lmm wish you the best. Maybe your landlord have learn a lesson. Even thou our friend try reason & education this landlord. He had no acceptment for our friend and/or his service dog!
Our local newspaper printed a long story with the landlords name . You think he be more accept after that aslo.. But oh no, He still was a real jerk!

Just beware of what may lye ahead for you. Wish you the best again,
LMM

RedheadGrrl said:

My landlord "gasped" big time! I'm pretty sure that she's probably realized that I am tough person that she can not deal with! :giggle:

coloravalanche said:
My landlord "gasped" big time! I'm pretty sure that she's probably realized that I am tough person that she can not deal with! :giggle:
Then she cannot touch you again. I am sure she is so embarrassed by it. How imagine what her friends and family said that she lost!! :giggle:

Well, WAY TO GO AGAIN!! :applause: ;)

coloravalanche said:

coloravalanche,

I mean no disrespect, but I am very, very glad you got a backbone now. Feels great, huh? Keep looking up! :)

Nesmuth said:
Tell that to Donalda
3.jpg
Ammons, our lovely CISS president, she's as very Deaf American as a Gallaudet Professor! What kind of a deaf American does things that go against the laws that were made to help them?

Richard

Richard,

Forgive me for not seeing or responding to you, earlier. I would ask for her address, but noted that she teaches at Gally...heh heh...heh...thanks for letting me know. :twisted:

Well I do not need a hearing dog. For what?? It doesnt mean that I am so helpless for being deaf. I can see everything around me which is a good enough that I do not depend on my deaf ears. You want it then you ll have to pay all those VET bills and Dog Foods all the time which is your choice to make. I respect that.

It makes sense for Deaf blind to have that hearing dog to protect themselves since they cannot see or hear very well.

Smile!
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
Well I do not need a hearing dog. For what?? It doesnt mean that I am so helpless for being deaf. I can see everything around me which is a good enough that I do not depend on my deaf ears. You want it then you ll have to pay all those VET bills and Dog Foods all the time which is your choice to make. I respect that.

It makes sense for Deaf blind to have that hearing dog to protect themselves since they cannot see or hear very well.

Smile!
Sweetmind

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am often asked why we can't get laws changed or things done. I find it to be that disabled people fight so much between themselves that they cannot forge an united front. To each their own is my motto. I don't care or comment that you don't use a service dog, why should you care or comment that we do? Some of us, like myself, went deaf later in life and have not had the time to adjust from a hearing world into the deaf world and find that a service dog helps us make that transition easier. That does not make us weak. That just means we are using every way available to us to continue to be independent. There is an old saying that has a strong meaning. You cannot judge a book by its cover. My other favorite is judge not least ye be judged.

Back