My RIGHTS to keep my Hearing Dog....

Nesmuth said:
You can get certification. We have certified dozens of animals. We've certified animal dogs, cats, ferrets, a goat, and even 'Mushu' the pot bellied pig that has made the news years ago. HUD and Immigration have referred people with animals to our agency for certification services and we've been doing this for almost 5 years and we have never had any problems.

Richard

Richard,

With all due respect, you'd automatically have a problem with me. My hearing dog has been trained by me. She goes where I go. If you or anyone wants to stop me, be my guest, because you're setting yourself up to become a defendent. The police will be enroute and I will enforce the full ADA. I have called the police before to enforce it, will do it again. I've also had people go to the Press to tell them what I've been going through. Two stories about me made it in, one went front page.

As for some self-proclaimed agency "testing" my dog...nope. I am my own trainer, tester and advocate.

I assume, Richard, that you are a hearing person. I am hoh. Hearing people have screwed me since before being diagnosed as hoh...in other words, they dropped the ball and misdiagnosed...and got paid for it. I, now on the other hand, do not and will not, curtsy to them or anyone. It is as if I have to proove that I need hearing aids. Do hearing people have to do this? If not, then why should I have to? Why should coloravalanche have to? Why should she have to "proove" to anyone that she needs a hearing dog. I encourage her to contact the ACLU, if she's still reading.

I will say, however, that each individual state says they require "certification" but the ADA supercedes, as I'm aware of that. ADA is Federal, state is not. Hence, Federal always supercedes state.

It also helps that I am my own advocate and am not afraid to 'strong arm' anyone when necessary. I don't say that to pick a fight, but do say that to tell others that they need to stand up for themselves and not take anything from anyone, so long as they KNOW they are in the right, as far as the law is concerned. I do train ADA on the spot, which they receive for no charge, while others charge to train. One person I'm aware of charges $400/hour, two hour minimum per person.

Nesmuth said:
And in the case of housing, building and apartment owners and their lawyers have been successful in getting what they want because the animal doesn't have a certificate or any 3rd party acknowledgement the service animal is for real.

Richard,

This also looks like lawyers that are overriding the state's constitution, as well as the Federal one. Are these quacks still practicing law? They shouldn't be.

I'd have a heyday in the courtroom on this one. After declaring victory, I would petition, on the spot and to the bar association of each attorney's state, their disbarrment.

Today, I went to Hartford for the meeting on service dogs. you DO HAVE THE RIGHT UNDER ADA to use service dogs to help you.

rjr2006 said:
Today, I went to Hartford for the meeting on service dogs. you DO HAVE THE RIGHT UNDER ADA to use service dogs to help you.

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: Ain't life great with a service dog? Snickers has opened so many doors for me, but the one part I hate is the finger pointing people do, as if we're a circus act. Do you get that or people come up to you asking (actually they're telling you) to pet your dog? How do you deal with them?

well, I don't have a service dog and that two people discussed why many people don't get it that their dogs are there to help them. i might consider service dog or monkey because I just know that personal care assistants will not always be with me 24/7

pek1 said:
Richard,

This also looks like lawyers that are overriding the state's constitution, as well as the Federal one. Are these quacks still practicing law? They shouldn't be.

I tried raising that with the State Bar associations but they only control the lawyers. Not the judges that decide the lawyers can have it their way. State Bar association dont control what the lawyers can say to a judge. And most judges here are elected and theyre good as politicians.

The sad part of the entire advocacy game is that we have people calling us 'self proclaimed agency' when we have professionals with us and we're relied on by the county, the HUD, and INS, and we get funds from the county and the state. And our testing procedures has been developed with the assistance of several dog trainers.

And finally, I'm not hearing.

Richard

Hello.

If I may, I'd like to clear up a lingering misconception harbored by certain posters about service animals and the ADA. While it is true that the ADA allows provisions for service animals and their qualifications (See USDOJ's take on this subject), this is only good for public accommodations under Title III. (I'm not so sure under Title I & II, but I assume the same provision applies.)

However, this ADA provision does not apply to housing. Rather, the Fair Housing Act would be applicable. Check out Disability Law Resource Project's website covering this topic. Thankfully, nearly all 50 states have passed their own laws governing service animals and access to housing for disabled individuals.

So, a Deaf person, faced with a no-pets policy, does have various Federal and State remedies in dealing with landlords about keeping their service animals in their tenancies.

Also the certificates should be shown to people, and if they don't believe it, then bring ADA paper with you all the time.

rjr2006 said:
Also the certificates should be shown to people, and if they don't believe it, then bring ADA paper with you all the time.

Shoot!! Why didn't I think of that...why not bring my audiogram, my health record, my dental record, my service dog's health record, poop bags, extra batteries, extra leash, another hearing aid or two...damn! When and where is this going to end?

The paper from the ADA website, I presume, is about the service dogs. That can be done.

Nesmuth said:
I tried raising that with the State Bar associations but they only control the lawyers. Not the judges that decide the lawyers can have it their way. State Bar association dont control what the lawyers can say to a judge. And most judges here are elected and theyre good as politicians.

The sad part of the entire advocacy game is that we have people calling us 'self proclaimed agency' when we have professionals with us and we're relied on by the county, the HUD, and INS, and we get funds from the county and the state. And our testing procedures has been developed with the assistance of several dog trainers.

And finally, I'm not hearing.

Richard

Richard,

Several things. First, as I've stated before, a "hearie" has no right to tell me or you or even "certify" that you or I are either hoh or deaf. That, is a matter for only the audiogram, which speaks for itself. As for the professionals and dog trainers...I have no idea where people go to school to become a dog trainer, as I have trained my own dog and she is constantly in training. I see more people that act worse in public than my dog ever could, yet we're challenged and they're not. I see cigarette butts and trash all over the place, yet not one poop from a dog. When one person makes a fuss about dog poop, there's millions more human trash (litter) in lbs., that's not picked up, so why don't humans just pick up their own litter and leave the dogs alone? Maybe we need to start "controlling the human population...have your child neutered or spayed" instead, opposite of what Bob Barker from the Price is Right says?

pek1 said:
First, as I've stated before, a "hearie" has no right to tell me or you or even "certify" that you or I are either hoh or deaf. That, is a matter for only the audiogram, which speaks for itself.

Guess what!

Even the deafs who run CISS.org better known as the Deaflympics coordinators do require audiograms before the deafs can play their games and the judges and their organizations are soo much exposed to CISS audiogram policies thanks to Rafael Pinchas lawsuit as it has done good to shock the judges pretty good and they seem to be following CISS's example with regards to the certification issue.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Guess what!

Even the deafs who run CISS.org better known as the Deaflympics coordinators do require audiograms before the deafs can play their games and the judges and their organizations are soo much exposed to CISS audiogram policies thanks to Rafael Pinchas lawsuit as it has done good to shock the judges pretty good and they seem to be following CISS's example with regards to the certification issue.

Richard

This is precisely the problem that is going on. :roll: Why are people, especially the deaf, insisting on "certification?" It tells the hearing world, "Okay, look, please...have pity on me, I have a hearing loss and I want you to like me and :bowdown: I'll be nice and do things your way." If this be the case, "Hearies" win, deaf lose. I've been there...letting hearies dictate...now I play hardball and love the rules...let me into the courtroom with the attorneys of my choice and they will be begging for mercy. The documents for the ADA need to stand on their own, exactly as they are stated and written, without some deaf people kissing off our rights, settling for what they want or settling out of court. Damn it, Richard, bring those bastards to their knees begging mercy from the deaf/hoh, it's time we did it!

Whats in a name

Get a copy of your State's statutes concerning Service Dogs/Assistance Dogs/Hearing Dogs, however they have it listed as well as a copy of the American with disabilities Act and keep them with you. Federal Law supercedes state law. Your civil rights have been violated. It is illegal to harrass a service dog user. Your dog does not have to be "certified" even if your state statutes says so. Again ADA trumps state statute. Here in Florida we have spent 3 years lobbying at the State Capitol until we were able to have the state statute changed to reflect the ADA. Some of the wording still doesn't match but we are getting there. We finally got some civic service announcements put on television regarding access issues. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight.

PS: For those in Florida the Statute is 413.08. Helps when it reflects ADA because most police departments are totally lost when it comes to federal law.

LuvsInk said:
Get a copy of your State's statutes concerning Service Dogs/Assistance Dogs/Hearing Dogs, however they have it listed as well as a copy of the American with disabilities Act and keep them with you. Federal Law supercedes state law. Your civil rights have been violated. It is illegal to harrass a service dog user. Your dog does not have to be "certified" even if your state statutes says so. Again ADA trumps state statute. Here in Florida we have spent 3 years lobbying at the State Capitol until we were able to have the state statute changed to reflect the ADA. Some of the wording still doesn't match but we are getting there. We finally got some civic service announcements put on television regarding access issues. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight.

PS: For those in Florida the Statute is 413.08. Helps when it reflects ADA because most police departments are totally lost when it comes to federal law.

:gpost:

And, may I add...God help the person who assaults a service dog.

Heath said:
Here is a place where you can buy an orange vest to end all agruements and have a copy of the ADA law and necessary paperwork. I finally found a place where you can buy an orange vest and a patch to put on the orange vest.

http://www.servicedogequipment.com/equipment2.htm

:gpost:

Heath,

Not sure if I asked you or someone else, but, how do you handle people who come up to you and either patronize you or start petting your dog? I am at a loss.... :confused:

Pek1, Obivously you did not see those two patches. *sighs*

I will post those two patches that you put on your dog's orange vest....

Last edited:
Like I wanna stand out in a crowd by wearing an orange vest! Sheesh!

Eyeth said:
If I may, I'd like to clear up a lingering misconception harbored by certain posters about service animals and the ADA.

Exactly! Confucus rules when we have too many people not looking up to people behind organizations that are not state funded, specifically ODA funded.

Privatly funded organizations can do things more colorfully than what state funded orgnizations can do in black and white.

Richard

pek1 said:
This is precisely the problem that is going on. :roll: Why are people, especially the deaf, insisting on "certification?" It tells the hearing world, "Okay, look, please...have pity on me, I have a hearing loss and I want you to like me and :bowdown: I'll be nice and do things your way." If this be the case, "Hearies" win, deaf lose. I've been there...letting hearies dictate...now I play hardball and love the rules...let me into the courtroom with the attorneys of my choice and they will be begging for mercy. The documents for the ADA need to stand on their own, exactly as they are stated and written, without some deaf people kissing off our rights, settling for what they want or settling out of court. Damn it, Richard, bring those bastards to their knees begging mercy from the deaf/hoh, it's time we did it!

Tell that to Donalda
3.jpg
Ammons, our lovely CISS president, she's as very Deaf American as a Gallaudet Professor! What kind of a deaf American does things that go against the laws that were made to help them?

Richard

Back